The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 May 18th 2012 PRE/POST DISCUSSION!

Scroll to see replies

probably lost around 3 marks overall

for the inequality, i got 4<x<=7 instead of 4<x<7

also, probably lost 2 marks on the curve sketching, got the 2 branches right but the one on the left wrong

so 69/72 probably, considering last time I did FP1 i got 71 ums i guess i did a bit better =p
Original post by MrNeilPatel
I've got S1 next week, then S2 and M1, two weeks after and then on the 21st of June is C3 :smile:

Good Luck with your exams man :biggrin:

I know Neil, im in your class!
what do u generally have to get for 100 ums in this paper guys?
Reply 103
Original post by sreddy17

Full marks (72/72)
Original post by sreddy17

I THINK you can generally lose 2-3 marks? considering I think 59 is usually an A, 80 UMS, i think around 2-3 marks seems accurate. Having said that, it also depends on the ease of the paper, and I think alot of people found this paper straightforward ( yet I doubt an A will go over 59, maybe upto 63 AT THE MAX)

EDIT actually its probably full marks
Reply 105
what were the asymtotes again?
To all those of you saying the inequality was 4<x<7, I believe you're wrong, unless you're thinking of a different question?

But if you mean 3/(x+4)<1
Remember that you can't multiply by x+4 because it could be negative so some cases would flip the sign and others wouldn't, so you have to multiply by (x+4)^2 instead, then you end up with a nasty quadratic, then it helps to draw the sketch to get the correct region, and I believe the answer should be 4+/-sqrt5 or possibly -4+/-sqrt5 - I couldn't quite decide which one...

Does that sound right to anyone else, and any confirmation on whether it's -4 or +4?

EDIT: Actually yeah, definitely +4+/-sqrt5...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by skibur
what were the asymtotes again?

y=0, x=-2/3, x=4, x=-3
Reply 108
Original post by Deceptively
To all those of you saying the inequality was 4<x<7, I believe you're wrong, unless you're thinking of a different question?

But if you mean 3/(x+4)<1
Remember that you can't multiply by x+4 because it could be negative so some cases would flip the sign and others wouldn't, so you have to multiply by (x+4)^2 instead, then you end up with a nasty quadratic, then it helps to draw the sketch to get the correct region, and I believe the answer should be 4+/-sqrt5 or possibly -4+/-sqrt5 - I couldn't quite decide which one...

Does that sound right to anyone else, and any confirmation on whether it's -4 or +4?

EDIT: Actually yeah, definitely +4+/-sqrt5...

3(x-4)/(x-4)^2<1
3(x-4)<(x-4)^2
3(x-4)-(x-4)^2<0
(x-4)[3-(x-4)]<0
(x-4)(-x+7)<0
-(x-4)(x-7)<0

4<x<7

Your method does not work. If you raise (x-4) to the power of three, there is, again, a chance that you end up with a negative value which would (uncontrollably) flip the sign. You multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by (x-4) forcing the denominator to be of order 2 (quadratic) and consequently positive for all real values of x; therefore, you can multiply across the inequality knowing that the inequality holds true for all real values of x.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Jam'
3(x-4)/(x-4)^2<1
3(x-4)<(x-4)^2
3(x-4)-(x-4)^2<0
(x-4)[3-(x-4)]<0
(x-4)(-x+7)<0
-(x-4)(x-7)<0

4<x<7

Oh my goodness you are absolutely right... genuinely feeling like the stupidest person in the world right now... Now there goes a stupid waste of marks. And public humilitation for the win. :colondollar: Apologies to everyone who actually managed to not make the same stupid mistake as me and my friend...
Reply 110
Original post by Deceptively
Oh my goodness you are absolutely right... genuinely feeling like the stupidest person in the world right now... Now there goes a stupid waste of marks. And public humilitation for the win. :colondollar: Apologies to everyone who actually managed to not make the same stupid mistake as me and my friend...

I think I know what you did, as I got the same answer as you when I first did it...

3/(x-4) >1
3 > (x-4)^2 i.e forgot to give the numerator another (x-4)?
Reply 111
Screen shot 2012-05-19 at 08.06.15.png
i got the graph completely wrong, i drew in the right asymptotes and where it cuts the axis but the curves were wrong, how many marks did i lose?

i read on past papers for a similar question of 4 branches worth 4 marks, 1 mark for asymptotes, 1 mark for cut axis points and 2 marks for correct branches

does the same apply to this q?
Original post by sgdsuy
You have to divide it by 2 because in the first part of the question it showed you what 2/(2r+1)(2r+3) was equal to in terms of partial fractions. But in the next part of the question, where you had to do the actual summation of the series, it asked you for the sum of 1/(2r+3)(2r+1) from r=1 to 30. Therefore, you have to divide the answer to the first part of the question by 2.

Okay thank you. That's really annoyed me as i thought i was getting 100%! Don't usually make silly mistakes like that :frown:
Reply 114
Original post by TimetoSucceed
i got the graph completely wrong, i drew in the right asymptotes and where it cuts the axis but the curves were wrong, how many marks did i lose?

i read on past papers for a similar question of 4 branches worth 4 marks, 1 mark for asymptotes, 1 mark for cut axis points and 2 marks for correct branches

does the same apply to this q?

You would have usually only dropped one, but this one had more branches than usual and was worth more marks, I would say probably one; two max.
Original post by Toothbrush
I know Neil, im in your class!

I was wondering about the C5 thing aswell :P
i was stressing so hard on question 3 so i saved it until the end, i got it wrong because i wrote a-7 and 6a/6 - 42a/6

then i realised what i did wrong, and got a sheet of paper and got the right answer.

It was very messy and i'm not sure i crossed out all the wrong working out as it was literally last minute, but i got the right values of a,p and q.

Will i lose marks for messiness and potentially not crossing out ALL the wrong working out?
Reply 117
Anyone got the paper or list of questions? I'll do a mark scheme if so.
Reply 118
Anyone have any idea when we'll be able to get hold of the mark scheme and/or the questions?
Reply 119
Does anyone know where the marks would come from for the inverse of the 3x3 matrix A? I'm a bit worried as it was 5 marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending