The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread

Scroll to see replies

I found quantitative reasoning so difficult(?)!!!!! Always running out of time:frown:
Any tips?
So I have just over four weeks til my exam and I'm STILL struggling with medify's VR comprehension questions. I can do the ones in Kaplan fairly quickly and I feel like I'm improving but for some reason, I just can't do the ones or medify. Which would you say is more representative- medify or Kaplan?
Hi, I am using both. Indeed, initially I also struggled with medify's VR comprehension but gradually I picked up my strategy to answer. Clearly, not reading the whole passage works best. If I was given a passage, I do a very quick skim reading and straight way jump onto reading question. Then I will come back to passage to read more carefully this time but keeping in mind to look for answer I want. It really works people, just put in your infinite amount of time practicing.

I have my UKCAT on 8th August and I am a mature applicant. Will update here after my exam.

Take a deep breath and execute your practice sessions :smile:

Best wishes
In terms of the Quantitative Reasoning section, is 30 seconds an appropriate time to be spending on each individual question?

How much time should be spent in a section of 20 questions with twelve minutes (this is practice)
Does anyone know how to access the Kaplan online free ukcat mock test on here?!!!
For everyone who've done the ukcat- how long were the VR passages compared to medify/official mocks?
Reply 2066
I am curious, does everyone do better in DA? I want to think that it is my specialty, since I can get above 800 in it, maybe even 850 with further practice. I got 4 wrong last time in the mock.

For the QR and VR, how comparable are medify and the official mocks to the real deal?
Original post by -inspired-
I haven't sat the test yet so I can't comment on how representative anything is, but my tactic for QR is to read the question first, then skim read the information and pick out the parts that I need. It's still important to skim read everything, just incase you have to use information from some obscure bullet point right at the end, but I find that I'm faster if I read the question first because I don't get hung up on reading unnecessary information.

It might also help to improve your mental maths because doing short calculations in your head, or using mental maths to estimate/make an educated guess, will be a lot faster than using the calculator.

Hope that helped a little :smile:.

Thanks, it's good to know how others are studying. Have you done any mocks yet? If so, how did you do on them?
Reply 2068
Original post by -inspired-
For QR it might help to try and improve your mental maths, because working out the answer to simple questions in your head or using mental maths to make an educated guess will be much quicker than using the calculator for every question. I'm applying to GEM too and my previous degree was in English literature so this is something I really need to work on!

For VR I think all you can do is practice and your ability to pick out the keyword quickly without reading the passage will improve. Make sure you're skimming the text and just looking for the keyword, sometimes I find myself slipping into reading without realising it. You could also work on your speed reading (reducing sub-vocalisation etc...) and try and make your keywords as easy to pick out as possible (a date, a capitalised word etc...).

I hope that helps :smile:.

Ooh where are you applying? When's your exam?

I really do need to improve my mental maths! And I'm doing the same- I'm skimming but actually end up reading! It's a nightmare! If it was still just t/f/ct it would probably be my second best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by u_s_e_r
Can someone give me some advice on verbal reasoning, no matter how much practise i do, i don't seem to be improving.

Hi there! What seems to be the main challenge. Is it timing, a certain question type, deciding between answers? If you can give a little more detail we are happy to help.

The Medic Portal
Could someone please help me with qr? My scores aren't improving and I just don't understand what to do.
Original post by AccioTardis
In terms of the Quantitative Reasoning section, is 30 seconds an appropriate time to be spending on each individual question?

How much time should be spent in a section of 20 questions with twelve minutes (this is practice)

Hi,

In the QR section of the UKCAT you have 24 minutes to answer 36 questions - this works out to 40 seconds per question. If you can get down to 30 to 35 seconds per question during practice you'll be in a good position for the real exam.

Good luck!

The Medic Portal
How similar are medify mocks to the actual ukcat?
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there! What seems to be the main challenge. Is it timing, a certain question type, deciding between answers? If you can give a little more detail we are happy to help.

The Medic Portal

For QR are the easier questions towards the end and harder ones at the start?? Also, when would be the best time to flag a question and move after 10 seconds of trying to understand the question?
My Exam is in 10 days, would it be worth getting medify for this last period?
Original post by dboyh2o
does anyone know how to access the kaplan online free ukcat mock test on here?!!!

yes. Theres a link and a code somewhere in the book (first couple of pages) and it tells you to register with your email address when you go to that link. They send a link to your email. And thats it. Theres a short one and a regular length version too. Goodluck!
Original post by thatblackguy
My Exam is in 10 days, would it be worth getting medify for this last period?

YES! get the one week course. it really helped me! although i didnt do as well as i hoped, it could have been a lot worse.
I did really bad in the medify easy mock:frown: granted I didn't focus/ try as hard as I could have done, its still pretty disheartening :redface:
Original post by Lularose83
I did really bad in the medify easy mock:frown: granted I didn't focus/ try as hard as I could have done, its still pretty disheartening :redface:

How badly? I'm sure you didn't do that badly, and even if you did, we still have a lot of time to improve :smile: I mean, we have over 4 weeks :h:
Original post by thechemistress
How badly? I'm sure you didn't do that badly, and even if you did, we still have a lot of time to improve :smile: I mean, we have over 4 weeks :h:

Just over 650 for QR and VR and 450 ish for AR and DA. AR was supposed to be my best section, its so frustrating:frown: I hope 4 weeks is enough for us!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending