The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Target Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glebp
Manchester doesn't belong in the list you mentioned.

Yes, Manchester is a semi-target, but the point still stands.
Original post by Benevides
and is the difference between Durham and King's really that big? I am an overseas student, so I will be needing a visa. Don't you think that being in London and being able to more actively network might increase my chances?

Furthermore, what if I don't go to work in London, but instead in Zurich or Singapore? which one would be better?

Guessing you're Singaporean? PM me if you want to know/discuss more.
Original post by makrxx
Guessing you're Singaporean? PM me if you want to know/discuss more.

I am actually Brazilian :smile:
Original post by Benevides
I am actually Brazilian :smile:

Ah cool. Personally if money isn't an issue, because London is a fair bit more expensive, I'd say Kings. Being in London opens up so many more opportunities, coffee chats etc.

+ London is where it's at really. Durham is dead...
Original post by makrxx
Ah cool. Personally if money isn't an issue, because London is a fair bit more expensive, I'd say Kings. Being in London opens up so many more opportunities, coffee chats etc.

+ London is where it's at really. Durham is dead...

I think I made my decision. I am just waiting for an answer of Durham about their study abroad programs because they are dirty cheap(I only pay 15% of tuition). If I can graduate in 3 years with one year abroad I will probably be going to Durham. If not, King's
Original post by Wired_1800
Try your best to go to York. Like you wrote, York is much better than Hallam in terms of prospects. Even the woman advised you to study that subject at York.

Also i think Economics is a broader subject that can give you the skills needed in wealth management. Don't limit your opportunities in both University and course.

All the best.

Thanks for the reply (and sorry for mine being late) but I meant that the lady recommended the Hallam course to me - strange I know but that's what she said.

Original post by Princepieman
Going to Hallam would pretty much nullify most chances you have at any decent finance job, not going to sugar coat that sorry.

Haha fair enough, cheers for being honest. If I were to miss out on grades for York would you recommend retaking my A2 exams for a year or going straight into a uni like Hallam.

Also, does the optional year in industry with the F+I Hallam course not add weight to it? Obviously I know it has a lot of catching up to do to compete with York but maybe the industry year could be beneficial? I'm not like most people in this thread that want to dive into an IB job straight after uni, but what sort of salary expectations would you expect from that Hallam course? Would £26k ish be too unreasonable as a starting salary? (Unistats has the average of £22k for that course but maybe it could increase for someone who is at the top end of the spectrum for that course - i.e. achieving ABB at uni). Thanks :smile:
Original post by joddcfc

Haha fair enough, cheers for being honest. If I were to miss out on grades for York would you recommend retaking my A2 exams for a year or going straight into a uni like Hallam.

Also, does the optional year in industry with the F+I Hallam course not add weight to it? Obviously I know it has a lot of catching up to do to compete with York but maybe the industry year could be beneficial? I'm not like most people in this thread that want to dive into an IB job straight after uni, but what sort of salary expectations would you expect from that Hallam course? Would £26k ish be too unreasonable as a starting salary? (Unistats has the average of £22k for that course but maybe it could increase for someone who is at the top end of the spectrum for that course - i.e. achieving ABB at uni). Thanks :smile:

1. Yes.

2. No weight at all with anything high finance related, most recruiting is done through internship programs not placement years. Plus you'd still have rhe hallam brand holding you back even if you tried to recruit for the few placement year/off cycle internships firms have.

3. Salary expectation is dependent on what job you get and on the company. Could be sub £14k if you end up not managing to get an actual grad job and are working in retail or something, could be £15-18k as an accounts assistant for some small company, could be low to high 20s if you get a decent grad job or grad scheme in accounting, finance department of a company etc... It's not a realistic question to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joddcfc
I want to go into something like investment management. I currently hold an offer of AAB from York to do Economics, however I'm not 100% sure I can meet this offer. Because of the close location to my home and the fact that a lady who owns a wealth management firm recommended the course to me, I have begun to look at Finance and Investment at Sheffield Hallam as a clearing option. It is clear that York is very much a better university than Hallam, however to what extent would going for the F+I course at Hallam as opposed to Economics at York hinder my prospects of getting a reasonably paid job in investment management, wealth management, etc? I'm not bothered about IB.

Made a thread a few weeks back that goes into more details here if anyone is interested. Thanks :smile:

Hi @joddcfc

I saw this post last week and have been trying to get in touch with one of our finance and investment students to give you a bit more insight into our course. Greg is just coming towards the end of his course and has offered to share his thoughts:

'What's great about the course is that it gives you a broad understanding of investment, teaching you about the history of finance, how economics is applied, the various investment asset classes and how to interpret the financial health of a company. It combines elements of investment, economics, accounting, law, history and career progression into one course that gives you the crucial skills needed to succeed in the investment industry. Not only that, it's use of the CISI material when constructing the teaching syllabus makes it perfectly suited for the investment/wealth management industry as the CISI is one of the main bodies for the industry.

Sheffield Hallam has numerous connections with investment banks, wealth management firms and brokers that look to take on students for internships, placements and graduate roles. I was able to secure a placement at a leading wealth management firm who manage over £20bn in assets by using one of these connections and it was an invaluable experience. It allowed me to not just develop the skills and knowledge I learnt in my first two years, but also understand how what we learn is applied in the real world.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this course for anyone looking at a career in investment/wealth management. It's a course tailored to the needs of these industries and has actually enabled me to secure a graduate portfolio manager role at the wealth management firm where I did my placement.'

If you have any other questions, I can send them on to Greg and he'll be happy to answer them. :smile: In the meantime, if you'd like to find out more about how clearing works, you can register your interest here and we'll send you some updates nearer the time.

Hannah
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @joddcfc

I saw this post last week and have been trying to get in touch with one of our finance and investment students to give you a bit more insight into our course. Greg is just coming towards the end of his course and has offered to share his thoughts:

'What's great about the course is that it gives you a broad understanding of investment, teaching you about the history of finance, how economics is applied, the various investment asset classes and how to interpret the financial health of a company. It combines elements of investment, economics, accounting, law, history and career progression into one course that gives you the crucial skills needed to succeed in the investment industry. Not only that, it's use of the CISI material when constructing the teaching syllabus makes it perfectly suited for the investment/wealth management industry as the CISI is one of the main bodies for the industry.

Sheffield Hallam has numerous connections with investment banks, wealth management firms and brokers that look to take on students for internships, placements and graduate roles. I was able to secure a placement at a leading wealth management firm who manage over £20bn in assets by using one of these connections and it was an invaluable experience. It allowed me to not just develop the skills and knowledge I learnt in my first two years, but also understand how what we learn is applied in the real world.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this course for anyone looking at a career in investment/wealth management. It's a course tailored to the needs of these industries and has actually enabled me to secure a graduate portfolio manager role at the wealth management firm where I did my placement.'

If you have any other questions, I can send them on to Greg and he'll be happy to answer them. :smile: In the meantime, if you'd like to find out more about how clearing works, you can register your interest here and we'll send you some updates nearer the time.

Hannah

Oh please. If you apply to a high finance job with Sheffield Hallam they'll throw your application in the bin and sue you for wasting their time. Your university is a joke and no self respecting finance firm would hire from you, it's too embarrassing for them.
smh even unis for autistic ppl are apparently good
Original post by popop33
Oh please. If you apply to a high finance job with Sheffield Hallam they'll throw your application in the bin and sue you for wasting their time. Your university is a joke and no self respecting finance firm would hire from you, it's too embarrassing for them.

Chill. It'd be a challenge getting a FO role from Sheffield Hallam but it's a challenge for most students at target universities getting any decent role in finance. Being productive with networking and knowing what you're talking about can (and does) make all the difference.
Is not being in London an absolute game-breaker for IB? Seems like everything in London is just way ahead of everywhere else, including the uni's... Must be hard to get into spring weeks and other internships if you live outside of London no? I know banks still recruit elsewhere but at the end of the day you'll still have to travel down there
Original post by addingishard
Is not being in London an absolute game-breaker for IB? Seems like everything in London is just way ahead of everywhere else, including the uni's... Must be hard to get into spring weeks and other internships if you live outside of London no? I know banks still recruit elsewhere but at the end of the day you'll still have to travel down there

London provides students with many opportunities that can help a lot but that's usually not used by all students to the fullest. London students tend to be better because most who apply are from LSE and UCL which are targets which gives the perception that their strong representation in IB is because of their location.
Hi, I am thinking of applying for biomed at Warwick and I know it isn't exactly Maths or Econ however, I thought that if it was a target uni, then it wouldn't matter what degree I'd do? Any thoughts?
Original post by amjam441
Hi, I am thinking of applying for biomed at Warwick and I know it isn't exactly Maths or Econ however, I thought that if it was a target uni, then it wouldn't matter what degree I'd do? Any thoughts?

Go for it, do what you enjoy. Just be motivated to apply for Spring Weeks as soon as you get to uni, if not before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Go for it, do what you enjoy. Just be motivated to apply for Spring Weeks as soon as you get to uni, if not before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 596
Hello, I will study MSc in Finance at Cass this fall. Does anybody know the class profile of the 2016 intake? What types of jobs did the students get after graduating?
Original post by Ricao
Hello, I will study MSc in Finance at Cass this fall. Does anybody know the class profile of the 2016 intake? What types of jobs did the students get after graduating?

Try LinkedIn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Guys do actually banks/consulting firms check your grades ?
Original post by Ibac
Guys do actually banks/consulting firms check your grades ?

Some do. During the pre-screening, they ask for your documents including your degree results and transcripts.

They make sure that you are, who you claim you are and have not lied in your application. Be careful.

Banks and consulting firms tend to take a zero tolerance policy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11948378/British-trainee-bankers-at-JP-Morgan-sacked-after-cheating-at-basic-maths-test.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending