The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Conflicting thoughts on Architecture at Kingston

Hi All,

I am due to be studying Architecture starting October or whenever. Just to give a bit of a back story, I was originally due for entry last year after finishing my A levels, but because of a period of depression, a lot of uncertainty and then an unsuccessful halls application; I decided I couldn't manage leaving home and spoke to the University and deferred my place very last minute.

In my gap year I have managed to change myself dramatically. After taking a job up at a local architecture practice I've really gained a passion for the subject and of course a lot of key skills with computers (especially on AutoCAD and 3DS Max) and crucially, the way a practice is run (client meetings, site visits etc.). I can safely say, I love it, and I cannot wait to be able to do it 'properly'. One of my colleagues is currently at Greenwich part time; he's given me a great insight into some of the work. I am much more confident in person and the depression is well and truly out of sights.

I also have a few months of work experience under my belt with a firm in London, they like my work and would love me to return; what I'm trying to get across is that I really enjoy actually working in Architecture but I am hesitant about studying it. I still have quite a few worries, and they seem to have been amplified by reading through some posts on this forum...

I'm quite technical, although my creative side is getting better. I love computer work, its where I flourish and have always had a natural talent at it. I also really enjoy the specification and drafting side of my work. Now reading around most people here have said Kingston's architecture course is very Art based, which is manageable for me, but definitely not my preference, as I'd love a balance between the technical side and creative side throughout... (I never really got an impression of the direction of the course whilst I was there, I just liked the environment)

I love the work of Zaha, Libeksind and Koolhaas and aspire to be like them one day (hopefully...) as many do; but most people have a rather low opinion of Kingston and reading the league tables its graduate employment opportunities are pretty bad...
I'm almost doubting if this course really is for me...?

My last worry is the area, I really don't know much about it at all apart from it being multi-cultural and close to London. Please don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this in the slightest, but I have grown up in a small town and went to a private school, so it is very outside my normal. What are peoples opinions of the town? I like the idea of being close to London as I have a few friends that are studying there at the moment.

Apart from that, I am rather looking forward to it; it's much closer than I currently am to my girlfriend, I will hopefully have a better chance at halls this year being unconditional and not late in the process like last year and I feel really confident about leaving home.

Any helpful opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated, even some people that are studying there at the moment?

Thanks
Reply 1
I don't go to uni at kingston but i live close.

I think in terms of rep kingston uni doesn't look great to academic degree's but does in terms of vocational stuff - its v. good for nursing and midwifery (like top 5 in the country) and pretty decent for architecture. I go to UCL (I'm at the bartlett doing urban design) and personally i think people get way to into the whole uni rep thing. I think employee's care a lot more about work experience, which it sounds like you have a lot of and you getting a decent 2:1+.

Kingston as an area is v. nice. In fact I would say it was posh tbh. Close by is Hounslow (where I live) which is a bit rougher, but kingston esp by the riverside is lovely. It is also close to Richmond which its literally like millionaires town - Katherine Jones lives there. V. nice town (if you can afford it), great restaurants and beautiful riverside. The nightlife in kingston is good and reasonably cheap for close to london and the shops/restaurants are good. There is a nice cinema and good cultural events. Its one of the best town centres in the UK plus its 30mins by train to central with endless culture, clubs and opportunity. I would defo recommend it.

Also the halls are lushhhh, so close to the town and a lot of them are brand new. There is a good student community.

You should have a look around but I think you should go for it.

Like I said i dont go to the uni so I can't really comment specifically on that but if you have any doubts about the area I would say they are unjustified - its v. safe and enjoyable place to live. Also I wouldn't worry too much about the uni's rep in general - more for specifically how the uni is for your course and whether the course fits your requirements.

Any more questions about the area and Ill be happy to help.
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending