The Student Room Group

History at Oxford

I've been offered a place at Oxford for History (which I'm very thankful for) but I initially applied to do History and Politics? What should I do? Should I ask to change if I get in or is that not possible?
Reply 1
Original post by ARTYARTYe
I've been offered a place at Oxford for History (which I'm very thankful for) but I initially applied to do History and Politics? What should I do? Should I ask to change if I get in or is that not possible?

Congratulations on your offer!

I’d recommend emailing admissions just to see what’s happened and if there’s any way you can join the course you want, or whether they only have space for you on the history programme.
Reply 2
Original post by KK_
Congratulations on your offer!

I’d recommend emailing admissions just to see what’s happened and if there’s any way you can join the course you want, or whether they only have space for you on the history programme.

Will do thanks!
My congratulations!) you get a good advice, no matter what, most of the time, no one forbids asking questions, and this is especially true in the universities. Sometimes it seems that everything is wasted, but you find a person who will give you answers or help you solve a problem
Reply 4

Congratulations!!
On their open day, they did say that sometimes they offer candidates who perform well in the history component but not so well in the politics component, a place for History instead of HisPol. Maybe that happened to you, although I would expect they would have informed you about that. It's best to ask them.
If my suggestion does turn out to be true, then you might have to make that choice ☹️ but tbh there are so many political modules you can take in straight history, that unless you are dead set on the quantitative aspect of politics, you won't miss out too much.

Out of interest, which college did you get an offer from?
Reply 5
Original post by iamalive
Congratulations!!
On their open day, they did say that sometimes they offer candidates who perform well in the history component but not so well in the politics component, a place for History instead of HisPol. Maybe that happened to you, although I would expect they would have informed you about that. It's best to ask them.
If my suggestion does turn out to be true, then you might have to make that choice ☹️ but tbh there are so many political modules you can take in straight history, that unless you are dead set on the quantitative aspect of politics, you won't miss out too much.

Out of interest, which college did you get an offer from?

Thanks! I got an offer from Univ, which I’m very happy with. Btw do you go to Harris Westminster? (I go there and and couldn’t help but notice you joined their discussion)
Reply 6
Thanks! I got an offer from Univ, which I’m very happy with. Btw do you go to Harris Westminster? (I go there and and couldn’t help but notice you joined their discussion)

Univ is nice! No I don't go to Harris, but I had applied and gotten a place there. I didn't accept it though (honestly no regrets I still achieved everything I wanted without all the added stress they induce with their timetables). Do you go there?
Reply 7
Politics is history now anyway. 😉
Reply 8
Original post by Picnicl
Politics is history now anyway. 😉

Everything is politics in one way or another
Reply 9
Original post by iamalive
Everything is politics in one way or another

Not really.
If I make a cake just for myself, I didn't do so for political ends nor to gain anything from others.
Reply 10
Original post by Picnicl
Not really.
If I make a cake just for myself, I didn't do so for political ends nor to gain anything from others.

how did you acquire the ingredients? there's politics there.
the energy needed to bake the cake? that can be political.
what about the recipe? that might also have involved a small dose of politics.
I can't think of more examples right now, but point is, politics is the basis of society :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending