The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd say it's a good idea. Some people say how rich they are, it wouldn't harm them to pay a little more or should I say their rich parents.
Reply 2
happysunshine
I'd say it's a good idea. Some people say how rich they are, it wouldn't harm them to pay a little more or should I say their rich parents.

Why specifically Oxford though? Whatever peoples views on the rich usually being forced to pay a greater proportion of their earnings to the state, there's no valid reasoning behind making them pay more entirely because their child is intelligent enough to study at Oxford University.

It could end up encouraging the University to accept even more students from privileged backgrounds anyway.
Amazing
Why specifically Oxford though? Whatever peoples views on the rich usually being forced to pay a greater proportion of their earnings to the state, there's no valid reasoning behind making them pay more entirely because their child is intelligent enough to study at Oxford University.

It could end up encouraging the University to accept even more students from privileged backgrounds anyway.

Do it for Cambridge then as well. I see two sides to it: the richer pay more tax and take less from the state but then they also pay lots for schooling which makes university a cheap option.
I think people who have obviously got money it is a good idea for, most public schools are charging 20k a year, its not like their parents arent going to pay 15-16k at uni for their child to live. Thats prep school fees!
Reply 5
Joey_Johns
I think people who have obviously got money it is a good idea for, most public schools are charging 20k a year, its not like their parents arent going to pay 15-16k at uni for their child to live. Thats prep school fees!

Well, my public school doesn't charge £20000 a year.
Tek
Well, my public school doesn't charge £20000 a year.

Good for you but unless it doesnt charge circa 20k and you start when your 13 it isnt a public school. Could just be classed as private.
Reply 7
Joey_Johns
Good for you but unless it doesnt charge circa 20k and you start when your 13 it isnt a public school. Could just be classed as private.

I didn't realise that was the official criteria...
Reply 8
To be honest, they should just tax higher - graduate tax etc. I know there's always the problem with the "black hole" of money the government receives through taxes - but alternatively I think it's particularly unfair that students are laiden with huge debts solely on the apparent wealth of their parents - when it's US that will have to pay it off. The tuition fees themselves - maybe not, because our parents, if they can afford it, are obliged to pay it - but living costs? All the bursary money supercedes the £3000 cost (I think) for poorer students, so not only is get quite a lot subsidised, they get help with living costs (which student loans should cover - ok we all know if you want to live properly, they're not enough, but still) whereas someone who falls just outside the help-bracket gets nada. And it still doesn't solve problems because poorer people still can't afford to go to start with.

I'd agree with the £10,000 for the richest students, although the bracket still seems quite low - especially as the means-tested methods don't take into account drains such as mortgages etc. And also paying for children still in education. I do agree though that oxbridge need more money, it will be such a shame for all the people who strive to get into top universities only to discover that the standard has been lowered dramatically.
Reply 9
theone

It only matters if you're at a public school and are snobby about upstart little private schools calling themself public :rolleyes:

I dunno how much my school's fees were, as we didn't pay all of them. I think it would probably count as private though, to those who give a damn.

There is no way we could have afforded for me to come here if we were charged that much.
Reply 10
theone

I didn't think that was either. Hmm..

ETA - actually I KNOW it isn't. Mine - if I actually gave a damn, which I don't - doesn't start at 13, it starts at age 5, and it's certainly below 20k. I'm with Helenia too - most of mine is subsidised through various means. Maybe that's just the criteria you want.
lucerna
I didn't think that was either. Hmm..

ETA - actually I KNOW it isn't. Mine - if I actually gave a damn, which I don't - doesn't start at 13, it starts at age 5, and it's certainly below 20k. I'm with Helenia too - most of mine is subsidised through various means. Maybe that's just the criteria you want.

Traditional public schools, start when your 13. Its not some snobby way of looking at it, all these schools charge circa 20k, its just what they charge. Whether the school has a prep school or not doesnt matter I started at my prep school when I was three all the way through to 13 when I moved to big school, if you start at 11 its not a proper traditional public school. Nothing snobby about it, its just their tradition to start at 13.
Reply 12
Joey_Johns
Traditional public schools, start when your 13. Its not some snobby way of looking at it, all these schools charge circa 20k, its just what they charge. Whether the school has a prep school or not doesnt matter I started at my prep school when I was three all the way through to 13 when I moved to big school, if you start at 11 its not a proper traditional public school. Nothing snobby about it, its just their tradition to start at 13.

My school used to start at 13, but dropped the entry age to 11 to attract more people to it (or something) - I joined at 11. It still has a big prep-school intake at 13 though.
Helenia
My school used to start at 13, but dropped the entry age to 11 to attract more people to it (or something) - I joined at 11. It still has a big prep-school intake at 13 though.

Its a public school then.
Reply 14
Joey_Johns

Well, whatever. I don't go there anymore, and I wasn't exactly the happiest person in the world when I was there (imagine me on one of my late-night depressed rants, and make it worse!) so who cares what it's called.
Reply 15
Joey_Johns

Plenty of top public schools charge c. £15000 a year.
Helenia
Well, whatever. I don't go there anymore, and I wasn't exactly the happiest person in the world when I was there (imagine me on one of my late-night depressed rants, and make it worse!) so who cares what it's called.

lol. I'll miss your late night depressive rant, I'm off to watch t'Bradford New Zealand Bulls face Penrith Panters in a mo :smile:

Yeah, its not exactly a big deal.
Tek
Plenty of top public schools charge c. £15000 a year.

I wouldnt call them top public schools. They probably have less facilities. These schools are often in cities with little to offer their children in ways of ex curicular activites.
Reply 18
Joey_Johns
I wouldnt call them top public schools. They probably have less facilities. These schools are often in cities with little to offer their children in ways of ex curicular activites.

Arguably. But looking at the league tables, I'm not complaining.
Tek
Arguably. But looking at the league tables, I'm not complaining.

Lol. League tables dont mean anything, you pay for the facilities, giving a more rounded education. As soon as you start making exam results the most important thing in school life, you take away what is the essence of a good well rounded education.

Latest

Trending

Trending