The Student Room Group

How hard is Children Nursing?

Hi! I'm going to be starting my Children Nursing degree in September at KCL and was wondering how hard is it? I'm really excited because it's something i'm quite passionate about but after looking at some textbooks i'm nervous it'll be too hard, any advice? Thank you :smile:
Original post by Idkhelplol
Hi! I'm going to be starting my Children Nursing degree in September at KCL and was wondering how hard is it? I'm really excited because it's something i'm quite passionate about but after looking at some textbooks i'm nervous it'll be too hard, any advice? Thank you :smile:

Children nursing is the second most hardest degree in the nursing field with midwifery being probably the most hardest one to do.

With children nursing you are dealing with the birth of children up to about 16/17 before they are transferred to adult nursing side to be looked after.

You'll be fine once you get your first day on placement out of the way as you will be full of nerves when you first go to the placement.

Best wishes for your children nursing degree when you start in September. Three years of hard work ahead but it will be worth it when you finally qualify.

A newly qualified adult nurse ( I actually done a harder degree in veterinary nursing with four years at university and then I went straight back to university for to do my adult nursing degree)
Reply 2
Original post by Littleemma98
Children nursing is the second most hardest degree in the nursing field with midwifery being probably the most hardest one to do.

With children nursing you are dealing with the birth of children up to about 16/17 before they are transferred to adult nursing side to be looked after.

You'll be fine once you get your first day on placement out of the way as you will be full of nerves when you first go to the placement.

Best wishes for your children nursing degree when you start in September. Three years of hard work ahead but it will be worth it when you finally qualify.

A newly qualified adult nurse ( I actually done a harder degree in veterinary nursing with four years at university and then I went straight back to university for to do my adult nursing degree)

Thank you! I'm super excited but definitely nervous

just out of curiosity what made you pick children’s nursing over mental and adult as i’m struggling to pick between children’s or mental
Reply 4
Original post by ladyof_neptune9
just out of curiosity what made you pick children’s nursing over mental and adult as i’m struggling to pick between children’s or mental

For me personally, I love children, and I've had a lot of medical issues growing up so I was often visiting hospitals for most my life, seeing all these brave little kids and hardworking nurses really made me want to do the same thing and take care of them too.

I think that my reasoning was a lot personal to me and not really a general preference that I had. I think all the nursing fields are quite rewarding and respectable, I just really want to connect to other people and be able to be someone they can rely on in the future.

I also think that Children Nursing seems so much more interesting in my opinion! And offers a bit more job opportunities abroad and stuff.
Thank you! I'm super excited but definitely nervous

You are welcome 🤗 🤗 🤗
There's no need to be nervous okay as you'll be fine. Your first few days at university may be nervous at first but you'll settle down 😜
Reply 6
You are welcome 🤗 🤗 🤗
There's no need to be nervous okay as you'll be fine. Your first few days at university may be nervous at first but you'll settle down 😜

Thank you!! I appreciate it, and yes I can definitely feel the nerves coming up as university is close by haha, but you're right it'll get better eventually :smile:
Thank you!! I appreciate it, and yes I can definitely feel the nerves coming up as university is close by haha, but you're right it'll get better eventually :smile:

You are welcome 🤗🤗🤗

I'm glad you have appreciated it ☺️

Yes you do sort of get nervous as the days get closer to starting university but you'll be fine as soon as you are in the building with all the others new students.
Each day will get easier for you and you'll also find it the same when you first go out on placement with your first day being so nervous but as the day goes by you should start feeling better. ☺️😀
Reply 8
You are welcome 🤗🤗🤗

I'm glad you have appreciated it ☺️

Yes you do sort of get nervous as the days get closer to starting university but you'll be fine as soon as you are in the building with all the others new students.
Each day will get easier for you and you'll also find it the same when you first go out on placement with your first day being so nervous but as the day goes by you should start feeling better. ☺️😀

Definitely!!! Thank you xx

Hello @Idkhelplol

I hope you're well. I am a 3rd year midwifery student and I believe you should always work hard for the things you want! It is normal to feel like this, remember you will only be starting now so of course things will seem hard as you don't have background knowledge. University will be super helpful in introducing you to new knowledge and you'll find that you will start to understand things much better. I find textbooks sometimes overcomplicate things, and sometimes it is easier when you go over these things with your university lecturers and peers. Well done for trying to get a head start but I would advise to enjoy the rest of your summer and work hard when university starts - you will be okay!

Best of luck!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 10
How hard a course can be is a bit of a subjective thing tbh. Saying field X is harder than field Y is a load of rubbish IMO. It will depend on the student and their interest in a specific area as to whether they find it hard or easy, as a lot of motivation for learning in adults is driven by their interest in a topic. I'm adult nurse trained, I have a strong interest in critical care nursing (good job as it's been what I do for over a decade) and I would probably find the concepts explored in mental health nursing much more challenging than some of the A&P stuff that I know at depth because of where my interests lie.

You've been given a place on the course of your choice which means the admissions tutors have the opinion you have the ability to get through the course. You sound like you are very interested in childrens nursing and that will be half the battle as you'll be engaged in your learning. There's loads of support in the university to help you get through the course, make sure you access it and you'll get along fine.
Reply 11
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello @Idkhelplol

I hope you're well. I am a 3rd year midwifery student and I believe you should always work hard for the things you want! It is normal to feel like this, remember you will only be starting now so of course things will seem hard as you don't have background knowledge. University will be super helpful in introducing you to new knowledge and you'll find that you will start to understand things much better. I find textbooks sometimes overcomplicate things, and sometimes it is easier when you go over these things with your university lecturers and peers. Well done for trying to get a head start but I would advise to enjoy the rest of your summer and work hard when university starts - you will be okay!

Best of luck!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Thank you so much!!! This was very helpful, I agree sometimes textbooks do make things sound harder, I'm definitely excited though!
Reply 12
Original post by moonkatt
How hard a course can be is a bit of a subjective thing tbh. Saying field X is harder than field Y is a load of rubbish IMO. It will depend on the student and their interest in a specific area as to whether they find it hard or easy, as a lot of motivation for learning in adults is driven by their interest in a topic. I'm adult nurse trained, I have a strong interest in critical care nursing (good job as it's been what I do for over a decade) and I would probably find the concepts explored in mental health nursing much more challenging than some of the A&P stuff that I know at depth because of where my interests lie.

You've been given a place on the course of your choice which means the admissions tutors have the opinion you have the ability to get through the course. You sound like you are very interested in childrens nursing and that will be half the battle as you'll be engaged in your learning. There's loads of support in the university to help you get through the course, make sure you access it and you'll get along fine.

Thank you :smile: You're right I think i'm worrying for nothing! I feel a lot more excited and confident now so i'm really looking forward to it. And yes I have quite the passion for children nursing
Reply 13
Hi! I'm also going to start Children's Nursing in London this month! Definitely nervous about meeting people but I've been following some nursing students on Instagram and it's super exciting to see what we can be doing someday. :smile:
Thank you :smile: You're right I think i'm worrying for nothing! I feel a lot more excited and confident now so i'm really looking forward to it. And yes I have quite the passion for children nursing
G'luck! im starting it soon too and im a male, gonna be very intersting and new experience for me tbh ! lets see what the future holds

Original post by zee_zaina
Hi! I'm also going to start Children's Nursing in London this month! Definitely nervous about meeting people but I've been following some nursing students on Instagram and it's super exciting to see what we can be doing someday. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending