The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by la-dauphine
As far as I'm aware Prince William got the grades required for St Andrews, which were lower then than they are now (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though). Cambridge certainly used to give out much lower offers when Prince Charles went - I know someone from a fairly ordinary background who went to Cambridge 10 years later with an offer of two Es for passing the entrance exam. I don't know whether Gaddafi's son was qualified to go to the LSE but found it pretty amusing that Oxford rejected him.

To be fair I think it's hard to buy your way into Oxford but far from impossible. Regarding Prince Charles you are correct. He got a B and a C at A-level, then the Dean of Windsor (according to Wikipedia) recommended him for Cambridge. That in itself is an elite privilege. The man may be a good guy but is clearly not one of the best of the best intellectually. The selection system was probably the same then as it is now, with selection test (without outside oversight), and interview and a panel of admissions people deciding whether he should get in. The very fact that the British government lobbied Oxford to admit Gadaffi's son suggests that it is possible for someone to be allowed into Oxford on such a 'recommendation'. If it was impossible, they would not have tried.
Also for the sake of balance I note that Oxford and Cambridge have a lot of money anyway. So the promise of honours (knighthood, OBE, MBE, whatever), or should that be the decline of honours, probably carries more weight than waving the odd million in a don's face.
Original post by Octohedral
About 75% of Oxford students don't get a first, which is shocking considering the supposed standard of entry.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_degr_3.html#acollege_undergraduate_degree_classifications_201011_sorted_alphabetically

Edit: To clarify, I'm not putting down people who get 2:1's etc, just saying there's clearly a lot of people at other universities who do better than people who get into Oxford - you still have to earn your degree.

Not shocking if you consider how much harder it is to get a First from Oxford than from most other unis. It's not like there's a universal set of exam papers which all uni students sit at the end of their degree or like there's a national examining body which marks all the papers like with A-levels.

EDIT: and to those saying you can "play the system" and get a First from Oxford- I've seen people do that and get a 2:1, but never a 1st. In the arts subjects atleast, it's not enough to just memorise tons of stuff that's likely to come up- to get a 1st they specifically look for originality in your answers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 242
rfttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttte44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444gbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444,

My 2 day old kitten typed this :smile:
Reply 243
It would be stupid not to assume that a small number of VIPs will be able to get places in whatever uni in the world they want to go to, on account of family name or money.

But obviously you cant simply make a big donation and automatically get a place. And the people who get the places by being a VIP or VRP aren't people the majority of people at Oxford and Cambridge or Harvard and Yale are ever going to be competing with in life anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 244
I'm not totally convinced about the whole grade inflation thing. Some subjects have become less work-intensive, and obviously there's coursework as a safety net for exams, but I've spoken to people who took exams 40 years ago and who agree that the concepts students have to grapple with now are no easier - sometimes more complex - than in their schooldays. The reason why Oxbridge stopped giving out really low offers was because schools were complaining that their students weren't doing any work for the rest of the year and of course as competition for places increased the entry requirements crept up as a kind of filter.

Believe me it's true. I read an article in the latest Economist magazine today about inflation other than monetary inflation - inflation in women's jean sizes, food sizes, hotel ratings and so on. It included a section on grade inflation - Durham University did a recent study that concluded that a C grade at A-level in 1980 is equivalent to an A grade today. How can you explain the fact that the proportion of students getting A's at A-level has more than doubled over the past decades yet standardised tests show that students haven't got any cleverer?

Wrt the OP - I doubt you can buy your way in if you're just a random person off the street. You need connections, power and influence e.g. the Royal family, Russian oligarchs and so on. And the person trying to get admittance needs to be at a decent level of intellegence. It's probably very discrete and tacit, not an explicit 'you're in without any interviews or tests', rather your application will be looked on very favourably. And this applies to any university, not just Oxbridge.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 245
I am pretty sure this Russian billionaire could buy/influence a place for his son or grandson at Oxford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Berezovsky_%28businessman%29
Original post by RocknRap
Believe me it's true. I read an article in the latest Economist magazine today about inflation other than monetary inflation - inflation in women's jean sizes, food sizes, hotel ratings and so on. It included a section on grade inflation - Durham University did a recent study that concluded that a C grade at A-level in 1980 is equivalent to an A grade today. How can you explain the fact that the proportion of students getting A's at A-level has more than doubled over the past decades yet standardised tests show that students haven't got any cleverer?

You could argue that fewer students are left behind in the system today - I know several people who were perfectly capable of getting good grades in the 60s and 70s but got no encouragement and support for their exams, whilst today that support is available for sixth formers.

In any case, if A Levels were that worryingly easy today, the thousands of students who go on to Oxford and Cambridge after achieving AAA at A Level would find the standard of work impossible to cope with. I don't really get the fascination with 'grade inflation' because it just seems irrelevant.
Reply 247
You could argue that fewer students are left behind in the system today - I know several people who were perfectly capable of getting good grades in the 60s and 70s but got no encouragement and support for their exams, whilst today that support is available for sixth formers.

In any case, if A Levels were that worryingly easy today, the thousands of students who go on to Oxford and Cambridge after achieving AAA at A Level would find the standard of work impossible to cope with. I don't really get the fascination with 'grade inflation' because it just seems irrelevant.

Not really. It just means that it is harder to seperate the top students from the rest. Hence the application system also takes into account personal statements, references, interview performance and additonal test performance (the last two being the most important of course).
Original post by RocknRap
Not really. It just means that it is harder to seperate the top students from the rest. Hence the application system also takes into account personal statements, references, interview performance and additonal test performance (the last two being the most important of course).

Yeah I've always liked the Oxbridge application system, especially as interviews are much better at assessing potential and the way you think than exams, which are often a case of jumping through hoops.
Original post by JayReg
That's quite surprising, would you say that's also true across the board for subjects other than yours?

Well I don't know about the other subjects, as I don't study them :p: But I've been warned against the route I've described by at least one tutor at Oxford. The pressure can be really great to aim for an exam pass and nothing else, and it can come at the cost of the love for your subject. My course aims to teach a love of German literature within its historical and literary contexts, but it's very easy just to learnt he right facts for each individual book and learn to right good essays just about them, without appreciating the fact that there are many more books which could be written about, discussed, appreciated, that are often just as good, if not better, but which we just don't have time for in the space of a three hour exam.
Reply 250
Original post by Extricated
Three theories.

1) You're lying to perpetuate myths about Oxford.
2) He's lying about his "offer."
3) He seems quiet to you but may be excellent at his subject and felt more comfortable talking to people who share the same passion for his subject, excelling at interview.

:rolleyes:

4) They accepted a bribe from him
Original post by ellasmith
Don't rate me down, but I've heard across the grapevine that some people with contacts in Oxford and with some extra moolah can BUY their way into Oxford.

For example, this super rich russian guy in my year is not really oxford mat. He's a distinctly average student who isn't really loquacious enough to blag his way in via interview or personal statement. He has links to admissions tutors in Oxford and a **** load of money and got an Oxford offer for law at BBB.

WTF? :hmmm:

OPINIONS?

There is a lot of truth to that comment as not just Oxford, but Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, the other redbricks and their American equivalents have a long history of accepting the progeny of the rich, the famous and the influential, and particularly those from abroad. I suppose a mixture of money and maintaining ties upon which both parties mutually benefit from lies at the heart.

Oxford accepted the late Benazir Bhutto son, Bilawal to do PPP

Saif al-Ghaddafi did his PhD at LSE, after it was claimed a donation of £1.5 million was given. It was subsequently found that he had someone else write his PhD and so was stripped of his title. This was also alledged to have happened - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/01/foreign-office-oxford-gaddafi-son

Mehdi Hashemi Rafsanjani son of a former Iranian president was also embroiled in some fiasco - http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/mar/27/oxford-university-inquiry-rafsanjani-son.

Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck was given admission to Oxford.

Nicky Blair, Son of Tony Blair was also given admission to Oxford.

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex was giving admission to Cambridge University in the 80s despite an outcry that he hadn't proven his aptitude in his A-levels or entrance exams/interview at Cambridge.

Chelsea Clinton was offered a place at Oxford University

Kingwa Kamencu a Kenyan politician was offered a place at Oxford University

Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, who is husband to a billionaire heiress, his son was offered a place at Harvard University (yeah I know it's not in England)

The Winklevoss twins, sons of a former professor of acturial science turned founder of multimillion dollar enterprises Winklevoss Consultants and Winklevoss Technologies, who are known primarily for having received a settlement from Mark Zuckerberg during the Facebook Wars saga, and secondly for their rowing, were given places at Harvard and then at Oxford.

What I can't comment on is, whether or not each recipient of a place at a prestigious university deserved their place or not, but that to some extent is irrelevant, what I am interested in is whether or not their connections, the fact their parents are Oxbridge or redbrick alumni or the fame they have had any impetus to backdoor decision-making in awarding them a place. Let me put it differently, if they didn't have the connections, the fame or the financial resource, would they have still gotten a place and I think (with the greatest objectivity in mind) the answer is either "No" or at best, "maybe".
Original post by medic_armadillo7
What I can't comment on is, whether or not each recipient of a place at a prestigious university deserved their place or not, but that to some extent is irrelevant, what I am interested in is whether or not their connections, the fact their parents are Oxbridge or redbrick alumni or the fame they have had any impetus to backdoor decision-making in awarding them a place. Let me put it differently, if they didn't have the connections, the fame or the financial resource, would they have still gotten a place and I think (with the greatest objectivity in mind) the answer is either "No" or at best, "maybe".

Why automatically assume that, just because they're the children of rich/famous people, they bought their places? (I can speak for Oxford but that's it really) The fact that Oxford turned Gaddafi's son down speaks volumes. They have more than enough money without having to pander to politicians like Blair. In his son's case I would strongly suspect that he got there through merit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Picaa
To be fair I think it's hard to buy your way into Oxford but far from impossible. Regarding Prince Charles you are correct. He got a B and a C at A-level, then the Dean of Windsor (according to Wikipedia) recommended him for Cambridge. That in itself is an elite privilege. The man may be a good guy but is clearly not one of the best of the best intellectually. The selection system was probably the same then as it is now, with selection test (without outside oversight), and interview and a panel of admissions people deciding whether he should get in. The very fact that the British government lobbied Oxford to admit Gadaffi's son suggests that it is possible for someone to be allowed into Oxford on such a 'recommendation'. If it was impossible, they would not have tried.
Also for the sake of balance I note that Oxford and Cambridge have a lot of money anyway. So the promise of honours (knighthood, OBE, MBE, whatever), or should that be the decline of honours, probably carries more weight than waving the odd million in a don's face.

Oh definitely, in Prince Charles's days I would say that there was a clear bias towards the rich, through "recommendations" and such. And I think the fact that Oxford DIDN'T accept Gaddafi, despite him being recommended by the government, because he didn't meet their entry standards shows that there's been a lot of progression since. Most dons don't really care about honours, they just care about their subjects and about admitting the most academically able students for their subjects. It's a shame that LSE didn't do the same..
Why automatically assume that, just because they're the children of rich/famous people, they bought their places? (I can speak for Oxford but that's it really) The fact that Oxford turned Gaddafi's son down speaks volumes. They have more than enough money without having to pander to politicians like Blair. In his son's case I would strongly suspect that he got there through merit.

Lol, I'm not assuming anything. The fact that Saif al-Islam could effectively buy his at LSE, speaks masses and as more of this comes to light particularly with foreign dignitaries that might not be so discreet with the incidental enrolment of their family at prestigious unis that they co-incidentally are alumni of or have recently made a substantial donation to.

The reason why "Oxford turning down Gaddafi's son speaks volumes" is purely because of political tensions, and it says nothing about the backhand deals that go on with wealthy, but slightly more obscure magnates, oligarchs, billionaires, multi-multimillionaires that do not appear on the public's radar, and yet their son or daughter (and I have met a fair few of them as I attended a private school on a 100% scholarship, because my family were dirt poor at the time after having just lost our house and my mother simultaneously being made redundant), who attained BBC at best at A-level, gained admission to a redbrick because they not only could pay international fees for their 3-4 year degree in one go, but give financial endorsements that make the fees look like lunch money.

You look at the endowment funds of Oxford and Cambridge and they have funds running into the billions, namely because of huge endorsements and "charitable donations" from financial heavyweights who are alumni. Other redbricks have quite big endowment funds in the region of ten to hundreds of millions of pounds. Now this is fine, but you have to wonder, by way of human nature, nothing ever comes for free or without a caveat, and I think Oxbridge's and the other redbrick's way of partially honouring their side of the bargain is to unfortunately, accept a handful of the families of the rich and influential, regardless of whether they have the aptitude to get in or not. And that is something we'll never know, because I suspect that by such internal processes they can be exempt from the rigors of the admission's process.

Think of it also this way, which academic institution wouldn't want to say that they taught the fundamentals of politics or economics (which is almost always is) to the future leader of a world state? Our paradigm of Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews and Edinburgh are that they are "British institutions", when actually they are just institutions in Britain, who dates of inception as an academic institution pre-date our government. As far as they are concerned, despite political influence to streamline admissions processes in the UK and make it fairer (although this itself is a moot point), as the epitomes of first class institutions, they will hold their own interests at heart independent of whatever the government says or however progressive British society may be. Currently the way world politics and world society are ,works for them, which makes it all the more plausible for a way to BUY your way into Oxford (or any other prestigious academic institution) to exist.

I think the proxy-argument to this discussion is whether wealth, resource and power produce the "best" students and I think, judging from the actions of most top unis, they obviously partly believe in such an idea. (I say partly, because they obviously accept students from other backgrounds).

As a final word, I am not critical of such institutions. I just accept that it is human nature and perhaps a necessary evil (in their eyes) and it has to be regulated so that it is not abused by the rich and influential, but I think you have to acknowledge that it happens, and not vehemently opt for denial of such practices, especially amongst old and powerful institutions with vested political, financial and social interests.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 255
Oh definitely, in Prince Charles's days I would say that there was a clear bias towards the rich, through "recommendations" and such. And I think the fact that Oxford DIDN'T accept Gaddafi, despite him being recommended by the government, because he didn't meet their entry standards shows that there's been a lot of progression since. Most dons don't really care about honours, they just care about their subjects and about admitting the most academically able students for their subjects. It's a shame that LSE didn't do the same..

It worked differently in the old days and now Oxford puts more emphasis on A-level grades. Which is a very recent thing in the organisation's 800 year history. Which means that the reputation of Oxford as it currently stands, having been built up over centuries when they would take social, political and economic elites is grossly exaggerated. I disagree with you about honours and dons. That would be a very idealistic world in which honours weren't sought after by people like dons, magistrates, civil servants, etc.
Original post by Picaa
It worked differently in the old days and now Oxford puts more emphasis on A-level grades. Which is a very recent thing in the organisation's 800 year history. Which means that the reputation of Oxford as it currently stands, having been built up over centuries when they would take social, political and economic elites is grossly exaggerated. I disagree with you about honours and dons. That would be a very idealistic world in which honours weren't sought after by people like dons, magistrates, civil servants, etc.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with dons but the ones I've met couldn't really give two hoots about anything but their subject. The fact that Oxford dons voted to condemn the government's HE white paper before any other university is at odds with the idea that they'd pander to the government in order to get honours. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think Oxford's reputation is grossly exaggerated.
Reply 257
Not sure about Oxford, but 100% certain universities will be happy to accept bribes.
slightly more obscure magnates, oligarchs, billionaires, multi-multimillionaires that do not appear on the public's radar, and yet their son or daughter (and I have met a fair few of them as I attended a private school on a 100% scholarship, because my family were dirt poor at the time after having just lost our house and my mother simultaneously being made redundant), who attained BBC at best at A-level, gained admission to a redbrick because they not only could pay international fees for their 3-4 year degree in one go, but give financial endorsements that make the fees look like lunch money.

Oh, I'm not doubting that the redbricks have given out BBC offers....But I'd be interested to know if Oxford or Cambridge have actually made any BBC offers in the last few years. As far as I'm aware they haven't, and fewer than 2% of their undergrads got less than AAA at A Level (I know one of those people, he went to a state school, he got A*A*B and missed his last A by one mark, so they took him on anyway).

You look at the endowment funds of Oxford and Cambridge and they have funds running into the billions, namely because of huge endorsements and "charitable donations" from financial heavyweights who are alumni. Other redbricks have quite big endowment funds in the region of ten to hundreds of millions of pounds. Now this is fine, but you have to wonder, by way of human nature, nothing ever comes for free or without a caveat, and I think Oxbridge's and the other redbrick's way of partially honouring their side of the bargain is to unfortunately, accept a handful of the families of the rich and influential, regardless of whether they have the aptitude to get in or not.

It's not in Oxford's interests to accept below-par candidates because it's primarily an academic institution. It raises enough money through sponsors/the government/bequeathments and in general Oxbridge alumni go on to become successful independent of their family's wealth - it's the Oxbridge degree that gives them the advantage. And then there are stories like this http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/feb/29/atlantic-records-founder-26m-oxford - as far as I'm aware, the donor didn't even study at Oxford.

Think of it also this way, which academic institution wouldn't want to say that they taught the fundamentals of politics or economics (which is almost always is) to the future leader of a world state?

Oxford and Cambridge already have an impressive list of alumni. They don't need to accept a dictator's son in order to look good. Many of the state-schooled students that they taken on will most likely go on to become famous (Margaret Thatcher being one of the most prominent examples so far). While St Andrews clearly capitalised on Prince William, Oxford never really makes a big deal about its alumni and it certainly wasn't the impression I got when I looked round. Oxford doesn't actually want students to apply because Blair's son went there. They want students to apply because they love their subjects.

I think the proxy-argument to this discussion is whether wealth, resource and power produce the "best" students and I think, judging from the actions of most top unis, they obviously partly believe in such an idea. (I say partly, because they obviously accept students from other backgrounds).

Have you actually been through the Oxbridge admissions process?
Original post by Picaa

I don't have a huge amount of experience with dons but the ones I've met couldn't really give two hoots about anything but their subject. The fact that Oxford dons voted to condemn the government's HE white paper before any other university is at odds with the idea that they'd pander to the government in order to get honours. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think Oxford's reputation is grossly exaggerated.

As is usual with such things, the issue is how the question is framed.

If the question is can someone buy a place for a first undergraduate degree, then the answer is "no".

Are strings pulled for the well-connected to get on such courses, probably "no".

The last scandal I am aware of concerned two Trinity candidates for 2002 admission.

http://www.btinternet.com/~akme/Ingrams.html

However, if you are reasonably bright, have an undergraduate degree elsewhere (or even are studying at an elite institution abroad) and money and course are no object, then you will not have any real difficulty getting in to Oxford.

Latest

Trending

Trending