The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Psychology Papers 1 & 2 - 19th & 26th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Edexcel GCSE Psychology Papers 1 and 2 (1PS0 01 and 1PS0 02) - 19th May and 26th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.
Wishing you all the best of luck. :yy:

General Information
Paper 1

Date/Time: Friday 19th May 2023/ PM
Length: 1hr 45 mins

Paper 2

Date/Time: Friday 26th May 2023/ PM
Length: 1hr 20 mins

Resources
Edexcel GCSE Psychology
(edited 12 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me or are the Edexcel Psychology GCSE exams incredibly difficult to get through in the time limit? I've run out of time in two past papers and I'm really struggling with it. I think my main issue is the essays. I'm supper bad at essay planning and writing so I just go on for way to long. Does anyone have any advice for both essays and just getting through papers in time?
i had the same problem last year. honestly u should first do as many past papers as u can all within the time limit.
if ur already doing that and still not getting enough time to finish a couple of questions, set a timer for each question and force yourself to finish within that time, like 15 mins for a 12 marker.
secondly make sure yk the structure for each question, like 12 marks is a01, ao2 & ao3, so you would have 4 points for each - this helps you in knowing what to focus on in the essays rather than waffling about say just the ao1 and then only scoring 4 marks cus u missed the other points
ao1 - point/knowledge/ whatever yk about like for example the brain structure
a02 - evidence from the scenario if given/ the case study given
aa03 - evaluation, GRAVE, strengths and weakness of ao1

hope this helps
Original post by psychstudent2625
i had the same problem last year. honestly u should first do as many past papers as u can all within the time limit.
if ur already doing that and still not getting enough time to finish a couple of questions, set a timer for each question and force yourself to finish within that time, like 15 mins for a 12 marker.
secondly make sure yk the structure for each question, like 12 marks is a01, ao2 & ao3, so you would have 4 points for each - this helps you in knowing what to focus on in the essays rather than waffling about say just the ao1 and then only scoring 4 marks cus u missed the other points

hope this helps

hey ive been struggling with 9 markers and 12 markers too. would u kinda go more into detail if thats alright? like for example this q, i didnt even knnow the ao3s so im pretty confused on how to approach these Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 7.21.30 PM.png

hope this helps

Thanks so much. I think I'm going to have to face my fear of essay questions and repeat those all specifically, like you said.
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
hey ive been struggling with 9 markers and 12 markers too. would u kinda go more into detail if thats alright? like for example this q, i didnt even knnow the ao3s so im pretty confused on how to approach these Screenshot 2023-04-27 at 7.21.30 PM.png

no prob. so 9 markers from my memory was a01 a02 a03 and saame with 12 markers except you give 4 points per AO for 12 marker and 3 points for 9 marker. so to make it more clear
9 marks -- AO1 (three points)
AO2 (three points)
AO3 (three points)

12 marks -- AO1 (four points)
AO2 (four points)
AO3 (four points)

so in this question youre gonna need three pargraphs for each AO
your first pargraph will be everythig you can talk about morality. you need three points atleast which are highly developed fully explaining what is morality and its types. this is your AO1 paragraph.

your second paragraph would be relating it to the scenario so talk about about what each man said and link it to your points about the types or morality. the three men give you three points to talk about. this is your AO2 para.

your last paragraph is your evalution, your strengths and weaknesses about the morality theory. so you bring in stuff like it is supprted by this sttudy, but this theory lacks this or that AND EXPLAIN IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN to ensure full marks on your point. this is your AO3 para.
no prob. so 9 markers from my memory was a01 a02 a03 and saame with 12 markers except you give 4 points per AO for 12 marker and 3 points for 9 marker. so to make it more clear
AO2 (three points)
AO3 (three points)

AO2 (four points)
AO3 (four points)

your first pargraph will be everythig you can talk about morality. you need three points atleast which are highly developed fully explaining what is morality and its types. this is your AO1 paragraph.

your second paragraph would be relating it to the scenario so talk about about what each man said and link it to your points about the types or morality. the three men give you three points to talk about. this is your AO2 para.

your last paragraph is your evalution, your strengths and weaknesses about the morality theory. so you bring in stuff like it is supprted by this sttudy, but this theory lacks this or that AND EXPLAIN IT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN to ensure full marks on your point. this is your AO3 para.

So for the essays, is it better to do one paragraph per AO, or have one AO in each paragraph? What I have generally done is essentially followed the P-E-E rule, just modifying it for the AOs. So I'd make a point about morality, let's say, then I'd apply that point to the case, and finally I'd suggest a strength, weakness, theory or expansion to that point. would this still be awarded the marks in terms of essay structure?
Original post by g_Beth_t
So for the essays, is it better to do one paragraph per AO, or have one AO in each paragraph? What I have generally done is essentially followed the P-E-E rule, just modifying it for the AOs. So I'd make a point about morality, let's say, then I'd apply that point to the case, and finally I'd suggest a strength, weakness, theory or expansion to that point. would this still be awarded the marks in terms of essay structure?

for a levels i do like a whole paragraph per AO, so like a 12/9 marker will have 3 para's per AO plus conclusion if u can (id suggest it, personally i was never taught that until this year, so if youve got time, do it, just summarise everything)

Also the PEE rule is really effective if you can swiftly link your points (most students struggle w that) so if you think youre good at linking points def do it, but make sure you expand alot and not write just like 3 sentences per AO as examiners want that detail (better safe than sorry!)
Is it just me or are the Edexcel Psychology GCSE exams incredibly difficult to get through in the time limit? I've run out of time in two past papers and I'm really struggling with it. I think my main issue is the essays. I'm supper bad at essay planning and writing so I just go on for way to long. Does anyone have any advice for both essays and just getting through papers in time?

for a levels i do like a whole paragraph per AO, so like a 12/9 marker will have 3 para's per AO plus conclusion if u can (id suggest it, personally i was never taught that until this year, so if youve got time, do it, just summarise everything)

Also the PEE rule is really effective if you can swiftly link your points (most students struggle w that) so if you think youre good at linking points def do it, but make sure you expand alot and not write just like 3 sentences per AO as examiners want that detail (better safe than sorry!)

Ok, thank you! I will keep working at it and hopefully I can get my time down in three weeks... the most recent 12 marker I did for psych I managed 20 minutes - but I have yet to mark it, so it may have just been 20 minutes of nothing!
Ok, thank you! I will keep working at it and hopefully I can get my time down in three weeks... the most recent 12 marker I did for psych I managed 20 minutes - but I have yet to mark it, so it may have just been 20 minutes of nothing!

make sure you plan! super important, i do it for almost all questions that are above 4 marks, just a scribble or what im gonna include. since i take psych, socio and eng lit, all essay based subjects, i make a plan for almost every single question. ive attached how my plans look like (this is for eng lit)
AO2 (three points)
AO3 (three points)

AO2 (four points)
AO3 (four points)

thank you so much good luck for any exams ur gonna have (if there are any)
Hi everyone, just to let you know that I've made this the official thread for this exam. :smile: Good luck with your revision!
does anyone know what the most likely issue and debate will be for paper 1?? i’m PRAYING for nature vs nurture
Reply 13
Original post by ofunsoundmind
does anyone know what the most likely issue and debate will be for paper 1?? i’m PRAYING for nature vs nurture

I think the only one that hasn't been done yet is social and cultural issues, so maybe that? Also, nature/nurture was in the SAM and a previous paper, so I don't know that they will repeat it. Whatever it is, I hope it goes well for you!
hello sorry i highly doubt you’re awake at all but do you have any idea on what to write about in a social and cultural issues 9 marker? my teacher never taught us issue and debates and i’m struggling to find content online lol
hello sorry i highly doubt you’re awake at all but do you have any idea on what to write about in a social and cultural issues 9 marker? my teacher never taught us issue and debates and i’m struggling to find content online lol

hey i hope ur awake now but basically look at the 9 marker eg they gave in the textbook cuz it gives u a good understanding. basically they may ask u stuff like 'evaluate how culture influences group behaviour or what factors influence social issues.

so the ao1s for these 2 qs r given directly in the text
ao2 ig we cant tell till we actually get our paper
the ao3s are also given in the text... (each factor has a study it references)

if u want me to be more specific with egs just lmk
I think the only one that hasn't been done yet is social and cultural issues, so maybe that? Also, nature/nurture was in the SAM and a previous paper, so I don't know that they will repeat it. Whatever it is, I hope it goes well for you!

yea im pretty sure it would be social and cultural issues... i doubt its neurology as thats what we got for june and it cant be nature and nurture just cuz its been don e so many times. theyve alr done willingham and reductionism so yea thats the only option ig. but theyve repeated nature and nurture b4 so dont just ignore those pages ig
does anyone have any general tips for this paper? cuz my teachers for psych hhavent really been the most helpful so i feel kinda lost yk
Reply 18
Original post by j3ssica jon3s
does anyone have any general tips for this paper? cuz my teachers for psych hhavent really been the most helpful so i feel kinda lost yk

I think just stay calm and reread each question. Make sure that you apply every single point to the context, especially strengths and weaknesses as you can lose marks if they are “too generic” as in not explained or applied well. I would also recommend not doing the questions in order if you don’t know it or are better at some than others. Just do it in the order that makes sense. Lastly, I think you will actually know more than you think you do in the actual exam because in that setting with the questions asked etc. your brain is more likely to recall what you know about that topic.

I hope it goes well for you today, and everyone else :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 19
6CB94045-D1B8-45B6-9EE5-1E7F02A2D969.jpegFCD217AA-19C1-40BA-A267-802CF5E391C0.jpeg6C1D475F-0CEA-4976-AC42-D0713A7669A2.jpeg

This is social and cultural issues. Basically - know the word society and what social issues are. Then just try and explain how different types of social influence influence behaviour and how that can cause social issues. Obviously in the exam it will be a specific case so try and apply it to that right the way through

For cultural issues you will have to compare individualistic and collectivist in cultures throughout.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending