The Student Room Group

Business and accounting a level difficulty

I just want to know how hard business and accounting a level would be compared to maths and biology as I recently failed these. I passed economics. I would study business and accounting in a year at home.
Original post by John_364
I just want to know how hard business and accounting a level would be compared to maths and biology as I recently failed these. I passed economics. I would study business and accounting in a year at home.

I wouldn't say business is particularly easy, but it's very different to maths. If anything, if you are OK with economics, you should be fine with business.

Having said that, some universities consider business to be too similar to economics to count them as separate subjects (even though I can vouch they are). Should you wish to apply to uni with these, then you would need to consider whether the uni would accept them both as separate subjects.

I can't say much about accounting, but it's usually different in nature to maths (it's definitely not maths). Like maths though, you're expected to know what to do and what judgements to call when you come across the question.

Just out of interest, what do you intend to do with business, accounting, and economics? I have a feeling you intend to go into a business related degree, but I don't want to make too many assumptions. If this is the case, then I have a long list of things that you should consider before enrolling on such a degree.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I wouldn't say business is particularly easy, but it's very different to maths. If anything, if you are OK with economics, you should be fine with business.

Having said that, some universities consider business to be too similar to economics to count them as separate subjects (even though I can vouch they are). Should you wish to apply to uni with these, then you would need to consider whether the uni would accept them both as separate subjects.

I can't say much about accounting, but it's usually different in nature to maths (it's definitely not maths). Like maths though, you're expected to know what to do and what judgements to call when you come across the question.

Just out of interest, what do you intend to do with business, accounting, and economics? I have a feeling you intend to go into a business related degree, but I don't want to make too many assumptions. If this is the case, then I have a long list of things that you should consider before enrolling on such a degree.

Thanks for the reply, I intend to complete a accounting and finance degree in university. So yeah your assumption is right. I know some unis regard economics and business as too similar but this wouldn’t bother me as I’m not aiming for top universities. Thanks for the advice
Thanks for the reply, I intend to complete a accounting and finance degree in university. So yeah your assumption is right. I know some unis regard economics and business as too similar but this wouldn’t bother me as I’m not aiming for top universities. Thanks for the advice

In which case, I do have a long list of comments regarding accounting and finance degrees in general.
From the sound of things, I am not entirely sure whether you want to hear them, but it also sounds like you have made up your mind on the matter. If you want me to list the things you should consider, let me know.
Reply 4

They aren't too difficult, you will be okay

Quick Reply

Latest