The Student Room Group

Background check, wrong Grade on CV?

Hi everyone, a little background - I have been offered a position in a big company not in the finance/law field. For this job on the job spec, they require a university degree. I have this degree and have put it on my cv so it’s all clear. But I realised that one of my grades on my A-Levels is incorrect on my cv. They do not state on the job requirements anything about A-Levels, just a degree. I’ve been offered the contract and in the contract it says nothing about ‘subject to a background check’ or anything like that.

But let’s say hypothetically, I was to do a background check from a third party, I’ll be required to enter a form inputting all my details right. Let’s say everything in that form I input is correct and is verified such as my employment history and education (degree grade and alevel grades providing they want me to include those grades) and it All comes out perfect and clean. Will they compare the incorrect alevel grade which is on my cv listed as a B, to the clean and checked background check with my correct alevel grade listed as a C. Does this make sense?

Or do background education checks simply state enter your highest degree as I’ve been talking to some people and this is all that’s required.

I’ll forward to your insights and btw I understand I should’ve been more careful in my CV and was an complete oversight when I was formatting my CV before applying.
I promise you, you most likely have absolutely nothing to worry about, these things happen! Most background checks will not go further than University degree level, unless e.g. your company was sponsoring their grads to complete a qualification such as ACA , which has A Level requirements. But since your company did not set any specific A Level requirements, and you're not in finance/law, you'll be fine.

If you are asked to take part in a background check which asks about your A Levels, put down your results correctly, and for your own peace of mind - you could also email your company's HR and briefly explain that you've noticed the small error in your CV. Even if you aren't asked to take part in a check, you could still email and explain if you'd like. It shouldn't affect your offer, since they didn't state any A Level requirements.

This might be a good idea to do if there is a huge discrepancy between your actual A level result and the one on your CV, e.g. if you got a D but accidentally stated that you got an A*.
Reply 2
Original post by gradgirl123
I promise you, you most likely have absolutely nothing to worry about, these things happen! Most background checks will not go further than University degree level, unless e.g. your company was sponsoring their grads to complete a qualification such as ACA , which has A Level requirements. But since your company did not set any specific A Level requirements, and you're not in finance/law, you'll be fine.

If you are asked to take part in a background check which asks about your A Levels, put down your results correctly, and for your own peace of mind - you could also email your company's HR and briefly explain that you've noticed the small error in your CV. Even if you aren't asked to take part in a check, you could still email and explain if you'd like. It shouldn't affect your offer, since they didn't state any A Level requirements.

This might be a good idea to do if there is a huge discrepancy between your actual A level result and the one on your CV, e.g. if you got a D but accidentally stated that you got an A*.

Ah thank you! I suffer with ocd too so literally these thoughts have been consuming my head like there’s no tomorrow even though I’m worried for nothing. The grade listed on my cv is a B and the real grade was a C, literally everything else is perfect including employment history and higher education etc.
Original post by Singhking
Ah thank you! I suffer with ocd too so literally these thoughts have been consuming my head like there’s no tomorrow even though I’m worried for nothing. The grade listed on my cv is a B and the real grade was a C, literally everything else is perfect including employment history and higher education etc.

Oh gosh, I feel for you! Please feel free to cast those worries away. If you want to put your mind at rest, you can email the HR department and just quickly let them know of the error, but it definitely won't affect anything or make them withdraw your offer ! hahahaha that's impossible
Reply 4
Original post by gradgirl123
Oh gosh, I feel for you! Please feel free to cast those worries away. If you want to put your mind at rest, you can email the HR department and just quickly let them know of the error, but it definitely won't affect anything or make them withdraw your offer ! hahahaha that's impossible

Aw haha thank you! I would want to but literally the thought of doing that makes me sick ahah. It’s because they’ve already sent me a contract which I’ve signed and had no line stating ‘subject to a background check’ although they did write subject to professional qualifications and satisfactory references, they still haven’t asked me for those yet
Original post by Singhking
Aw haha thank you! I would want to but literally the thought of doing that makes me sick ahah. It’s because they’ve already sent me a contract which I’ve signed and had no line stating ‘subject to a background check’ although they did write subject to professional qualifications and satisfactory references, they still haven’t asked me for those yet

Totally understand lool :smile: you'll definitely be fine then! I doubt they'll ask for more than your degree certificate (standard for a lot of grad schemes).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending