The Student Room Group

Pareto Law Recruitment Agency

Scroll to see replies

I applied through Pareto and a week later I had been successful at an assessment centre (5/40 were successful) and had been for three interviews before accepting one of my job offers. The Pareto recruitment method itself might not be for everyone - it can seem quite pushy but if you make sure you know what you're looking for and sticking to it, make it work for you. Also at the end f the day these jobs aren't pure commission jobs as mentioned below, my basic salary is actually much higher than any of my grad friends who have been working for two years so salary wise they offer really strong basic packages and all of the roles they fill also offer commission and most people have company cars etc. So what is it worth to get a good job?
I have now been in my role for 7 months and absolutely love my job and my company. It isn't easy and as a lot of people commenting below seem to have been turned down their recruitment process is for a reason - the jobs are challenging. I am already running all new clients and have a set of existing accounts to manage so I am now out of the office most days.
I have attended 5 training sessions, two with Lou who has been amazing and by far the best of the trainers I have had. The sessions can be with a mix of industries and some trainers might struggle to make it relevant to your job but Lou literally goes through each role and how you can make things work for you. Lou also uses a lot more interaction and engagement rather than just working through a training plan as other training companies have done.
Account management has certainly been the most eye opening, Lou has got us to look at what an ideal company would be doing but also to give each other ideas and I have been able to take a full action plan back to my company for the next year if not 2!
The Pareto process might not be for everyone but I have now referred several grads most of whom have been successful and looking into the future a recent interviewer actually commented on the fact that I had been through the Pareto process as it is known to be quite tough!
So loving my job and earning more than I thought possible just out of Uni while also Impressing future employers!
Reply 161
Pareto Law contacted me in December 2015 and told me they were interested in putting me forward for a role. Because it was Christmas time, they told me they would ring back in January which is what they did. Once they got back in touch they explained a little bit about what they do and what they would like to do for me. They spent the time asking me what it is that I want which was appreciated and made me feel like I was important. Anyway one of the recruiters got in touch with me and introduced herself as my mentor, if you will. She was very attentive, even out of normal working hours she would call me to see how I was getting on with the prep etc. I was asked to do a phone interview which I passed and the next step was an assessment day. I was sent an email with all the information and details about the day and what to expect etc. For the day I was required to prepare a 3 minute presentation as to why I wanted a job in sales. My mentor was constantly updating me on things and checking in with me to see how I was getting on. This was my first assessment day and I felt confident because of the support I was receiving. The sales manager Andrew Wood was also helpful and rang me to ask how I was getting on. Pareto really make you feel important and add that personal touch. When I arrived at the assessment centre, everyone was very friendly, I was worried that I would feel out of place but the staff were so welcoming and friendly. My mentor was there too for extra moral support which gave me a massive confidence boost. The assessment day was well organised and we were given support through out. It was a fantastic experience and they provided free lunch and drinks. Thanks to Pareto I am in my first graduate job now. I would recommend everyone try Pareto. No matter what the outcome, it is a valuable experience and will give you confidence to prosper anywhere. :smile:
Original post by Arty90
Pareto Law contacted me in December 2015 and told me they were interested in putting me forward for a role. Because it was Christmas time, they told me they would ring back in January which is what they did. Once they got back in touch they explained a little bit about what they do and what they would like to do for me. They spent the time asking me what it is that I want which was appreciated and made me feel like I was important. Anyway one of the recruiters got in touch with me and introduced herself as my mentor, if you will. She was very attentive, even out of normal working hours she would call me to see how I was getting on with the prep etc. I was asked to do a phone interview which I passed and the next step was an assessment day. I was sent an email with all the information and details about the day and what to expect etc. For the day I was required to prepare a 3 minute presentation as to why I wanted a job in sales. My mentor was constantly updating me on things and checking in with me to see how I was getting on. This was my first assessment day and I felt confident because of the support I was receiving. The sales manager Andrew Wood was also helpful and rang me to ask how I was getting on. Pareto really make you feel important and add that personal touch. When I arrived at the assessment centre, everyone was very friendly, I was worried that I would feel out of place but the staff were so welcoming and friendly. My mentor was there too for extra moral support which gave me a massive confidence boost. The assessment day was well organised and we were given support through out. It was a fantastic experience and they provided free lunch and drinks. Thanks to Pareto I am in my first graduate job now. I would recommend everyone try Pareto. No matter what the outcome, it is a valuable experience and will give you confidence to prosper anywhere. :smile:

Hmm, given you haven't posted before and the language of your post it very much sounds like you work for them.
Reply 163
Had a brilliant experience with Pareto. Uploaded my CV on their site a few months back and had a call regarding a global organisation not too far from me. After a really motivating chat with a recruiter, Tom, we had a telephone interview, where i was then invited to the assessment center a week later.

I was fortunate enough to have the job offered on the same day as the assessment. There was roughly 45 graduates being assessed on the day and only 10 got the job.

It was a brilliant experience. I have been in my role for a year now, and still keep in touch with Pareto. Really nice people who listen to your concerns and give genuine advice.
Reply 164
I originally applied to a job post that I didn't know Pareto were recruiting for. I had a call with my initial recruiter and was invited to take part in the telephone interview. The same day I passed through that stage and was sent details of the next graduate assessment day. Mine was at the Radisson Blu in Leeds.

I didn't really know what to expect of the day as it was my first graduate day. After getting parked and settling in, I joined a few graduates who had already gathered, and began to mingle. Everyone was in the same boat and didn't know what to expect. There was a huge mix of people from different backgrounds with a 50/50 split of male and female.

After getting through the day, a mix of group and individual exercises, I was told that I had been chosen as one of the 12 from 43 to be selected. In fact, I was being put forward for an interview that week at a start up tech business extremely close to my home.

My account manager was fantastic through this process, aiding in my interview prep and answering all my questions. Unfortunately I didn't get this job, but was assured that something else would come along. The next week I had my first stage interview at a FTSE 250 world renown company, and 3 weeks later had the job.

Through the entire process, my account manager bent over backwards accommodating any requests and questions that I had, and even fought to raise my basic salary. Within 3 months my role has changed and I sit within the account management team.

With the entire Pareto process, you get out what you put in. Take it all with a pinch of salt, do your best, be yourself, and let yourself shine. You'll go far. If you don't like the pressure, sales isn't for you I'm afraid.

I have nothing but positive feedback for my process, and my account manager and I are now good friends.
I wonder when Pareto will stop making fake accounts and posting ********...
Original post by J-SP
Or bribing candidates to do it....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely they wouldn't actually bribe anyone, they must know that nobody on this forum is dim enough to believe the posts to be truthful.
Reply 167
I applied for Pareto, did the telephone interview, had all the support before the assessment centre (which was very helpful) and travelled down from Glasgow to Manchester and had to stay overnight for this. I travelled to go as it was talked up so much by the person I spoke with almost every afternoon on the phone. I don’t know why they didn’t give me a date to attend an assessment centre in Glasgow as this would have saved me a fortune on train fair and hotel overnight.

They had sent an email regarding the assessment centre and mentioned that food will be provided, however you should have something before attending. The food provided was a packet of crisps, I don’t believe there were enough packets to go round the 30 odd people that were there. Bearing in mind this day went on from 1pm-7pm.... people were hungry.

I happened to be successful at the assessment centre. I had a phone call the next day providing feedback (all positive, no negative things to say at all and nothing to improve on, which I find strange). She said she would send me out a feedback form to fill in as I was such a strong candidate...

As of yet I haven’t received this feedback form to fill out, I spoke with her on the phone about this and she didn’t remember saying I would get an e-mail. She got it confused with me being given feedback. Naturally I would like to provide some of my own feedback to them about the day.

I also have had no contact from any account manager which was promised. I have had no emails confirming I was successful. No contact from employers. No contact from Pareto AT ALL, except for the feedback call. The date of the assessment centre was the 16th June so I would have expected to hear something by now, especially with them saying their average time for placement is 10 days.

Basically, this post is not from somebody who was forced or paid to write a review online for Pareto. It’s from somebody who was given high hopes to be successful, was successful on the day and ever since has been let down.

I have since been applying for jobs on my own as I have zero confidence in Pareto anymore.
Hi stt1993,

I hope you're well and I am sorry to hear of your experience so far.

If possible, could you send me some more information to [email protected] and I will seek to resolve this for you.

Thanks,
Reply 169
Before I post about my personal experience of the Pareto process, I'd like to point out that I am not being bribed by Pareto, or even asked to fill out this review. An ex-housemate of mine asked about my Pareto experience and I told them what I'm about to tell you all below. My friend mentioned this thread had put him off applying, and after reading the entire thing, I have decided to give my perspective on things.

I had been applying for graduate jobs throughout my final year at the University of York, and had mixed success. I had applied to countless graduate schemes, getting rejections before even the telephone interview stage. With other companies I had good success - I was offered a Marketing role on Vodafone's grad scheme with a starting wage of £25k and the role looked really good. However, the role was based down in Newbury and I wanted to stay up in York so I declined the job offer.

I moved back home to Peterborough and started to apply to countless jobs online. One day, I received a call from someone at Pareto mentioning that they were phoning about a job I had applied to. I have to admit, I didn't realise that I would be called by a recruitment agency and was a little cold and guarded with the person from Pareto. I told them that I was not looking for a job in sales and they asked why. After I gave my reasons, they spoke frankly and honestly with me, giving genuine advice about job roles and careers. I was genuinely impressed with their professionalism and told them that if I changed my mind, I'd get back in touch. A couple of days later, after no more job success, I called the person from Pareto again. The guy I had been speaking to was Ben from the Leeds office, and as I have already mentioned, Ben was very easy to talk to and listened to what I had to say, as opposed to ramming a speech down my throat.

After a telephone interview, I was invited to an assessment day. I had been to three graduate assessment days prior to this, and to be honest, they were all very similar. I have read about people complaining about the lack of food etc, but my experience at Vodafone was identical. The Vodafone assessment day started at 8.15am and ended at 1.30pm, with no food provided. I understand people's gripes with Pareto not providing much food/refreshments, but people believe this an issue unique to Pareto (as it may be their first exposure to an assessment day) - it quite simply isn't. After completing the assessment day, I was told that I'd be contacted shortly afterwards.

Ben got in touch the next day about an excellent job in York. He briefed me about the company, the industry, the role, the area etc and gave me all the support I could ask for. I would often get helpful emails from Ben whenever I got in touch with him - whenever I needed to lean on his expertise or ask his advice, Ben was there to offer help and guidance. I interviewed for the role a week later and Ben provided really useful feedback on how I had got on. Another week went by and Ben called me to let me know I had been offered the job. The salary and OTE was generous, and as I have found out over the last 9 months, there has been opportunities to progress within the business.

About 3 months after I was in the role, Ben got in touch with me simply to ask how I was getting on and if he could help in any way. After having worked in a customer-facing role, I can now see how valuable it was to have someone of Ben's calibre helping me get placed in my first graduate job. I know that other people have had different experiences, or less diligent people helping them in the process, but I have nothing but praise for the way I was looked after by Ben throughout the entire process.

To sum it up, the worst thing that can happen if you apply is that you get rejected. I was rejected for dozen of roles before I finally got my job and this is just a part of life. You can absolutely learn something positive from a negative experience, and the only way to decide if Pareto is right for you is to try it for yourself.
Dont expect any calls back from Pareto law... @stt

Ultimately they are a recruitment agency. No different than any other.....a call made to an unsuccessful candidate is a waste of time... they have quotas to fulfill and targets to hit.... Needless to say I am on their books (have not told them I got a job) . Many times I have reached the final stages of interviews (2-3 step process). Then comes the wall of silence. I think its pretty unprofessional. I can understand if stage 1. But deep into the process I would expect a degree of professional courtesy. I send emails to get feedback, no response either. Phones switched off. Then there are the outright lies... one of their agents called me and said company x needed somebody asap. So i went. Then after 2 stages more she lets me know the company were just testing the waters and it was an outside bet. Since that day I learnt never to really trust Pareto law. They will claim you are a perfect fit for everything. Be picky. In order to attend this chance I had to led go of other promising interviews I had. Big mistake.

In defense of Pareto law, I think the problem is with the recruitment industry. Pretty much the same issue with places like Graduate Fasttrack. Just like Pareto, before the interview at any stage they will ring you up many times. After the interview if no positive news you are not worth their time. These people working for pareto are earning 20k. If they hit their targets they are getting 15k OTE. They have to be on the phone all the time and get lots of emails... So I think its the system which is at fault rather than the actually people. Its a super competitive industry on thin margins. Naturally this winner takes all mentality means courtesy goes out the window....if you look at the owners of pareto law the Ranstead Corporation, it has been growing very fast. You dont do that by not cutting corners.

Many small to medium firms, just dont want to have inhouse recruitment. They outsource these tasks to recruiters who aim to do the same thing for a fraction of the cost. Naturally the quality of the process suffers.

Reminds me of a funny story. So i applied for a job. Recruiter (not pareto) called me and arranged for a skype call. Only thing is she wanted to see me, but she was not ready to show herself. I asked why and she said for all she knows I might be a creep. I told her that I tracked her entire profile on linkedin. Then she came on skype and showed her face. Seriously why go into recruitment if you dont want to face people and ironically have a linkedin profile open for all to see? These people do realize most of us have google. Its not a one way street anymore. If you get into recruitment then clearly odds are you are going to come across somebody who takes rejection hard. Its the part and parcel of the gig.

So as far as practical advise, do look up these pareto people who you dealt with on linkedin. They have profiles there which due to their profession they have to keep. I had one pareto agent dodging me. He had set an interview for a job and outright lied about the job. The salary and everything. So i emailed him and said dont worry will contact you on linkedin. Next thing he was on the phone saying sorry and how it was one big "miscommunication".

For the record, I have emailed sberry 2 months ago... yet to get any feedback or response. The said account is just for show....

luckily I found a job a while back so dont really need them. But you should take a look at my earlier post. Never trust any recruitment agency. Its not a kind or fair system. Heard similar stories from friends about places like HigherTheTalent etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had a great experience with Pareto. After getting a call about my CV I was told there may be suitable positions for me within their reach. I went through a telephone interview and then invited to an assessment day about a week later.The assessment day involved individual and group elements, and at the end of it I was one of eight of about forty to succeed.

After this my account manager put me into contact with employers within my desired field, and about an hour after my second interview I was called and offered the job, to which I accepted! From the assessment day to landing the role was around a week.

Altogether I would have to say that I was very happy with the overall way in which my case was handled through Pareto. My account manager was very friendly and helpful from beginning to end, and from the initial call to getting the job was only a few weeks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
Can one of the mods move this thread to the "other careers" sub forum. It has nothing to do with law or legal careers and the spam reviews are becoming a little tedious.

Done!
Pareto Law has not only kickstarted my career, it has helped me realise exactly what I want to achieve for the future. The process is inclusive of all, from the thousands like me who come out of university not knowing what they want to do, to those that know they want to work in sales. They do not select candidates based on experience, rather a positive and engaging attitude. Their access to some of the best companies means that based on your personality and profile, you have a great chance of being put forward to the most exciting, competitive and growing organisations in the UK. Since starting my job in January, I have received brilliant sales training that have provided me with tools to succeed in sales, and have regular support from my Pareto point of contact. To anyone who is thinking of starting a career in sales, or those that want to kickstart a career in business, my advice would definitely be to do it through Pareto.
Original post by dan gersh
Pareto Law has not only kickstarted my career, it has helped me realise exactly what I want to achieve for the future. The process is inclusive of all, from the thousands like me who come out of university not knowing what they want to do, to those that know they want to work in sales. They do not select candidates based on experience, rather a positive and engaging attitude. Their access to some of the best companies means that based on your personality and profile, you have a great chance of being put forward to the most exciting, competitive and growing organisations in the UK. Since starting my job in January, I have received brilliant sales training that have provided me with tools to succeed in sales, and have regular support from my Pareto point of contact. To anyone who is thinking of starting a career in sales, or those that want to kickstart a career in business, my advice would definitely be to do it through Pareto.

Oh dear, another Pareto rep posting a so obviously fake review.
Reply 175
I went to one of their assessment days a couple of weeks ago. It was a decent experience overall and I'm glad I went, although it was extremely hot in their offices (and I was given conflicting information from Pareto staff as to why this was - one told me their air conditioning was broken on that day, another told me they only had air conditioning installed in their staff areas). The day was also run rather inefficiently. Once we had all arrived and sat down in their main room it took a long time for them to actually appear and get us started. It was also obvious that the entire day's activity could have been compressed into a much shorter space of time, instead of the seven hours it in fact took to get through everything. I don't think Pareto should be faulted too much for this, however, as attending the assessment days is free of charge, and so they probably cannot afford to dedicate more staff to the running the day, even though doing so would probably speed up the process quite a bit.

The day itself is exactly as has been described in numerous posts in this thread. At the end of the day about a third of the candidates, myself included, were taken into another room and told we had been successful. The day stuck so closely to the formula I'd seen described here that it seemed like it was very easy to meet their selection criteria simply by being a little prepared. I think Pareto would benefit from designing some new assessment days since their current formula is so easily accessible online that anyone who bothers to look it up already has a significant advantage over all the other candidates. No one I spoke to on the day had actually looked up what the assessment day was about, and I found myself explaining to a number of people when we arrived exactly what they were getting into. A few people told me they had been under the impression that the assessment day was for an immediate job opportunity until the day before.

Despite the negative reception of Pareto, I was happy to have passed because they apparently had a vested interest in getting me employed, since earning commission through placing successful candidates is how they make their money. I was told that I would receive feedback the next day. I received nothing, not even an email confirming that I had been successful. The day after that I called their office asking for feedback and was told that they in fact aim to give candidates feedback within 48 hours, but I was passed onto the person who had initially conducted my telephone interview. They read out my feedback, which was fairly useful if unsurprising.

The day after I received a call from someone at Pareto asking for my passport number, which they had apparently forgotten to take down on the day. Then a further few days went by with no contact at all, after which I received a call informing me about an opportunity which was much too far away. Despite putting in writing in two different places where I was located and that I was not able to relocate (once during the one-minute 'informal interview,' during which I saw my interviewer write down this information as I gave it to them, and again when I filled out a brief form they handed to all the successful candidates), the person on the phone did not seem to know where I was located and where I wished to work. I declined the offer there and then over the phone with them.

Since then I have received no correspondence from Pareto whatsoever. There have been no further offers and no reassurances that they are still looking for an opportunity for me. I have given up on waiting for them to find me something and have gone back to job searching myself. I was not expecting to be beset by a flood offers immediately as I made it clear I was not able to work in London, but the location I had specified is nonetheless a major city. It may simply be the case that there are no vacancies there amongst Pareto's clients at the moment, but given how they pride themselves on the large number of businesses which use them, that seems unlikely.

To sum up, I would suggest to anyone thinking of attending a Pareto assessment day to treat it merely as an opportunity to gain some experience. The day itself it very easy to pass if you make a little effort simply due to the fact that most people won't. It's a good chance to get a feel for the sort of thing employers in this area are looking for. But do not expect success on the day to actually mean anything. You're better off applying to job advertisments directly.
Hi,

I applied through an application on guardian jobs. Sent in my application form and very quickly received a phone call regarding the post I applied for at Pareto Law. The girl i spoke to on the phone seemed very enthusiastic about my application and interviewed me for the role.

First stage - Telephone interview
This consisted of basic questions as to why you want a career in sales, are you a graduate, and basic competency based questions such as for example "when have you dealt with a difficult customer and what was the outcome". I was notified at the end of the telephone interview that I had passed and would be invited to the next stage which is the assessment day. For the next couple of days the person I spoke to over the phone gave some tips and pointers for the assessment day itself.

What the company offers is basic recruitment, where if you apply through them, they search for jobs for you and then pass to through to specific company's where you carry out a separate assessment stage.

On my Assessment day I was invited to a hotel where I joined other candidates and was given a lay out of how the assessment day will be carried out. (Mind you, I decided to do my own research online and the company came up with a lot of mixed reviews and other candidates gave details as to how their assessment day went) which is exactly how mine went.

First there was an introduction from a manager at Pareto, who gave a little insight to the company and stated "If any of you are unsuccessful on this stage, not to worry, as you may not be suitable for a role in sales but we will carry on your application and refer you to businesses that suit more to your skill set". Then each candidate was told to introduce themselves, give an example of a non-academic achievement and a famous person that inspires them. Then we moved onto the next stage, a group exercise where each person in the group represents the famous person they chose and decide how they should be kept in a life raft and not be thrown over the edge and why. A bit of a tedious task as some people just chose Beyonce or Kevin Hart or Donald Trump. Another group task was that you're now stuck on a desert and have to choose which items are most valuable and rank them from highest to lowest. Again another tedious and pointless exercise.

Next was a 3 minute presentation where you "show off" and sell yourself to a "panel" of assessors. Now the room was full with a bunch of assessors and some corporate clients. I prepared for my presentation, took some props with me too, but I only presented in front of one assessor which was odd as they explained they would be a few assessors. Anyway, the presentation went brilliantly and I was really pleased with the outcome.

Finally the one to one interview...but I doubt these guys know the meaning of interview. I was interviewed by a member of staff who just passed his assessment day last month, the "interview" consisted of a form with questions such as "Are you a citizen, have you got any convictions, where do you live, and what city do you want to work" and that's it!. I know...

At the end, the room was split up into two and half of the candidates stepped outside and half were left in the room, the half in the room were notified they didn't get the job. That they can not re apply at Pareto for another 6 months and a "Good Luck with your future endeavours".

Now from what I made of the company and a couple of the managers, they were really pretentious at first, especially in some presentations as some candidates shared that information with me, and only some candidates were called into presentations with corporate clientele so from my experience, this company seems to hire you if they like how you look, or if you look like a salesman, but with x amount of years in B2B and B2C and cold calling experience just doesn't cut it for these guys. Which is quite sad actually. But that is my review from my experience as I just got back from my assessment centre today.
Hi, is anyone going to be attending an assessment day on Wednesday in London?Got a call today from woman, was very nice and we had a nice conversation. The telephone interview was just general competency based questions, the typical 'How would you deal with difficult people' 'What are your three best attributes' etc. Not too difficult and I passed and I like that she gave me some feedback on how I answered the questions. She said she'd phone me tomorrow to help me with the presentation aspect, at first I was a little bit concerned but I've done plenty of presentations at Uni, all of them have gone pretty well (always a 2.1) so I doubt I have anything to fear as long as I prepare and follow the guidance! I do worry about the numbers though, from what I've read on here it's usually about 40 people, I'm usually a very sociable and extroverted person but I do have my off days so hopefully I'll be feeling nice and chatty on the day!And I'm bit concerned about the dress code... I read that someone got told off for a ponytail?! Ponytails can look very neat and tidy if done properly and they're fairly in at the moment, guess I'll just have to stick with a bun... And I have a really smart dress I'd like to wear with some heels as it's comfy and looks really nice but maybe it's safer to stick with a black business skirt and a cardi.
@beccagood95 Yes i'm attending the assessment day on London as well. Don't really know what to expect or whether this is the right thing for me. Hoping the day is going to give some clarity on the actual job as well.
Original post by beccagood95
Hi, is anyone going to be attending an assessment day on Wednesday in London?Got a call today from woman, was very nice and we had a nice conversation. The telephone interview was just general competency based questions, the typical 'How would you deal with difficult people' 'What are your three best attributes' etc. Not too difficult and I passed and I like that she gave me some feedback on how I answered the questions. She said she'd phone me tomorrow to help me with the presentation aspect, at first I was a little bit concerned but I've done plenty of presentations at Uni, all of them have gone pretty well (always a 2.1) so I doubt I have anything to fear as long as I prepare and follow the guidance! I do worry about the numbers though, from what I've read on here it's usually about 40 people, I'm usually a very sociable and extroverted person but I do have my off days so hopefully I'll be feeling nice and chatty on the day!And I'm bit concerned about the dress code... I read that someone got told off for a ponytail?! Ponytails can look very neat and tidy if done properly and they're fairly in at the moment, guess I'll just have to stick with a bun... And I have a really smart dress I'd like to wear with some heels as it's comfy and looks really nice but maybe it's safer to stick with a black business skirt and a cardi.

@beccagood95 Yes i'm attending the assessment day on London as well. Don't really know what to expect or whether this is the right thing for me. Hoping the day is going to give some clarity on the actual job as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending