The Student Room Group

Jobs in Europe

Hello, I am looking to teach in Europe, specifically primary school. However, I have been seeing other threads talking about the shortage of jobs in this field. Does anyone have any information in regard to this, such as what subjects/grade levels need more teachers, what countries do not have this issue, or even the salary? On another note, what certifications are needed to teach in Europe? Is it similar across Europe, or does it vary from country to country?
Reply 1
I would say the opposite is true. I have taught in Europe for 15 years and if anything there’s a teacher shortage. Where exactly are you considering? In that way, our advice can be more targeted to your aspirations. Salaries for teachers also vary widely across Europe so it really depends what you want to prioritise. Some countries are very strict regarding certification (e.g. the Netherlands) but on the whole they want you to have QTS and your NQT/ECT period completed. What experience and qualifications do you have? What do you want to teach? And perhaps more importantly in this post-Brexit world, do you have an EU passport? (It doesn’t make it impossible to teach in Europe if you don’t, but life is certainly easier if you do. FWIW, I am a dual national holding both a British passport and an EU one.)
Reply 2
Sorry, just noticed you said primary. In terms of certifications you might also want to look into PYP and/or IPC training.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending