The Student Room Group

Psychology AQA A PSYA3 11th June 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by earthisearthis
Time to get cracking ha.

The exam covers 8 topics, and you are required to answer questions from just 3 of them. The majority of questions will be full essays worth 24 marks, but sometimes the section will be split into two 12 (4+8 each) mark essays, or one 4 mark question and a 20 mark (4+16) question.

Good luck with th enext five days ha

Awh I'll need it! Thanks for cleAring it up for me! Ridiculous how much there is to learn for basically three 24 markers ):
Original post by UWS
Relationships, aggression and eating disorders

I checked grade boundaries over the last few years, you need about 15-17 on each essay for an A

Ah, you're doing the same topics as I am. I was going to send you my essays, but turns out they're all either handwritten or on my school network, so unless someone else sends you some, I'll type one or two up later for you to read through and give you an idea of what my teacher perceives an 18 mark essay to be.
How important is remembering the names of researchers? I often find that I can name a few and then my mind will go blank, but I'll know what the results of the study showed. Is it ok to just put 'However, contradictory findings show that * insert results of study*'?
Reply 1383
does anyone have any notes on either perception, aggression or relationships?
i'm doing those 3 topics and having a panic for the exam on monday! ive made some notes but would be good to compare with other peoples..

thanks
Original post by SecretCircus
How important is remembering the names of researchers? I often find that I can name a few and then my mind will go blank, but I'll know what the results of the study showed. Is it ok to just put 'However, contradictory findings show that * insert results of study*'?

Remembering the researchers names just makes it obvious to the examiner that you know what you're talking about. You don't have to include the names, they just have to identify that you are actually talking about a real study, so as long as you know what they did and what they found you'll be fine.
Original post by SecretCircus

This has been discussed a lot during the thread. My two cents a few pages back was:

me
Named researchers do not gain marks. However, we are expected to know the names of key researchers (depending what topics you are doing) so the names of the main theorist [eg bandura, buss, duck, etc] are fairly important.

But beyond that, named researchers only demonstrate a more precise learned understanding on your behalf, and can make a vague statement (eg "some psychologists suggest that such and such is bad") seem more accurate and scientific. This will lend you favour in the examiners eyes, and maybe push an essay up by one or two marks simply by creating an impression that you are a knowledgeable booklearnt ****.

Right now, I think that thoroughly revising an extra two paragraphs of content for an essay is much better than being able to remember so-and-so's name in the exam by just spending time looking over and over at lists of names
Original post by eloc_ssej
Remembering the researchers names just makes it obvious to the examiner that you know what you're talking about. You don't have to include the names, they just have to identify that you are actually talking about a real study, so as long as you know what they did and what they found you'll be fine.

Original post by earthisearthis
This has been discussed a lot during the thread. My two cents a few pages back was:

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by sarahc_x
does anyone have any notes on either perception, aggression or relationships?
i'm doing those 3 topics and having a panic for the exam on monday! ive made some notes but would be good to compare with other peoples..

thanks

It may not be much, but you can have my handout on formation and maintenance of relationships as it's all I can access at the moment.
Out of all the topics I'm doing (sleep, relationships and gender) the sleep essay is the one I'm dreading the most. arrrghh :frown:
Reply 1389
What are the predictions for:
Aggression:
Just wondering, if we have to write an essay on genetic influence in aggression, do we need to include genes for aggression e.g. DRD4/DRD3 or would just writing about twin and adoption studies be ok?
Original post by colourfulpen
Just wondering, if we have to write an essay on genetic influence in aggression, do we need to include genes for aggression e.g. DRD4/DRD3 or would just writing about twin and adoption studies be ok?

I'd try and cover as many different gene-related topics as possible - I'm doing adoption/twin studies, selective breeding with animals, XYY syndrome, and the MAOA gene (though DRD4/3 would be fine instead as it's the same jist). Gives more opportunities for A02! Like selective breeding = use of animals etc
hope I helped! :smile:
Original post by PieEatingHorses
Hey, I'll do it simplistically :smile:

Stages 1 & 2 - Relaxed state, easily woken. Alpha and Theta waves, heart rate slows, temperature drops.

Stages 3 & 4 (SWS) - Delta waves, metabolic rate slowest, growth hormone produced.

Stage 5 (REM) - Called paradoxical sleep because the brain and eyes active but body is paralysed.

we could never get a 24 marker on this could we? it seems impossible, there is no evaluation!
Reply 1393
does anyone else find that there is not enough research for a 24 marker on SLT (aggression)
Original post by Dollyandra
I'd try and cover as many different gene-related topics as possible - I'm doing adoption/twin studies, selective breeding with animals, XYY syndrome, and the MAOA gene (though DRD4/3 would be fine instead as it's the same jist). Gives more opportunities for A02! Like selective breeding = use of animals etc
hope I helped! :smile:

ah okay :smile: thank you! I haven't got much info on selective breeding or the XXY syndrome as it isn't in my textbook! I'll just have to write about twin/adoption and specific genes in ALOT of detail! :smile:
Original post by :)J
does anyone else find that there is not enough research for a 24 marker on SLT (aggression)

you could evaluate the SLT with other views such as deindividuation and say why thats better than SLT :smile:
Can someone give a sentence or two on why using rating scales is a methodological problem? I can't seem to put into words what I want to say.
Original post by Tpos
Hey!

I'm confused about what topics to choose :s-smilie: Well I'm being taught aggression and then if I want I can be taught eating behaviour too but then I don't know what to choose for my 3rd topic - gender, perception of cognition?! I think cognition looks the easiest but might not be as interesting. hmmm

Phoaphoaphoa hold your horses, if your doing that specific course which includes aggression, eating behaviour, then your last topic is gender. You should have been learning about gender for a few months now?!

Hope this helps! Do not chose any other topics!
Original post by Amandeep Khatkar
For aggression deindividuation may come up as it hasn't been up recently

It might.....but genetics has only ever appeared as a 4 marker
sigh feeling ill but still have 6 topics to go over :frown:
goodluck guys! I'm gonna go snuggle up with a coffee and my revision notes <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending