The Student Room Group

Mr K's OCR (not OCR MEI) S1 answers May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
does anyone remember what question 8 was about? thanks
Reply 61
Original post by Jack976
For 14 numbers the LQ is (14+1)/4 . . which is the 3.75th value, not the 4th :smile: Sometimes the mark schemes allow for using the 4th, sometimes not

No, if it is an even set of values, you divide them into two groups (1-7), (8-14).
Then, you find the median of the lower group, which is the 4th number, 23
Reply 63
based on experience... estimations for raw mark for 90 ums?
Original post by ILovePi
No, if it is an even set of values, you divide them into two groups (1-7), (8-14).
Then, you find the median of the lower group, which is the 4th number, 23

This will definitely be OK too as it is the method suggested in the endorsed textbook (which does point out "To find the position of the quartiles for small data sets there are several possible methods that you might see.")

The =QUARTILE keyword in Excel gives the LQ as 23.5 and the UQ as one of three options: 38, 38.75 or 39!
Reply 65
Original post by Mr M
Mr K's OCR (not OCR MEI) S1 answers May 2012

1. (i) r = -0.709 (4 marks)

(ii) y = -0.0185x + 8.5742

Estimate £3394 (4 marks)

(iii) Correlation does not imply causation (1 mark)

2. Mean = 1.53 kg

Standard deviation = 14.7 g (6 marks)

3. (i) 22.5 (1 mark)

(ii) w = 0 and x = 0 (2 marks)

(iii) 40 or 40.75 (2 marks)

(iv) Gives a visual display of distribution OR original data preserved (1 mark)

(v) Shows spread/IQR/median more clearly (1 mark)

4. (i) Top pair of branches Red 4/5 and Black 1/5

Bottom pair of branches Red 1 and Black 0 (2 marks)

(ii) 1/3 (3 marks)

(iii) 4/5 (2 marks)

5. (i) (a) 1 (1 mark)

(b) -1 (1 mark)

(ii) 0 (3 marks)

(iii) Completely agreed, Completely disagreed, No agreement (3 marks)

6. Profit = £110 (5 marks)

7. (i) (a) 2520 (2 marks)

(b) 720 (3 marks)

(ii) (a) 21 (1 mark)

(b) 10/11 (3 marks)

8. (i) 0.825 (2 marks)

(ii) (a) 0.265 (2 marks)

(b) 0.168 (6 marks)

9. (i) (a) 0.0590 (3 marks)

(b) 0.410 (3 marks)

(ii) (a) 0.0951 (2 marks)

(b) 0.513 (3 marks)

These answers were produced by my colleague Mr K and not by me so there is probably little point asking me about them. Hope you find them useful though!

I had an panic attack in this exam so i couldnt do question 8 and 9.
Original post by Mr M
Not even sure what you are doing there.

6P4 x 2 surely?

I was just looking at the two situations. Say you have one vowel, then the vowel has to be at the end, so can only go in one space (the end), and the other 4 letters can go anywhere, so 4!*1 =4!. And then when you have two vowels, either of the two vowels can be at the end, so 2*4!.

Why is it 6P4?
Reply 67
How do you do 8(b) because I've forgotten what my answer was and want to see if I've worked it out right.
Reply 68
Original post by MathsD
I taught this module, and did this paper myself today. I haven't got my answers with me, but they look correct with the exception of this one (q3) - I think the students querying this are correct. For a list of 14 numbers the median is the mean of the 7th and 8th, the LQ is the 4th (so 23 is the correct answer for (i) ) and the UQ is the 11th number. (The 'median' of the 7 above the median). That is the number marked as 3|z which can only represent 38 or 39. The gap to 46 is irrelevant.

By the way, thanks for your efforts Mr M, I know many of my students appreciate it.

That's what I was thinking. How can people get a 40 something value, if it is in the 30| row. Glad a teacher agrees with me! :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by MedicalMayhem
I was just looking at the two situations. Say you have one vowel, then the vowel has to be at the end, so can only go in one space (the end), and the other 4 letters can go anywhere, so 4!*1 =4!. And then when you have two vowels, either of the two vowels can be at the end, so 2*4!.

Why is it 6P4?

You are forgetting the other letters. You start with 7 letters and 5 places. The A must be at the end so you put it there, you then have 4 other places which 6 letters can fill hence 6P4 (permutations as asked about arrangements). You then do the same for te other vowel E.

Resulting in 6P4 * 2

Was only worth 2 marks I think, good luck.
Original post by MExp
You are forgetting the other letters. You start with 7 letters and 5 places. The A must be at the end so you put it there, you then have 4 other places which 6 letters can fill hence 6P4 (permutations as asked about arrangements). You then do the same for te other vowel E.

Resulting in 6P4 * 2

Was only worth 2 marks I think, good luck.

Ah, it was worth 3 :redface: Would I get 1 for partially doing the method, but not fully doing it? :tongue:
Reply 71
Mr. K/Mr. M, for question 2, I put the mean as 1.5 and put both the formula for the mean and SD. I know I have the wrong answer, but how many marks could I scrape with this, if any?

For the upper quartile one, 'possible values', I put (30+z), any marks again?

THANKS!
Reply 72
Mr K, could please let me know of the working out you carried out to calculate the probability for question 9)ii)a). Thank you.
how do people even manage to remember their answers?! they were mostly decimals I wish i had a good memory :s-smilie:

anyway does anyone know what you need to get for an A*? Is it an average of an A* for your A2 units and an A at As or do you need an average of an A at A2 with 90%+ on each paper? My teacher's confused!
Reply 74
Original post by blueclearsky
how do people even manage to remember their answers?! they were mostly decimals I wish i had a good memory :s-smilie:

anyway does anyone know what you need to get for an A*? Is it an average of an A* for your A2 units and an A at As or do you need an average of an A at A2 with 90%+ on each paper? My teacher's confused!

For an A* in maths, you need an average of 90% UMS over C3 and C4 (eg 90 90, or 80 100) and then an average of an A in C1, C2, S1 and M1 (or whatever modules you're taking!).
Original post by VY Rose
For an A* in maths, you need an average of 90% UMS over C3 and C4 (eg 90 90, or 80 100) and then an average of an A in C1, C2, S1 and M1 (or whatever modules you're taking!).

Thanks for this. I have a friend who wants an A* in maths and had 89 UMS for her C3 and my teacher told her for her to get and A* overall she needs to resit the paper and get at least 90 UMS in it. so now she's revising for something she doesn't need to because she can get above 90 UMS in C4 to average it out :/
Reply 76
Hey Mr M. For the last question, I wasn't too sure how to do it, but (using sum to infinty) I managed to get a fraction 19/20. From there I was pretty sure it was 20/39, and got the 0.513 (I may have left it as a fraction). Would I still get all the marks despite an unorthodox method? Also, I know it says give non exact answeres to 3s.f. But for questions involving the tables, are you supposed to leave it to four?

P.S Thanks to Mr K for posting them :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by VY Rose

Wait, so you only need 90% UMS in two modules?? If I did C1, C2 and S1 in my first year and got an A, and then got 90% UMS in C3 and C4, but only 80% in D1 (which I'd do in my second year), would that be an A*? Don't I need 90% in all second year modules?
Reply 78
Original post by ChrissM
Wait, so you only need 90% UMS in two modules?? If I did C1, C2 and S1 in my first year and got an A, and then got 90% UMS in C3 and C4, but only 80% in D1 (which I'd do in my second year), would that be an A*? Don't I need 90% in all second year modules?

You simply need an average of 90% or above in C3 and C4. No applied modual will affect the A* as it onky depends on C3 & C4.

Although you still have to maintain an overall 80% over the entire A2. Basically you need an A overall, but the C3 and C4 decide if you get an A* :smile:
Reply 79
Can someone tell me what I need for an A at AS level? If I get high percentages on C1 and C2 but low on S1, does the S1 drag the overall grade down by a big margin?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending