The Student Room Group

Fuel Shortage?

Scroll to see replies

Try living in Dorset, where most of the pictures of hge queues on the daily fail/telegraph/bbc etc are coming from. The places that haven't been shut by police because of the crazy tailbacks haev run out of fuel. My boyf literally can't move until I can get to a petrol station to get him a can to get started :nn:
The government have recently dropped the income tax on high earners by 5p.

High earners would be most notably recognized for powerful & high class cars but also known for their high consumption of public transport paid for by companies. There are more people under the £20,000 income bracket who use their cars to get to jobs they otherwise couldn't get too and are causing a widespread shortage.

The government looks to have bought more fuel with the profit from income tax on high earners and given they don't immediately have this money readily available to them they have borrowed from the Bank of England to purchase this in the short run at high interest rates.

They've then called a nationwide epidemic of fuel shortage with increased prices to pay off the interest rates and after this little excessive boom import costs will drop which is when they will buy the new oil.

In reality they've borrowed of the rich, secured their investments with the bank of England and profited of the poor.
Reply 22
Original post by DenmansDinner

In reality they've borrowed of the rich, secured their investments with the bank of England and profited of the poor.

Welcome to Britain, and what the hell are you going to do about it?
That reminds me I need petrol and I never put it in today. My light is on and I need to get to work!
Reply 24
theres a rather interesting video on the bbc website at the moment of a que for a petrol station in london, i think, the que goes all the way out of the petrol station and way up the main road compounded by a que of simlar length going out the other end of the place... people are over reacting way to much over this ... there hasnt even been a strike yet!
The quote from Men in Black sums up this whole panic buying fuel fiasco perfectly.

"Persons are smart. Peoples are dumb." - It was something along those lines anyway. As an individual you're intelligent, but together we're nothing more than imbeciles with baseball bats.
So, how goes the country? :lol:
Reply 27
Original post by Converse Rocker
Can't believe the Government essentially advised panic buying and stashing fuel in jerry cans, which is both dangerous AND illegal.

This whole fiasco is the media's fault, not the governments.

I listened to the entire radio feature and it is pretty obvious to me that the radio interviewer set a trap for Mr Maude. The interviewer kept pressing Maude asking if there are any precautions people should take, if they should stock up and so on.

Eventually Maude basically said, "Well if you are really want then you can go and fill up a few jerrycans". Immediately this was blown out of all proportion by the news.

Its a case of media hysteria in my view.
Reply 28
Original post by Converse Rocker
They did advise people to go fill up their cars though, or store petrol in jerry cans. This was a massive mistake, it's both dangerous and illegal.

Why is it dangerous?

Its a sealed metal contained used by millions of people throughout the last 60 years for safely transporting petrol and diesel. Its still used by the military, so cant be all that dangerous.

I've used jerry cans for years, I kept 2 in the back of my car (full) for ages when I was abroad and used them when I was running low on fuel and nowhere near a petrol station. I've not died yet.

Dont assume that illegal = dangerous, and if you're going to claim its dangerous then at least back it up with some evidence or statistics.
You crash you are more likely to go boom with two full jerry cans, I can definitely see why it's dangerous to carry them around.
Reply 30
Original post by flugelr
This whole fiasco is the media's fault, not the governments.

The media is to blame, but so is Cameron. He said the most moronic thing, any politician with half a brain would know saying that would cause massive queues.

No surprise he's clinging onto his job for as long as possible by going the maximum time before a mandatory general election.

Anyone living more than a couple of decades should know by now that the 'news' media is pointless and it exists only to try and exist longer anyway.
Original post by flugelr
Its a case of media hysteria in my view.

I agree the media is really milking it; as I said, no strike has even been declared and they have to give 7 days notice. He still should have had more sense than to say 'go out and buy petrol', but I accept he probably let slip for a second. Still, many people will hear that and race to the pumps when it's not necessary, especially when the media blow it out of proportion.

Original post by Riderz
Why is it dangerous?

Its a sealed metal contained used by millions of people throughout the last 60 years for safely transporting petrol and diesel. Its still used by the military, so cant be all that dangerous.

I've used jerry cans for years, I kept 2 in the back of my car (full) for ages when I was abroad and used them when I was running low on fuel and nowhere near a petrol station. I've not died yet.

Dont assume that illegal = dangerous, and if you're going to claim its dangerous then at least back it up with some evidence or statistics.

Stacking petrol in a wooden shed when the weather has been so hot is slightly dangerous if not done safely. Unfortunately not everyone has the common sense to store it properly and safely.

I was told by my law teacher it's illegal to stock more than 10 litres of fuel, so that's where that claim came from. I know people don't tend to stash 10 litres for themselves but with all the media hysteria around this, it wouldn't surprise me. Particularly on the brink of the holiday as well.

My point basically is that telling people to go out and buy petrol wasn't a good idea, because this really isn't the crisis people make it out to be. Stations ran out of petrol because of people buying it all, nobody is on strike yet. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Riderz
Why is it dangerous?

Because it's metal, it can carry an electric charge. If there is an electrical potential difference between said metal can and car when filling, this can cause a spark, that's my understanding anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending