The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kibalchich
You called him "scum". I'm saying its more complicated than that as he has a diagnosis of anti-social personality disorder, likely as a result of childhood neglect and/or trauma.

So someone who took out a gun and killed an innocent person is not scum?
It isn't complicated; he went out with the intent of killing someone, and still shows no remorse what so ever. He's ****ing scum.
Original post by Yung Mon£y
It isn't complicated; he went out with the intent of killing someone, and still shows no remorse what so ever. He's ****ing scum.

EXACTLY.

He had no mercy on his victim, why the bloody hell should we have mercy on him? I'd tie him to a pole and thrash him to death. Something slow and painful which may make him show some remorse..... If only for his sorry little self and nothing else. :K:
Original post by simonbellringer
EXACTLY.

He had no mercy on his victim, why the bloody hell should we have mercy on him? I'd tie him to a pole and thrash him to death. Something slow and painful which may make him show some remorse..... If only for his sorry little self and nothing else. :K:

As much as I share your sentiments, I'd prefer forced labour camps. Prisons are expensive, execution can be cheap...but slavery? Slavery can actually turn over a profit....:smug:
As much as I share your sentiments, I'd prefer forced labour camps. Prisons are expensive, execution can be cheap...but slavery? Slavery can actually turn over a profit....:smug:

Brilliant idea. I'll be the overseer with a whip!! And OK we'll probably have to apologise again in 200 years time (what a bloody joke!!) but it will be worth it. :smug:

He did a scummy thing, yes.

Why did he do it? Why does he have no remorse? We know he has a diagnosis of anti-social pd, so that would seem a likely explanation to me. Personally, I think a high security psychiatric hospital would be a better place for him that prison. Harder for him too.
Original post by simonbellringer
EXACTLY.

No you wouldn't.
No you wouldn't.

I would.

Why did he do it? Why does he have no remorse? We know he has a diagnosis of anti-social pd, so that would seem a likely explanation to me. Personally, I think a high security psychiatric hospital would be a better place for him that prison. Harder for him too.

Clueless.
Original post by Harry Callahan
I would.

I bet you wouldn't. Unless you too have an anti-social personality disorder.
Clueless.

In what way? What is your experience in forensic mental health?
I bet you wouldn't. Unless you too have an anti-social personality disorder.

What if I do? Doesn't make it right or mean that I'd go out and murder somebody?

And you obviously don't know me well enough.

In what way? What is your experience in forensic mental health?

Don't try to condescend; you're talking bull****, and you know it.
What if I do? Doesn't make it right or mean that I'd go out and murder somebody?

And you obviously don't know me well enough.

You do come across as a little unhinged tbf.

Don't try to condescend; you're talking bull****, and you know it.

Really? What is your experience of forensic mental health?
You do come across as a little unhinged tbf.

Really? What is your experience of forensic mental health?

At least I don't come across as a ****ing left-wing ponce.

Because he's thick as **** and too idiotic to understand the gravity of the situation. He's no better then a poorly trained dog and should be treated as such.
You're explanation doesn't explain why he took a gun out onto the street, and then hunted down someone to kill. Stop feeling sympathy for an evil piece of ****.
Because he's thick as **** and too idiotic to understand the gravity of the situation. He's no better then a poorly trained dog and should be treated as such.
You're explanation doesn't explain why he took a gun out onto the street, and then hunted down someone to kill. Stop feeling sympathy for an evil piece of ****.

Eh? Who is expressing sympathy? :confused:

I'm looking at possible explanations, given that we know he has a mental health diagnosis.
Eh? Who is expressing sympathy? :confused:

I'm looking at possible explanations, given that we know he has a mental health diagnosis.

Explanation: He got a kick from doing it because he's cruel

End of. Why do some people find it hard to admit bad people exist?
Explanation: He got a kick from doing it because he's cruel

No disagreement from me there. Why is he cruel is the question.

End of. Why do some people find it hard to admit bad people exist?

Who is doing that? Seeing as we know he was diagnosed with a personality disorder, and seeing as it is very likely that this is connected to his cruelty, shouldn't we be asking what causes this type of personality disorder and can it be treated.
No disagreement from me there. Why is he cruel is the question.

Who is doing that? Seeing as we know he was diagnosed with a personality disorder, and seeing as it is very likely that this is connected to his cruelty, shouldn't we be asking what causes this type of personality disorder and can it be treated.

Because some people are unless you think, and can prove, personality is all nurture, and nothing to do with nature.

Not all people with that disorder are cruel, or are murderers, so your argument falls down right there.
Because some people are unless you think, and can prove, personality is all nurture, and nothing to do with nature.

Qualities such as empathy, remorse, impulse control, regulation of emotional states, ability to think about emotions and not merely be driven by them are to do with nurture.

Not all people with that disorder are cruel, or are murderers, so your argument falls down right there.

The DSM IV criteria for anti-social personality disorder are

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition (DSM IV-TR), defines antisocial personality disorder (in Axis II Cluster B) as:[1]
A) There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:
failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead;
irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another;
B) The individual is at least age 18 years.
C) There is evidence of conduct disorder with onset before age 15 years.
D) The occurrence of antisocial behavior is not exclusively during the course of schizophrenia or a manic episode.
The individual must be at least 18 years of age to be diagnosed with this disorder (Criterion B), but those diagnosed with ASPD as adults were commonly diagnosed with conduct disorder as children.

and the ICD10 says

Dissocial personality disorder
Personality disorder characterized by disregard for social obligations, and callous unconcern for the feelings of others. There is gross disparity between behaviour and the prevailing social norms. Behaviour is not readily modifiable by adverse experience, including punishment. There is a low tolerance to frustration and a low threshold for discharge of aggression, including violence; there is a tendency to blame others, or to offer plausible rationalizations for the behaviour bringing the patient into conflict with society.

Personality (disorder):
amoral
antisocial
asocial
psychopathic
sociopathic
Excl.:
conduct disorders (F91.-)
emotionally unstable personality disorder (F60.3)
Qualities such as empathy, remorse, impulse control, regulation of emotional states, ability to think about emotions and not merely be driven by them are to do with nurture.

The DSM IV criteria for anti-social personality disorder are

and the ICD10 says

Where's your proof it's to do with nurture? And your definition doesn't mean that a person will go out and murder someone. For fun.
Also if the guy is that mentally ill, is it not cruel to lock him up? If he was a dog, you'd put him out of his misery. Why is it better to lock him up? It helps no one.

Latest

Trending

Trending