The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Modern Texts Of Mice And Men

Hi,

I got this exam on Tuesday, and I've looked at January 2012's paper and the section B (Of Mice And Men), part b question:

In the rest of the novel, how does Steinbeck present the lives of ranch workers at that time?

How would you answer that? I know it's about context but would you have to go through the whole book searching for quotations, or do you have to use evidence from the extract?

I'm already struggling on timing already so if anyone's got any tips...
Reply 1
You can use quotes/ideas from the extract given, although you need to mention all aspects of the novel 'in the rest of the novel', it is best if you have an idea of some key quotations, however realistically, you are likely to search for some in the book, just be aware where about certain ideas are; e.g. the american dream in chapter 1, or loneliness in chapter 4, ideas about women in chapter 2.
For me the major part is planning, so you don't run out of points, and can include all the ones you want to.
For the lives of ranch workers mention; loneliness, the american dream(its futility), the physical and emotional hardship, attitudes to women etc. Discuss the reaction to Lennie's and George's relation, how it shows its rarity and then the significance about its end, talk about why the workers indulge in the American dream.
Hope that helps, I'm taking this exam too.
Reply 2
Original post by zaeven
You can use quotes/ideas from the extract given, although you need to mention all aspects of the novel 'in the rest of the novel', it is best if you have an idea of some key quotations, however realistically, you are likely to search for some in the book, just be aware where about certain ideas are; e.g. the american dream in chapter 1, or loneliness in chapter 4, ideas about women in chapter 2.
For me the major part is planning, so you don't run out of points, and can include all the ones you want to.
For the lives of ranch workers mention; loneliness, the american dream(its futility), the physical and emotional hardship, attitudes to women etc. Discuss the reaction to Lennie's and George's relation, how it shows its rarity and then the significance about its end, talk about why the workers indulge in the American dream.
Hope that helps, I'm taking this exam too.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I guess I'm just going to have to get as familiar with the book as possible. I'm having serious time issues already so that's my main worry.
Reply 3
Original post by cazmasetro
Thanks for the help.

Yeah I guess I'm just going to have to get as familiar with the book as possible. I'm having serious time issues already so that's my main worry.

To be fair, OFAM is an absolutely tiny book. Sparknotes is your friend if you're anything like me, though :smile:
Reply 4
Hello. My teacher said that we should answer both parts a and b in one essay. Has anyone else been given this advice? Also do you have any tips for how to get the highest levels in general?
Reply 5
Original post by MisterAddy
Hello. My teacher said that we should answer both parts a and b in one essay. Has anyone else been given this advice? Also do you have any tips for how to get the highest levels in general?

I was told this too, she said link the two together to get the highest marks.. but it depends on the question really, not sure if I will be able to under pressure
make sure you don't just list points, you need good language analogy
also try and squeeze all of the themes in whatever question you get: loneliness, determinism, companionship, weakness, the american dream.....
good luck!
Reply 6
Hi,

I got this exam on Tuesday, and I've looked at January 2012's paper and the section B (Of Mice And Men), part b question:

In the rest of the novel, how does Steinbeck present the lives of ranch workers at that time?

How would you answer that? I know it's about context but would you have to go through the whole book searching for quotations, or do you have to use evidence from the extract?

We were taught to answer it in 3 paragraphs linking part a and part b together. Before we write, we clearly state we're answering "A AND B" together.

We firstly pick out 3 quotes from the text. We write about them "blah blah blah" Then we write "Looking at the novel as a whole we learn that blah blah blah, this shows life at the time was harsh.........."

You pick another quote out, write about it, link it to the whole novel (which is part b) then write about what happened in the time (ie, people had dreams/they were lonely)

Good luck to anyone doing the exam!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
try to spend 20 minutes on the first question, and then about 25 on the second as it is slightly longer- thats what I tend to do. hope that helps- I've got it this tuesday too.

also does anyone have any guesses about what may come up?! I'm hoping cureless wife
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ra Ra
To be fair, OFAM is an absolutely tiny book. Sparknotes is your friend if you're anything like me, though :smile:

That is the one thing I am glad about. I'm also glad that I am doing Sunlight on the Grass, as I think the questions are more flexible. But I don't like having to write two separate answers. That doesn't help my timing whatsoever.
Reply 9
Original post by MisterAddy

Original post by Didierr
I was told this too, she said link the two together to get the highest marks.. but it depends on the question really, not sure if I will be able to under pressure
make sure you don't just list points, you need good language analogy
also try and squeeze all of the themes in whatever question you get: loneliness, determinism, companionship, weakness, the american dream.....
good luck!

I was also told to merge A and B, but I think it would be harder to do it with this as the questions seem more distinct as opposed to previous years. I would still merge them as you'd get a whole 45 minutes, and wouldn't have to write another intro and conclusion, AND wouldn't make you repeat yourself over and over.
Reply 10
Hi,

hey, i got the exam tommorrow aswell, are you able to send me the jan 2012 past paper. please please. i would really appreciate it if you do
thank you
i got told to do part a + b on omam. you can get no higher that a b if only one of them is done. you should aim to do a in 20 mins and b in 20mins too.

has anyone else used SILFIA AND FLIIS?
Reply 12
In the mark scheme it states to gain a band 4 or higher an equal amount of time must be spent on both question A and B. If you integrate them into one, they don't know if you have spent an equal time on both.
Reply 13
How did you find the exam? I've got my mock on Monday. I don't want to know the question as it'll be the same but was it hard? How did you manage the time? My teacher isn't sure about merging a and b together though. What grade did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending