The Student Room Group

Finding Your Place: How to Get Involved in Student Life

Hi everyone!:wink:

This post is aimed at students who feel a bit lost when it comes to engaging into different events and opportunities available on campus.
Please, share your own tips on how to make most of your student life! Together, we can help people who struggle on their first year in university :smile:

As a university student, it can be easy to get lost in the hustle of academic life. But it's important to remember that being engaged in campus life can have a huge impact on your overall university experience.

One way to stay engaged is to get involved in student societies. These groups offer a wide range of opportunities to meet new people, explore new interests, and develop new skills. Whether you're interested in sport, music, politics, or something else entirely, there's a student society out there for you.

Volunteering is another great way to stay engaged and make a difference. Not only does it allow you to give back to the community, but it also helps you develop valuable skills and gain experience that can be useful in your future career.

Travelling is another fantastic way to stay engaged in student life. Whether it's studying abroad or simply taking a weekend trip with friends, travel allows you to broaden your horizons, experience new cultures, and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Of course, it's also important to remember the academic side of things. But don't think of engagement and academic success as mutually exclusive. In fact, staying engaged in campus life can actually help improve your academic performance. By developing social connections and taking advantage of the many opportunities available on campus, you'll be better equipped to tackle your coursework and succeed in your studies.

So, get out there and get engaged! Whether it's joining a student society, volunteering, travelling, or simply attending campus events, there's no shortage of ways to make the most of your university experience.

I hope this information may be useful :smile:
Good luck!

- Ilya :colondollar:
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi everyone!:wink:

This post is aimed at students who feel a bit lost when it comes to engaging into different events and opportunities available on campus.
Please, share your own tips on how to make most of your student life! Together, we can help people who struggle on their first year in university :smile:

As a university student, it can be easy to get lost in the hustle of academic life. But it's important to remember that being engaged in campus life can have a huge impact on your overall university experience.

One way to stay engaged is to get involved in student societies. These groups offer a wide range of opportunities to meet new people, explore new interests, and develop new skills. Whether you're interested in sport, music, politics, or something else entirely, there's a student society out there for you.

Volunteering is another great way to stay engaged and make a difference. Not only does it allow you to give back to the community, but it also helps you develop valuable skills and gain experience that can be useful in your future career.

Travelling is another fantastic way to stay engaged in student life. Whether it's studying abroad or simply taking a weekend trip with friends, travel allows you to broaden your horizons, experience new cultures, and make memories that will last a lifetime.

Of course, it's also important to remember the academic side of things. But don't think of engagement and academic success as mutually exclusive. In fact, staying engaged in campus life can actually help improve your academic performance. By developing social connections and taking advantage of the many opportunities available on campus, you'll be better equipped to tackle your coursework and succeed in your studies.

So, get out there and get engaged! Whether it's joining a student society, volunteering, travelling, or simply attending campus events, there's no shortage of ways to make the most of your university experience.

I hope this information may be useful :smile:
Good luck!

- Ilya :colondollar:

Hi there ,
This is some brilliant info!
I saw you have mentioned travelling in your ideas. Due to the cost of living crisis I wondered what ideas you might have for students who want to still travel but affordably?
Best wishes,

Emily <3
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hi there ,
This is some brilliant info!
I saw you have mentioned travelling in your ideas. Due to the cost of living crisis I wondered what ideas you might have for students who want to still travel but affordably?
Best wishes,

Emily <3

Hi there Emily @Manchester Met - Student Rep! Definitely finances are a factor and even more so with the cost of living crisis, well put, and this is something I felt as a student last year massively.:redface:

Travelling can be local! In Leicester there are parks and activities, as with most cities and definitely Manchester too, a walk, cycle (with the Great Central route in Leicester), or bus ride away. Taking advantage of public transport networks, carpooling, or sharing the cost of a taxi, or fuel between a group is mutually beneficial and spreads the cost and can make travelling more affordable. As well as this, student or concessionary discounts on days out or transport options - a railcard was a massive help to me when I commuted via train :train2: to uni - are also out there and sometimes looking for alternative routes with more stops can work out cheaper and give you the chance to see another place en-route.

For trips further afield, definitely shopping around for the best deal is a biggie! Even changing the airport, splitting a taxi there or seeing if you could get a lift, or looking at alternatives (such as the Ferry networks to Amsterdam or Ireland which are sometimes a lot cheaper though longer - but great if like me you enjoy the sea:scuba:) is the best place to start.

My best advice is that sometimes the best days out can be local and they're usually the least financially impacting so you have the freedom to relax and enjoy the experience more. I hope this helps any students thinking about a quick Easter getaway or thinking about where to soak up some sunshine!
Feel free to let us know what some of your tips or suggestions - or hidden gem finds - are below all!:u:

All the best,

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello! My name is Aimee and I am a third year criminology and criminal behaviour student :smile: Nice to meet you!!

Making use of societies and the many different events such as freshers will allow you to meet new people and friends throughout university. This is also a time for you to have fun and not for university to just be about studying. Keep up to date with socials about the different events so you know what you can attend.

Many different societies are available for you to get involved in which will allow you to feel within a community. These are people who share the same interests as you!

Have fun at university and enjoy your degree.
Aimee xox
Original post by Bradford Rep 3
Hello! My name is Aimee and I am a third year criminology and criminal behaviour student :smile: Nice to meet you!!

Making use of societies and the many different events such as freshers will allow you to meet new people and friends throughout university. This is also a time for you to have fun and not for university to just be about studying. Keep up to date with socials about the different events so you know what you can attend.

Many different societies are available for you to get involved in which will allow you to feel within a community. These are people who share the same interests as you!

Have fun at university and enjoy your degree.
Aimee xox

Hi Aimee,

What is your opinion on the amount of student societies people should join during their first year? :smile:
Some people tend to join as many as they can, others think that it is better to join only few of them.
What was your experience and what advice can you give?

Thanks in advance,
- Ilya:redface:
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi Aimee,

What is your opinion on the amount of student societies people should join during their first year? :smile:
Some people tend to join as many as they can, others think that it is better to join only few of them.
What was your experience and what advice can you give?

Thanks in advance,
- Ilya:redface:

Hello Ilya, lovely to meet you! :smile:

I would advise to attend your freshers fair as at my university many societies are looking for new people to join. Take a look at what’s on offer and if theirs anything which you would like to try which you haven’t done before.

In my first year, I tried many different societies which enabled me to try new things and meet new people. However, because of the pandemic and moving away from the city centre I no longer attended societies.

I think it depends on yourself, it’s about what you want to do😊 It is great to join societies but you have to consider your university work too and if you’re involved in too much (I think you may understand what I mean!)

It’s all about you! If you feel comfortable then go for it. :smile:
Best of Luck, Aimee xox

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending