The Student Room Group

Looking for a university short course this summer?

Whether you're an A-Level student debating if university is right for them or a full-time worker looking to take your hobby one step further, short courses can be great for anyone interested in university-level teaching without the usual time constraints. Typically ranging anywhere between a few days to two weeks, short courses are perfect to fit around your summer plans and can be a fresh addition to any CV or UCAS application.

In some cases, short courses can also help you form an strong application for Foundation/UG courses at university - for example, the Foundation Preparation Summer School at Kingston University, which helps future art students build a collection of well-varied work that can be used in their much-worried-about art portfolios!

Personally, as someone who has taken part in numerous university short courses over the past few years, I really can't recommend them enough, particularly as an art student. Being able to pick up new skills in disciplines I'd never been taught in college definitely improved the variety of my work - instead of just sticking to drawing and painting like I always had, I felt a lot more confident branching out into fashion design and ceramics when I got to degree level.

Furthermore, my one week short course in Art History pretty much solidified my choice of degree when I was applying to study at Kingston (BA Fine Art and Art History!), so I know firsthand that it can help anyone who may not be exactly sure what they want to pursue at degree level.

Kingston University London offers numerous short courses, some of which include:
- Introduction to Animation
- Toy Invention Programme
- Sustainable Fashion: Upcycling and Repair
- Introduction to Architecture
- Art Business
- Music: Studio and DAW operations
- Foundation Preparation Summer School
- 2-Day Creative Writing Workshop

If you have some free time this summer and are looking to branch out into something new (or even follow up an old interest), why not check it out?

More information can be found at the link below: https://www.kingston.ac.uk/short-courses/

Hope to see you there!

- Eve (Kingston Uni Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest