The Student Room Group

How to get a HCA job without experience?

So I'm planning on studying a Physician Associate masters next year and I want to gain some clinical experience and earn some money before I apply. However, I'm looking at NHS bank and NHS trac jobs and they all require a minimum of 6 months experience. But I've heard that other people managed to get a HCA job without experience because they train you on the job ? So im really confused and don't know what to do. Would the best option be to work in a care home or something?
Reply 1
Agencies typically hire candidates without experience and they also offer you a better pay. I started with an agency and when you get at least 3 months of experience under your belt, you would look more employable. There is a massive shortage for HCAs and Nurses so I doubt you would struggle with finding a place. Just make sure you write a good personal statement in your CV explaining why you would be a good fit. Hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amr007
Agencies typically hire candidates without experience and they also offer you a better pay. I started with an agency and when you get at least 3 months of experience under your belt, you would look more employable. There is a massive shortage for HCAs and Nurses so I doubt you would struggle with finding a place. Just make sure you write a good personal statement in your CV explaining why you would be a good fit. Hope this helps.

Hi, I'm sorry if this is too much to ask but do you know of any agencies or websites to direct me to that would recruit HCA's without any experience (in the Manchester area)? The NHSP bank seems to want experience so I'm a bit stuck. Thank you.
Reply 3
Hi, there should be lots of care agencies around, as I'm not from the area, I wouldn't know any. If you look on indeed and type health care assistant no experience jobs in your area, if should come up with a few. Also if you search of nursing care agencies near me on google, it should show you most of the agencies in your area. Just ring them up and ask them if they have a vacancy for a HCA. All agencies have ongoing vacancies for HCAs and Nurses.The perks of this is that you can pick and choose when you want to work as they're zero hour contracts.
Original post by amr007
Hi, there should be lots of care agencies around, as I'm not from the area, I wouldn't know any. If you look on indeed and type health care assistant no experience jobs in your area, if should come up with a few. Also if you search of nursing care agencies near me on google, it should show you most of the agencies in your area. Just ring them up and ask them if they have a vacancy for a HCA. All agencies have ongoing vacancies for HCAs and Nurses.The perks of this is that you can pick and choose when you want to work as they're zero hour contracts.

Thank you, I did try that but the only thing that comes up are Care Assistant jobs in homes and not Healthcare assistant. Considering I'm mainly looking for clinical experience on the hospital wards I don't think the care assistant jobs would be useful for me. But thank you anyway, hopefully more come up in the future.
Reply 5
Original post by SongBird2020
Thank you, I did try that but the only thing that comes up are Care Assistant jobs in homes and not Healthcare assistant. Considering I'm mainly looking for clinical experience on the hospital wards I don't think the care assistant jobs would be useful for me. But thank you anyway, hopefully more come up in the future.

I started out as a care/ support worker for a company called Choice Support working with adults with learning disabilities. I had no experience, but they trained me and I completed a Care Certificate with them. I then got an HCA job with GMMH NHS trust on a mental health ward after about 6 months. So I'd say look at those support worker and care assistant roles as they will give you relevant experience.
Reply 6
Original post by SongBird2020
So I'm planning on studying a Physician Associate masters next year and I want to gain some clinical experience and earn some money before I apply. However, I'm looking at NHS bank and NHS trac jobs and they all require a minimum of 6 months experience. But I've heard that other people managed to get a HCA job without experience because they train you on the job ? So im really confused and don't know what to do. Would the best option be to work in a care home or something?

Hi I would love to hear an update from you as I am currently thinking of the same thing. Did you end up going down the PA route and if not what changed. Ty!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending