The Student Room Group

Finding a job while at Uni advice?

I've been looking erveryday for simple retail/hospitality jobs or even in my field of degree which is Criminology with Sociology and struglling to find jobs to apply to. Like either the hours dont fit me or i dont have x qualifications or a car is required makes it really difficult..
Original post by Hannah055
I've been looking erveryday for simple retail/hospitality jobs or even in my field of degree which is Criminology with Sociology and struglling to find jobs to apply to. Like either the hours dont fit me or i dont have x qualifications or a car is required makes it really difficult..

If it's a job in hospitality or retail, you are very likely going to have an easier time if you network your way in e.g. if you know friends who work in the sector, they might ask around and put in a good word for you. With hospitality, you can sometimes drop off your CV at the establishment and they can then look into it.
Entry level jobs are not easy to come by and you need to do more than just applying usually.

If it's in criminology/sociology, then chances are they're government jobs. You would be expected to have a complete degree likely with quantitative content and a sufficient grade in order to apply.

As a last resort, you can consider applying through a recruitment agency who offer temp work. It's more likely that you would find work in hospitality via agency than for retail though.

Also, I would recommend applying to small companies in retail and hospitality instead of just the large companies. The small companies can be quicker in getting back to you as well as being a lot more flexible with your requirements. The large companies are more corporate and structured.
Reply 2
Original post by Hannah055

which university? How are you going about job hunting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending