The Student Room Group

Oxford vs LSE for Law

Oxford has fewer modules but is much more likely to get a higher paying job after graduation, also one of my close friends in the year below is planning on applying to Oxford PPE, and I’d want to put in a good word for him.

On the contrary, LSE has much more modules and also u can pick from other courses modules, it’s in a similar respect to Oxford, plus it’s an LLB program. It’s also £10,000 cheaper than Oxford per year so less financial stress on my dad. But there’s a problem with this as well, idk if this is a soft or hard requirement but you are expected to have a strong pre-16 academic profile (eg: GCSE grades 7-9 range) with math and English no lower than 6.
LSE has 16 applicants per place!!! ☹️

What are your GCSE grades?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by thegeek888
LSE has 16 applicants per place!!! ☹️

What are your GCSE grades?

Quite low... due to extenuating circumstances tho.
3 5's and 2 4's
Original post by emiratesforlife
Quite low... due to extenuating circumstances tho.
3 5's and 2 4's

Omg?! 😧 Most successful applicants will have all 9/8/7 grades and the odd 6 or 5.

What are your A-Level subjects and predictions? 🙂
Original post by thegeek888
Omg?! 😧 Most successful applicants will have all 9/8/7 grades and the odd 6 or 5.

What are your A-Level subjects and predictions? 🙂

A-level subjects:
Politics (high A - borderline A*)
Business (medium A)
Sociology (high B - borderline A)
On the low end, AAB
On the high end, A*AA

Btw not eligible for contextual bcoz Iam an international applicant

Essentially hav to make it up w LNAT score and personal statement

Just started A-levels this septemebr
(edited 5 months ago)
Oxford has fewer modules but is much more likely to get a higher paying job after graduation, also one of my close friends in the year below is planning on applying to Oxford PPE, and I’d want to put in a good word for him.

On the contrary, LSE has much more modules and also u can pick from other courses modules, it’s in a similar respect to Oxford, plus it’s an LLB program. It’s also £10,000 cheaper than Oxford per year so less financial stress on my dad. But there’s a problem with this as well, idk if this is a soft or hard requirement but you are expected to have a strong pre-16 academic profile (eg: GCSE grades 7-9 range) with math and English no lower than 6.

"I'd want to put in a good word for him". What do you mean?
Original post by ageshallnot
"I'd want to put in a good word for him". What do you mean?

This guy is a year younger than me and we are close friends, he wants to get into Oxford's PPE program, and if I get into Oxford before him, I could help him with his UCAS application, and also give the Head of PPE at the college I am at a recommendation on his behalf. I am aware it doesn't work most of the time but at the same time, it's helping my friend achieve his goals if it does work. I decided I'd probably be better off w picking LSE for the variety of modules, proximity to London (I mean it's in London), and similar status to Oxford. I already have an Oxbridge connection and another one to come, so its not too important to worry about connections. Difference in salary after graduation is 4000 quid per annum, so not too big of a difference.
Reply 7
This guy is a year younger than me and we are close friends, he wants to get into Oxford's PPE program, and if I get into Oxford before him, I could help him with his UCAS application, and also give the Head of PPE at the college I am at a recommendation on his behalf. I am aware it doesn't work most of the time but at the same time, it's helping my friend achieve his goals if it does work. I decided I'd probably be better off w picking LSE for the variety of modules, proximity to London (I mean it's in London), and similar status to Oxford. I already have an Oxbridge connection and another one to come, so its not too important to worry about connections. Difference in salary after graduation is 4000 quid per annum, so not too big of a difference.

University applications don't work like that - a first year student is unlikely to persuade the Head of PPE to jeopardize their academic career and university standing by intervening in the selection process in this way (there is frankly a greater risk that it could damage your friends chances of a place)

Employer's don't pay graduates different amounts of money depending on what university they went to. Differences in average graduate starting salaries depend far, far more on your choices and general abilities as a student, what career you go into etc... Both universities have very strong reputations - there will effectively be equal from a career benefit perspective.

Whether a formal requirement or not both will expect a very strong pre-16 academic profile. Assuming you were able to gain offers from both (for context I didn't even make it to interview at Oxford with higher grades than yours) - I would think far more about whether you wanted a big city university experience in London (not for everyone for sure), or more of a town/campus feel in Oxford.

I think you're well intentioned, but slightly deluded.
Original post by ageshallnot
I think you're well intentioned, but slightly deluded.

As I said:
"I am aware it doesn't work most of the time"
Original post by AMac86
University applications don't work like that - a first year student is unlikely to persuade the Head of PPE to jeopardize their academic career and university standing by intervening in the selection process in this way (there is frankly a greater risk that it could damage your friends chances of a place)

Employer's don't pay graduates different amounts of money depending on what university they went to. Differences in average graduate starting salaries depend far, far more on your choices and general abilities as a student, what career you go into etc... Both universities have very strong reputations - there will effectively be equal from a career benefit perspective.

Whether a formal requirement or not both will expect a very strong pre-16 academic profile. Assuming you were able to gain offers from both (for context I didn't even make it to interview at Oxford with higher grades than yours) - I would think far more about whether you wanted a big city university experience in London (not for everyone for sure), or more of a town/campus feel in Oxford.

As I said:
"I am aware it doesn't work most of the time"
Reply 11
Not just "most of the time" - That isn't how UK university undergraduate admissions processes work full stop.

There is absolutely no advantage to selecting Oxford on a belief that as a first year undergrad you feel you might be able influence the college admissions process for your friend.
Original post by AMac86
Not just "most of the time" - That isn't how UK university undergraduate admissions processes work full stop.

There is absolutely no advantage to selecting Oxford on a belief that as a first year undergrad you feel you might be able influence the college admissions process for your friend.

Actually I meant it more as helping him w UCAS personal statement, interview prep and also some help with adjusting. I kind of know that “putting in a good word” is impossible to do as a 1st year undergraduate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending