The Student Room Group

Which Chemistry modules should I resit to achieve an A for entry into medicine?

Just got my results! Very pleased that I got a B considering I thought i'd done terribly. :rolleyes:

my results for OCR Chemistry A were:

Unit 1 F321 - 57/90 (middle of the range C so could be retaken whilst I do
A2) 30% weighting

Unit 2 F322 - 110/150 (solid B) 50% weighting
Unit 3 F323 - 48/60 (A) 20% weighting

I'm definitely going to retake F321 as it's a C! but I'm not sure whether I should just work my ass off for that module only to try and get the best mark possible and reply on bringing up my overall marks in A2 or retake both Units 1 and 2 so that hopefully I can drag up my pretty good B in Unit 2 to an A.

I don't really want to retake Unit 2:angry: as it's such a marathon of an exam but for the sake of an A I would. I just don't want to spend too much time on retakes at the expense of doing worse in A2. Also I have to take into consideration the weightings of the modules. i;'d have to achieve a really high A grade in Unit 1 anyway to bring me even close to an A.

Would appreciate some advice!:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
well if you have no A grade results you are not going to get an A overall, so unless you are confident that you would get a reasonably high A in unit 1 I would redo both, since you only have to go up one grade in unit 2.

I managed to get a B in chemistry after getting an A in unit 1 and a C in unit 2. with any luck I will get predicted an A or I will be screwed. definately retaking unit 2 after that
Reply 2
kinda the same situation as mine! I got a B overall(A-level) for my chemistry-edexcel however!sadly, I missed my place for medicine this year. So, I'm gonna resit chemistry and apply again. All the best of luck for you. My opinion is to try ur best to achieve the required grades. It's always worthy to give it a try. Just more hard work :smile: Don't let it to be missed and losing a year ...
Reply 3
i would retake them both, even though it would be alot of work. reason being is that A2 work is obviously harder, and so will be harder to get good marks in. you want to bank as many marks in AS as possible, so you don't need to get as much in A2
Reply 4
That's right. I'm not tt familiar with OCR. But, I struggled on my unit 2! I got 97% in my unit 1 and 80%unit 4. 2&5 came out as B for me.
I thought a high grade in my unit 1 will help me. but it didn't make an A for me. Although A2 is much harder, but it's important to do well on them as well. Also, be aware of getting good grades on ur practical modules. It helps as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending