The Student Room Group

Grade boundaries 2023

I was reading ofqal report and other sources and it said we have leniant grade boundaries for gcse this year however all the aqa exams i have done have been easy the only one i struggled with is maths which was eduqas (i will still get a 6 but i hope grade boundaries are lower so i can do better) so i was wondering what the deal is with this years grade boundaries whether they will be lower or whether they will be same as 2019 or just high.
Reply 1
My teachers at school have said they should be like 2019 boundaries but it also depends on how well the students in the UK did. Only the top 20% of people will get a 9 only and that's how they create the boundaries usually but not sure if they will lower them for covid as the pandemic has ended.
Reply 2
Original post by anon2911
I was reading ofqal report and other sources and it said we have leniant grade boundaries for gcse this year however all the aqa exams i have done have been easy the only one i struggled with is maths which was eduqas (i will still get a 6 but i hope grade boundaries are lower so i can do better) so i was wondering what the deal is with this years grade boundaries whether they will be lower or whether they will be same as 2019 or just high.

Ofqual have said that for summer 2023 the grading of exams should return to pre-pandemic standards. This means the proportions of students being awarded each grade should be roughly similar to those in 2019 and before. This does not mean grade boundaries will be the same as 2019. For some subjects/examiners they may be similar but some will be higher and some will be lower. Grade boundaries will depend on how difficult the exams actually were and if it's clear that overall candidate performance is still below expected due to the disruption, examiners may be a bit lenient in setting the boundaries.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/grading-exams-and-assessments-in-summer-2023-and-autumn-2022
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest