The Student Room Group

The TSR Tamil Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SenSel
Oooh AS levels. Good luck! I'm assuming you're doing the traditional bio, chem, physics and maths combo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

pretty close, instead of physics I take psychology...and I really regret taking biology...oh well. I think I've spoken to you on this thread before, you're at university right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why's that? I was terrible at bio personally. Didn't mind AQA Biol1, but the EMPAs and Biol2 were a no-go for me.

Yes, we spoke this time last year, I think.
I'm a second year uni student.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SenSel
Why's that? I was terrible at bio personally. Didn't mind AQA Biol1, but the EMPAs and Biol2 were a no-go for me.

Yes, we spoke this time last year, I think.
I'm a second year uni student.

it's been a year? oh wow haha. I do edexcel biology, and I pretty much knew I wasn't going to enjoy it much but I couldn't be bothered to drop it. I enjoy my other subject though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bubblegumcat
it's been a year? oh wow haha. I do edexcel biology, and I pretty much knew I wasn't going to enjoy it much but I couldn't be bothered to drop it. I enjoy my other subject though

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so. The thread died April-ish and then when I checked last week, people were talking about virginity so I came back to salvage what was left of it.

What do you plan to drop for next year? If you're a med applicant, surely you'd have to drop psychology to have a better chance? No? :s

Glad you enjoy your other subjects. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol@ some of the posts in this thread.
Original post by SenSel
I think so. The thread died April-ish and then when I checked last week, people were talking about virginity so I came back to salvage what was left of it.

What do you plan to drop for next year? If you're a med applicant, surely you'd have to drop psychology to have a better chance? No? :s

Glad you enjoy your other subjects. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

dropping biology, and hopefully I'll do well enough in chemistry to keep it next year (I failed my mock lol) I originally planned to keep biology and drop psychology, but biology is too much for me, and psychology is really interesting :smile:

don't worry I'm not a med applicant, not smart enough to do it😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
dropping biology, and hopefully I'll do well enough in chemistry to keep it next year (I failed my mock lol) I originally planned to keep biology and drop psychology, but biology is too much for me, and psychology is really interesting :smile:

don't worry I'm not a med applicant, not smart enough to do it😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see, sounds good. I got an E in my AS mock. Are you doing edexcel Chem?

Between you and me, in my opinion psychology is much harder for us Tamils.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SenSel

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do ocr A for chemistry

and I'm not sure if you're implying something there haha..

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do ocr A for chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by SenSel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lols. Physch would be harder for our parents more like :P

And Bubblegum cat? I think you should drop what you least enjoy. Theres a better chance of you getting good grades in the subject you really enjoy and understand. But make sure you look at uni course specifications, because for some courses they specify specific subjects in their entry requirements :smile:
Original post by jv.lalloo
Lols. Physch would be harder for our parents more like :P

And Bubblegum cat? I think you should drop what you least enjoy. Theres a better chance of you getting good grades in the subject you really enjoy and understand. But make sure you look at uni course specifications, because for some courses they specify specific subjects in their entry requirements :smile:

ahh I see, that makes more sense :smile: and I wanted to drop biology but I don't want to only do 3 AS, I guess it's better if I at least try, I'll drop it after year 12 though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do ocr A for chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard that's dreadful!

I was implying it's not as regarded by the elder Tamil folk which for some just adds to the pressure.
Original post by SenSel
I've heard that's dreadful!

I was implying it's not as regarded by the elder Tamil folk which for some just adds to the pressure.

yes it is quite dreadful, the ocr papers are so hard...how was edexcel?

that does make more sense aha, my cousin tried to put me off from doing psychology at uni...then again my dad suggested to me to become a psychologist, that's quite a hard job to get into though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mutton Rolls :colondollar:
Original post by TheHonestMisty
Mutton Rolls :colondollar:

The only good thing about children's birthdays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SenSel
The only good thing about children's birthdays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly:biggrin:
Vanakkam! I've been in search for the Tamils thread for a long time now. Thank god I found one in tsr today!
So, I'm a Chennaite with big dreams. I applied to study Law in a bunch of unis in the UK and now that I've received offers from the ones I like, I'm having a tough time choosing one. So, I've received offers from Uni of Bristol(unconditional), Uni of Birmingham and Durham University. Waiting to hear back Warwick, but I'm not really looking forward to spending three years in there. Please help me out by sharing your opinion. :smile:
Original post by EtherealElf
Vanakkam! I've been in search for the Tamils thread for a long time now. Thank god I found one in tsr today!
So, I'm a Chennaite with big dreams. I applied to study Law in a bunch of unis in the UK and now that I've received offers from the ones I like, I'm having a tough time choosing one. So, I've received offers from Uni of Bristol(unconditional), Uni of Birmingham and Durham University. Waiting to hear back Warwick, but I'm not really looking forward to spending three years in there. Please help me out by sharing your opinion. :smile:

vannakkam! i was born in chennai and i did my primary education there - i moved to uk - birmingham when i was 6! where are you in chennai?

for law, id go for:

1st choice - warwick (it is one of the best uni in the uk)

2nd choice - either birmingham, bristol or durham...it doesnt matter.

i would say warwick is slightly better than other units and the cost of living is cheaper than other units too. ask more people bro but in my opinion warwick is slightly better than other units for employment, reputation and education.

good luck
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by varshanct95
vannakkam! i was born in chennai and i did my primary education there - i moved to uk - birmingham when i was 6! where are you in chennai?

for law, id go for:

1st choice - warwick (it is one of the best uni in the uk)

2nd choice - either birmingham, bristol or durham...it doesnt matter.

i would say warwick is slightly better than other units and the cost of living is cheaper than other units too. ask more people bro but in my opinion warwick is slightly better than other units for employment, reputation and education.

good luck

Oh! Thanks Varsha(I hope I didn't change your gender :tongue:).
I'm from West Mambalam, what about you?
And how different is UK in comparison to South India? I hope the culture shock won't be as pronounced as they say, even the accent shock. Accent is the only thing I'm really concerned about, honestly!
Does Warwick graduates(international) get jobs in there? I'd really love to work there for a couple of years to gain some experience and mainly, to settle the debt I'll be getting myself into.
Thanks a lot for your opinion, again. I'm in dire need of guidance from fellow Tamils who live/study in the UK.
Original post by EtherealElf
Oh! Thanks Varsha(I hope I didn't change your gender :tongue:).
I'm from West Mambalam, what about you?
And how different is UK in comparison to South India? I hope the culture shock won't be as pronounced as they say, even the accent shock. Accent is the only thing I'm really concerned about, honestly!
Does Warwick graduates(international) get jobs in there? I'd really love to work there for a couple of years to gain some experience and mainly, to settle the debt I'll be getting myself into.
Thanks a lot for your opinion, again. I'm in dire need of guidance from fellow Tamils who live/study in the UK.

You did indeed - its varshan! :wink: but yeah, i get called varsha, the most annoying one I've heard is 'varshini'.....

Well, when i lived in India, I was in Anna Nagar! still have few of my cousins living there now and i visit them frequently!

It depends where you are in the UK. If you go London, you'll feel like you're in India cos there are lots of tamils there - almost every uni there has a tamil society where you can meet up with the fellow tamils and have a great time. As you know, I am from Birmingham and I personally prefer london and ill be heading there this year for uni!

You still get quite a few tamils going Warwick/Birmingham. I don't think there are many tamils in Bristol though.
Don't worry about the accent man, you're english seems fine! and if i meet a tamil, id be speaking to them in tamil / tanglishh anyway :wink:

Warwick graduates get a job where ever you go in the world man, it has a big uk and international reputation - the employment rate is high too! and also, you can work part time while you study, if you want some extra money!

don't worry, I'm always here to help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by varshanct95
You did indeed - its varshan! :wink: but yeah, i get called varsha, the most annoying one I've heard is 'varshini'.....

Well, when i lived in India, I was in Anna Nagar! still have few of my cousins living there now and i visit them frequently!

It depends where you are in the UK. If you go London, you'll feel like you're in India cos there are lots of tamils there - almost every uni there has a tamil society where you can meet up with the fellow tamils and have a great time. As you know, I am from Birmingham and I personally prefer london and ill be heading there this year for uni!

You still get quite a few tamils going Warwick/Birmingham. I don't think there are many tamils in Bristol though.
Don't worry about the accent man, you're english seems fine! and if i meet a tamil, id be speaking to them in tamil / tanglishh anyway :wink:

Warwick graduates get a job where ever you go in the world man, it has a big uk and international reputation - the employment rate is high too! and also, you can work part time while you study, if you want some extra money!

don't worry, I'm always here to help!

Ah, lol, sorry! :biggrin:
From what I've seen, all unis seem okay with part time jobs. I heard that Oxbridge doesn't let students to work a lot as they have loads to study. Well, Bristol has a Tamil society, but they're not very active - there wasn't any event planned when I checked them in the student union website.
And London? That's swell :clap2:
Which uni? if you don't mind me asking that is..
I will have just 4 months, after I complete the course, before the politely kick me out. The immigration department is quite tough with the rules. Sad news for me.
And man, I'm getting really confused with the slang words the Brits are using. Coming from India, I'm more accustomed to American slang :P
Ah, thanks Varshan! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest