The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Psychology Support for 2024 exams

Hi :smile: I sat AQA A-Level Psychology last year (2023) and achieved an A*, with 257/288 overall, and 93/97 on Paper 3. I mention these results as I am thinking of offering tutoring to those who might be interested in it, in the run-up to exams, as well as selling bundles of A* essays that I have written for topics in Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3 with annotations of what makes that specific essay of A* quality, so that you are able to employ the same technique to make your essays A* quality! I can also look over essays if anyone would find that more useful and provide advice on how to improve. If anyone is interested, please send me a message :smile: This is not limited to year 13, and I am more than happy to provide the same services to someone in year 12 in preparation for mock exams.
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexstahlmann
Hi :smile: I sat AQA A-Level Psychology last year (2023) and achieved an A*, with 257/288 overall, and 93/97 on Paper 3. I mention these results as I am thinking of offering tutoring to those who might be interested in it, in the run-up to exams, as well as selling bundles of A* essays that I have written for topics in Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3 with annotations of what makes that specific essay of A* quality, so that you are able to employ the same technique to make your essays A* quality! I can also look over essays if anyone would find that more useful and provide advice on how to improve. If anyone is interested, please send me a message :smile: This is not limited to year 13, and I am more than happy to provide the same services to someone in year 12 in preparation for mock exams

Hi, I have a test and I need to revise biopsychology and issues and debates - what would you say would be an ideal way to revise to get top marks, my own method is that I use my psychology booklet that we use in lesson as it has all the notes in and some prep exam questions though I haven’t attempted all of them just yet, then I try to recall actively with flash cards or on Quizlet and then I attempt a past paper with the topics that will come up or that need to be reviewed, but I still come out with a B/C and I want to get to an A? ( also my test in on the 20th feb and I’m currntly doing biopsychology)
Reply 2
Original post by sdfsrgt654
Hi, I have a test and I need to revise biopsychology and issues and debates - what would you say would be an ideal way to revise to get top marks, my own method is that I use my psychology booklet that we use in lesson as it has all the notes in and some prep exam questions though I haven’t attempted all of them just yet, then I try to recall actively with flash cards or on Quizlet and then I attempt a past paper with the topics that will come up or that need to be reviewed, but I still come out with a B/C and I want to get to an A? ( also my test in on the 20th feb and I’m currntly doing biopsychology)

Hi,

I was attaining As during year 12 when most of my revision consisted of flashcards, and using said psychology booklet that I had been given for each topic - so, as to say, that this isn't a bad revision method. What I found really elevated my knowledge and helped me attain higher marks was the blurting method. This changed the way I revised and I found it particularly worked well for psychology.

Are you doing AQA? If you're using the AQA textbook where is it formatted with AO1 and AO2 on the left-hand side, and AO3 on the right-hand side then I would definitely give this method a go! It does take some getting used to, but is unbelievably worth it. You will need a whiteboard and a whiteboard pen - get an a4-sized whiteboard, as any smaller and you won't get enough information, and any bigger and you'll be putting too much information on there. I would take a double-page spread, so, for instance the MSM, and write MSM in the middle (so whatever the spread is titled) and then write the information I needed to know around it: treat it like a mind map. Use diagrams, whatever works for you. Do this for AO1 and for AO3. Take a picture, put it in a folder on your phone. Rub it out. Do it again from memory. Look at the photo you previously took. Fill in any gaps with a different coloured pen, read it aloud to yourself and explain it. This is such an underrated method. I did this for every topic that I covered at A-Level. It is time-consuming, but if knowledge is what you feel you want to improve, then definitely try this - naturally, it will also help with making links across topics and evaluation, as well as help with essay structure.

EDIT: Biopsychology, in specific, is very knowledge-based so I would focus on learning all the key terms. Issues and debates is a more difficult topic, and tends to pave the way for an argumentative essay. It would be best, to obtain higher marks, to choose a few examples that you're going to learn off by heart for each side of each debate, that you can use in an essay. Don't limit it to this, also learn WHY the use of a particular debate in that topic strengthens it, or may limit it.

Sorry, this is very long. It sounds like your knowledge is quite good as you seem to be doing quite a lot to solidify it, although I would suggest trying the above method. Doing the exam questions is good, that's what I did, and it certainly helped me get familiar with exam phrasing and command words! Maybe the issue is with your technique? The lesson I learnt at A-level is that you can have all the knowledge, but being able to apply that knowledge and USE it effectively is what really gets you the marks, especially in the long-mark questions in Psychology. If you're happy to send me some essays you've written, I can give you some advice on what you could do to improve?
(edited 3 months ago)

Hi,

I was attaining As during year 12 when most of my revision consisted of flashcards, and using said psychology booklet that I had been given for each topic - so, as to say, that this isn't a bad revision method. What I found really elevated my knowledge and helped me attain higher marks was the blurting method. This changed the way I revised and I found it particularly worked well for psychology.

Are you doing AQA? If you're using the AQA textbook where is it formatted with AO1 and AO2 on the left-hand side, and AO3 on the right-hand side then I would definitely give this method a go! It does take some getting used to, but is unbelievably worth it. You will need a whiteboard and a whiteboard pen - get an a4-sized whiteboard, as any smaller and you won't get enough information, and any bigger and you'll be putting too much information on there. I would take a double-page spread, so, for instance the MSM, and write MSM in the middle (so whatever the spread is titled) and then write the information I needed to know around it: treat it like a mind map. Use diagrams, whatever works for you. Do this for AO1 and for AO3. Take a picture, put it in a folder on your phone. Rub it out. Do it again from memory. Look at the photo you previously took. Fill in any gaps with a different coloured pen, read it aloud to yourself and explain it. This is such an underrated method. I did this for every topic that I covered at A-Level. It is time-consuming, but if knowledge is what you feel you want to improve, then definitely try this - naturally, it will also help with making links across topics and evaluation, as well as help with essay structure.

EDIT: Biopsychology, in specific, is very knowledge-based so I would focus on learning all the key terms. Issues and debates is a more difficult topic, and tends to pave the way for an argumentative essay. It would be best, to obtain higher marks, to choose a few examples that you're going to learn off by heart for each side of each debate, that you can use in an essay. Don't limit it to this, also learn WHY the use of a particular debate in that topic strengthens it, or may limit it.

Sorry, this is very long. It sounds like your knowledge is quite good as you seem to be doing quite a lot to solidify it, although I would suggest trying the above method. Doing the exam questions is good, that's what I did, and it certainly helped me get familiar with exam phrasing and command words! Maybe the issue is with your technique? The lesson I learnt at A-level is that you can have all the knowledge, but being able to apply that knowledge and USE it effectively is what really gets you the marks, especially in the long-mark questions in Psychology. If you're happy to send me some essays you've written, I can give you some advice on what you could do to improve?

thank you for taking the time to reply, I will try to send you essay to check through, thank you so much :smile:
Hi :smile: I sat AQA A-Level Psychology last year (2023) and achieved an A*, with 257/288 overall, and 93/97 on Paper 3. I mention these results as I am thinking of offering tutoring to those who might be interested in it, in the run-up to exams, as well as selling bundles of A* essays that I have written for topics in Paper 1, Paper 2 and Paper 3 with annotations of what makes that specific essay of A* quality, so that you are able to employ the same technique to make your essays A* quality! I can also look over essays if anyone would find that more useful and provide advice on how to improve. If anyone is interested, please send me a message :smile: This is not limited to year 13, and I am more than happy to provide the same services to someone in year 12 in preparation for mock exams.
can u make any predictions of what 16 markers might come up in paper 1 for 2024
hey i am doing 2023 paper 1 for my mock could you please tell some of the questions
Original post by ksssmariiiam
hey i am doing 2023 paper 1 for my mock could you please tell some of the questions

Hi, I cannot remember the questions off the top of my head. Although, I am sure that the questions are listed elsewhere for you to find (sorry I can'y offer more help!). My best recommendation when sitting mocks is to not become aware of the questions beforehand - it's best to use the mocks to your advantage in simulating the exact exam conditions you will experience in the summer. In my opinion, that's the best way to identify any issues with technique or knowledge, as well as give you the best prediction of how you may perform. Good luck with the mocks :smile:
Original post by Joemama156
can u make any predictions of what 16 markers might come up in paper 1 for 2024

Hey. I remember making a document where I predicted essay questions for 2023, where I did get multiple correct. This may still be relevant for 2024. I will try and find this document, and when I do I will attach it within this thread.

If you'd prefer to make your own predictions, the way I successfully predicted questions was by using the guideline that every topic should come up within a 4-year rotation since the new curriculum. Then, I made a table with all the topics in Paper 1, and recorded the frequency each topic came up, and also the value of the question (how many marks). Topics that weren't typically high-value in terms of marks, or didn't come up indicated that they could potentially be higher-mark questions in that exam year. From then, I came up with 16-mark questions for each of these topics and planned everything blind. Even if they don't come up as the essay question, or an 8, or 6, marker, it was good practice for essay technique and AO3 tends to be transferrable. I then researched what others were predicting and cross-referenced it with what I had predicted.

You should then have a select few potential essay questions for each topic. My advice would be to then write the essay out in full, in timed conditions, using your plan. Get your teacher to mark it. If it needs improvement to reach the mark you're aiming for, rewrite it until you're happy. Use this as a template. That way, if you are right then you can feel comforted in the exam that you've written the essay out before to a standard that you're happy with.

In terms of research methods, I would definitely ensure you have a coherent understanding of the strengths and limitations of research that you need to know in Paper 1. Also, of the methods of science. And do try to work through a few long-mark research method questions. And do learn inferential statistics!! Make sure that you can sketch the table for inferential statistics from memory. They tend to always come up, whether it be in Paper 1, 2 or 3. These marks can make such a difference if you can name the test and all the reasons why.

Predictions are not always accurate, so I wouldn't recommend relying on them. They're great if the topic does come up, but if it doesn't then it's not a very good feeling. Just make sure you revise everything, write out a few essays you've predicted but try and have thorough plans for most topics as this is good for revision too.
Reply 8
Hey. I remember making a document where I predicted essay questions for 2023, where I did get multiple correct. This may still be relevant for 2024. I will try and find this document, and when I do I will attach it within this thread.
If you'd prefer to make your own predictions, the way I successfully predicted questions was by using the guideline that every topic should come up within a 4-year rotation since the new curriculum. Then, I made a table with all the topics in Paper 1, and recorded the frequency each topic came up, and also the value of the question (how many marks). Topics that weren't typically high-value in terms of marks, or didn't come up indicated that they could potentially be higher-mark questions in that exam year. From then, I came up with 16-mark questions for each of these topics and planned everything blind. Even if they don't come up as the essay question, or an 8, or 6, marker, it was good practice for essay technique and AO3 tends to be transferrable. I then researched what others were predicting and cross-referenced it with what I had predicted.
You should then have a select few potential essay questions for each topic. My advice would be to then write the essay out in full, in timed conditions, using your plan. Get your teacher to mark it. If it needs improvement to reach the mark you're aiming for, rewrite it until you're happy. Use this as a template. That way, if you are right then you can feel comforted in the exam that you've written the essay out before to a standard that you're happy with.
In terms of research methods, I would definitely ensure you have a coherent understanding of the strengths and limitations of research that you need to know in Paper 1. Also, of the methods of science. And do try to work through a few long-mark research method questions. And do learn inferential statistics!! Make sure that you can sketch the table for inferential statistics from memory. They tend to always come up, whether it be in Paper 1, 2 or 3. These marks can make such a difference if you can name the test and all the reasons why.
Predictions are not always accurate, so I wouldn't recommend relying on them. They're great if the topic does come up, but if it doesn't then it's not a very good feeling. Just make sure you revise everything, write out a few essays you've predicted but try and have thorough plans for most topics as this is good for revision too.

Hey, any luck?

Did u manage to find it?????
hi does anyone have notes for social influence topic

Interested - you have an email?
Original post by mai32op
Hey, any luck?

Hi, sorry no I can’t find it!! I think it must have been linked to my school email through Word, so is inaccessible now as I lost access to my email 😔
Hi, I'm very confused about when you would need to rank data and use degrees of freedom? Can anyone explain when these would be used? I understand sign test is the only one we actually have to know how to calculate
Original post by independentheart
Hi, I'm very confused about when you would need to rank data and use degrees of freedom? Can anyone explain when these would be used? I understand sign test is the only one we actually have to know how to calculate

doesn't chi-squared and of the correlation (pearson's rho) use degrees of freedom? you need them to work out the calculated value i believe
Original post by Joemama156
Did u manage to find it?????

Hi, unfortunately I didn't. I'm sorry :frown:
Hi, unfortunately I didn't. I'm sorry :frown:

Hey can you check your PM
Hi,
how did you manage to memorise all the AO3 points? I am struggling to write them out or finish my 16 markers during the exam, there are so many researchers and research that could be used for AO3's that I just end up forgetting all the names.
Original post by Husssssss
Hey can you check your PM

Hey I have a document of predicted 2024 qus (8 and 16 markers) if u want me to send it?
I have my 2023 scripts as I sat aqa psych last year & asked for a copy - if that would be of any help for more unseen practise qus. Also if you type into google the psych topic u want qus on, followed by “Sutton academy”, then complied documents of all past qus come up and I found it rly useful that the qus and ms were all in one place by topic. These are ExamPro qus which usually require a paid subscription so it works well!

Another thing is if anyone wants tutor2u aqa exemplar essays I believe they are linked under a tsr thread if u type in “aqa psychology essays”- the thread is from 3 years ago but the essay bundles are crazy expensive like 35 quid per topic so it’s def worth checking out if you’re struggling to structure essays !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending