The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

*Laura*
It's not an easy subject at all, and is one of the best degrees if you want to cover all the key skill areas.

Such as making stuff up, misappropriate use of statistics and making poor data look good - all very useful skills in the job market.
Reply 281
Didn't read all the thread but he did say "If you don't agree, bring it on".

How is Business Management a stupid degree? I'm planning on doing that and I've actually talked to someone who did the exact same degree at the uni I'm going to, and got himself a Skyline at the age of 23. I guess the degree doesn't get a good job or pay well. :rolleyes: He even said himself that he knows people at UCL (I think it was) who are struggling to get jobs but he isn't - POINT: Brunel (the uni I'm going to) has good employment links.

So what degree are you doing? Are you some professor with a hundred qualifications to your name who has done lots of research? Most of the degrees you put down are sought after, retard.
Reply 282
a degree is as useful as u make it. tho my dads best mate is head of psych at surrey, n his attitude its great if u wanna teach it but thats about it. oddly enuff one of the most useless degrees is law. only 7% of law graduates end up working in law! my dad worked on the counter at cambridge with a law grad from cambridge with a 1st, that was 10 yrs ago, i believe he is still there! but yeah if u work hard u get what u want whatever. n dont slag off politics im doing that (Joint honours with German), but that is one of the top degrees u can do if u want to work in government or civil service. business management is also v useful if that is what u do at the end of it. yes some degrees are easier than others, but whatever u do, if u stick to what u are actually gonna do in later life u'll b fine. u can end up doing a degree in French or Medicine, but if u r lazy ass about it u will still end up in a crappy job.

so shhhh with the useless degree talk!
Reply 283
ChemistBoy
Such as making stuff up, misappropriate use of statistics and making poor data look good - all very useful skills in the job market.

Have you ever studied psychology? I hate the way that people put down subjects and think that their subjects are better. You seem to like chemistry but psychology is entirely different so you can't even compare them. Things are no more 'made up' than in chemistry...lots of theories have been proved wrong or right in chemistry, just as in psychology.
*Laura*
Things are no more 'made up' than in chemistry...lots of theories have been proved wrong or right in chemistry, just as in psychology.

A bit like physics :biggrin:
Reply 285
Why is it that people slag off other peoples' degrees. Do what you want to study and don't let anyone else put you off. I'm doing Computer Science because Computing was my favorate subject at A-Level. If I'd done Media Studies and really liked that then things would be different now.
By the way degrees like media and film studies are very useful in making universities -which are very poorly funded -some money. Some poster said they don't benefit the economy -whatever that means -but they cost very little to run and universities get gvmt money for the students
Rolo Tomase
Media Studies , film, theatre, etc

Psyhcology

Politics

Business Studies , Management, etc.

There are plenty of other ones , add your own

They are rubbish for jobs and such and such

Don't agree , bring it on

lemme guess, you applied to one of the above (or the idiot u sound, ) u applied to all of them but couldnt even get into any so are a bit bitter...haha dnt blame ya
Reply 288
No he does have kinda a point :smile:

How about we do a poll. All the people Slating these degrees who actually HAVE one of these Degrees AND a decent Job Say I.

All those who havent started one of these degrees shut up and go back to wonder land because no nowadays going to university isnt the final step and no you wont get handed a dream job straight out of the door of university.

Life = shit.... get used to it :wink:

Im a 4th Year Studying Cybernetics, my degree is technical in nature and luckily for me there are jobs available ive also been offered part time work int he field.

Sure every degree does have a chance of getting that awesome job but if you looked at the statistics of these degrees you would see a fair proportion of people leave university and go into Retail managament... you know supervisiors and managers at B+Q, WhSmiths etc. At my uni on careers day that was all that was there... Tescos stand, Army Stand, RAF Stand, B+Q etc. Asking for graduates... from any degree (yea...) to be recruited.

Anyone who isnt a graduate cant even begin to slate the thread, and in doing so you are kidding yourself and trying to lull yourself into a false sense of security.

You wonder why there is always talk of education on tv is because there isnt enough jobs for 50% of the population to be graduates of university like the goverment plans and thus choosing a degree such as media studies or business studies generally means your gonna be a manager of a retail store... if your lucky perhaps non-retail management.

Like i know an english language graduate who couldnt find a job relative to her course... because you know what? there isnt that much to do... so guess what she became? A teacher... low paid and always complaining.

Of course its all relative to the effort you put in, if you get a good degree i.e a 2-1/ first then your should be alright.

Ok another comparison, i know a 2-1 graduate of Business studies at Reading University (not a bad uni) who is now working for an insurance firm not as a manager just as a telesales consultant.... Yea real good job if u ask me.
ANd another one: 2-1 Computer Scientist who is now working for a credit company in data entry... this is probably fairly decent but is quite mundane and boring.

Most people get a job they dont like doing in life, its just hard for people to accept it. If your lucky enough to get a job u like doing then good for you :smile:.
Reply 289
Neas
Ok another comparison, i know a 2-1 graduate of Business studies at Reading University (not a bad uni) who is now working for an insurance firm not as a manager just as a telesales consultant.... Yea real good job if u ask me.

...earning £700 a week, or so my mate has managed, not too shabby :cool:
Reply 290
rah2

Theres always an exception to the rule, for everyone of them earning 700 a week i bet i could go to a town and find 20 earning around 12k a year in a shop.
Reply 291
BossLady

It's kinda telling (about the subject) that Bradford is number 2/3 for politics....

not really. oxford is usually ranked first, sheffield, kings and york are not far behind.

i think bradford is ranked highly because of its peace studies department which is world renowned.

most subjects now have universities which are less well known or not considered 'prestigious' making quite substantial inroads.
Reply 292
BossLady
Thing is, I've never actually said that Politics isn't a valid subject anyway. I said that i didn't know much about what it involved and that I didn't know any politicians who'd done politics, which you have told me about. I was thinking more of straight politics btw rather than PPE and the like. Infact I recall saying that it would be 'fine' doing politics at a redbrick

well you did also say that having bradford as second or third says alot about the subject (i dont think this was meant in a good way but i could be wrong).
Reply 293
BossLady
Hmm interesting logic.... Using your logic, nobody's opinion on here about ANYTHING is credible therefore they should all what? they should all be ignored?

btw thanks for link. I quote...

These same critics claim media studies is an academic cul de sac which churns out unemployable graduates. A recent report by the Institute of Directors, voicing its concern that universities are failing British businesses, put the foot in too, saying "We need more plumbers and fewer media studies graduates."

Despite the snobbery surrounding media studies degrees, 75% of their graduates are employed within six months of leaving university says the CSU, the higher education careers service. But only two in five of those who do find work within six months are working in journalism, advertising or marketing.

I wonder where they are getting jobs if not in the media?? It's all very well being employed but if it's to stack shelves, well was the degree worth it? On the other hand, if it's as a trader in a city bank, then of course it was.....

i realise the times table is far from definitive (not sure any table is) but acording to the employment table, computer science degree students are not that far in front of media studies students in their graduate employability...only 7% in it. it's all very well....

remember ther are always two sides to every story :smile:
Reply 294
i've posted alot on this thread, and i'm not even a media studies student. :wink:
Reply 295
claire1985
Didn't say you were taking the piss, i said i do! I think we are the only brave ones, yes

yes its hard to be brave on the internet, someone might neg rep me!!!! :rolleyes:
Reply 296
claire1985
Well, i think i'll just turn out obnoxious, being a historian and all :biggrin: I am off to bed too, can't believe i stayed on here so late

it is a prerequisite of being a historian, hence im very obnoxious.
Reply 297
Ben.S.
I single it out because I am likely to meet with a lot of opposition if I say the same sorts of things about history. Media is trivial (THAT'S why I think it's pointless) - it is part of a subject, not one in its own right. If you are interested by it - do English.

Ben

i think only the ignorant would claim propoganda and the role it has played in twentieth century society and history is trivial.

i also dont think english would cover this topic. seems a bit odd to suggest it is not a subject in its own right. when do subjects not overlap?
Reply 298
rah2

Well she aint ;(. Which i wish wasnt the case cause to me a 2-1 is a good thing, not like she didnt work hard for it :frown:.

Some ways i just feel the university system is one large industry, mass producing graduates who cant get jobs.

Ill see what happens next year when i finish.
Reply 299
W.A.S Hewins
3/you have provided no evidence that women in our society are in chains (or maybe that's the rattling sound I can hear);

HAHA, i'm no anti-feminist but that was funny. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending