The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Accommodation FAQ + Accommodation Choices Thread Mark III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jennim
i applied for accommodation months ago after getting a conditional offer. I have not firmed manchester yet because i'm still waiting on my insurance but in terms of accommodation, does first come first serve apply to students who have firmed the uni or have applied for accommodation?

Hi

If you are sure that you will choose Manchester as your firm choice, then I suggest you do it asap.

If you applied before the required deadline, then you should get a place. However, it seems that people who have firmed manchester may get first dibs with the accommodation. It will be unfair to give you, someone undecided, a decent spot over someone, who will definitely be enrolling in the Autumn.

I still think you will get a place, but not 100% certain you will get your number one spot.

I think the allocation process works as follows (my own opinion):

Application closes, then accommodation office reviews student applications. Factors such as age, course, priority on application form, those who have firmed Manchester, support structure required etc. are considered.

The accommodation office begins allocating places based on factors and rooms available. E.g. Under-18 student in a hall with provisions to cater for underage students.

When most of the spots have been assigned for that application period, then the office issue places to students.

Here is the official process from Manchester: http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/applynow/processingyourapplication/

I hope this helps.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Teshz
Any opinion on the following halls, Denmark Road, George Kenyon, Liberty Point and Opal Gardens apart from the fact that Denmark and George Kenyon are in High demand? Any advice would be useful :wink: (if you have photos of the rooms, it would definitely be helpful)

Hey I currently live in Opal Gardens and it was my 3rd choice but I've really liked it here!
Rooms are a decent size, the showers are a bit meh but hey they work, it's just a bit cramped.
Do you have any specific questions? (I'm aware that you posted this 3 weeks ago so may have decided by now haha)
Hey everyone!

Could anyone help me with some opinions on the catered halls in Victoria, especially Hulme and St. Anselm? Also, how big of a deal was it staying closer to uni, as opposed to living in Fallowfield. I mean, that campus looks great but I just dread having to travel more than 40 minutes to get to courses, especially if they'll be early in the morning.

Hulme looks great to me, I have set it as my #1 option. As for St. Anselm, the reviews seem to be good, they also appear to have ditched the "sausage fest" policy, but I was not able to find too much in terms of pictures of the facilities or the actual rooms!
Original post by OvidiuSabau
Hey everyone!

Could anyone help me with some opinions on the catered halls in Victoria, especially Hulme and St. Anselm? Also, how big of a deal was it staying closer to uni, as opposed to living in Fallowfield. I mean, that campus looks great but I just dread having to travel more than 40 minutes to get to courses, especially if they'll be early in the morning.

Hulme looks great to me, I have set it as my #1 option. As for St. Anselm, the reviews seem to be good, they also appear to have ditched the "sausage fest" policy, but I was not able to find too much in terms of pictures of the facilities or the actual rooms!

Well I don't have any knowledge of St Anselm but I did take a look around the Hulme Hall facilities and I would say that it is really modern and clean ( almost as much as Denmark I would say!) and the staff are really nice so if you want to go self catered Hulme Hall is definitely a good choice!

In terms of closeness to uni I think that would have to be up to you whether or not you believe that Fallowfield as a campus is worth the extra distance or not. I will say though that although it is around 40 minutes walk most if not all people just get the bus there which is about 15 minutes or so and quite regular so as long as you don't mind bus catching a bus every morning i don't think it would be toooo much of an issue.

As i say i'm sorry I can't help you with St. Anselm info but if you need any more questions on like distancing or any Hulme Hall pictures I can try to help :smile:
Hi guys I got an offer from liberty point residence.If you have any queries about liberty point I can answer.I applied to this accommodation through the university of manchesters' website
Reply 5825
Hello guys, just got an offer for Denmark Road, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about this Hall, its pros and cons.
Thanks in advance
Hello guys I am an international student will be studying Masters at AMBS this september, I am looking for an accommodation and I am confused between Ashburne and whitworth. Although I read Origami Bullets reviews but there is'nt much mention about postgraduate students. So would like to knwo which one is a better choice for PG students( although I am 22 dont feel like PG student ) I am looking for a hall which has good social life. where I could make friends easily.

Thank you in advance
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm starting at UoM in sept and have just had offer of accom at Weston hall! Can anyone give me a good insite? I'm so unsure about it after reading some online reviews.
Thanks
Original post by Rebdy
Hello guys, just got an offer for Denmark Road, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about this Hall, its pros and cons.
Thanks in advance

Damn, was offered my second choice instead (Denmark Rd was my 1st). Congrats for being offered Denmark Rd though~
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5829
Original post by singzeon
Damn, was offered my second choice instead (Denmark Rd was my 1st). Congrats for being offered Denmark Rd though~

Thanks, ironically DR was my second choice, George Kenyon was my first. What was your second choice?
Original post by Rebdy
Thanks, ironically DR was my second choice, George Kenyon was my first. What was your second choice?

Damn maybe I should've put DR as my second choice instead XD

My second choice is Whitworth Park. Distance-wise it's actually about the same as DR, just that I chose DR over WP for its en suite~
What happens if I reject my accommodation offer? Would that allow me to reapply for other places ?
Original post by jedikan
What happens if I reject my accommodation offer? Would that allow me to reapply for other places ?

I dont think they will allow you to reapply or even offer you another spot except in very unconventional conditions such as needing special care or something not already considered.

The best idea is to inform the accommodation office of your reason for declining the offer and the sort of place that may suit your requirements.

Please bear in mind that your request may not be met but it does not mean that you cannot ask.
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont think they will allow you to reapply or even offer you another spot except in very unconventional conditions such as needing special care or something not already considered.

The best idea is to inform the accommodation office of your reason for declining the offer and the sort of place that may suit your requirements.

Please bear in mind that your request may not be met but it does not mean that you cannot ask.

Okay, thanks for the help. I assume this means I'll have to wait till October to reapply to exchange right?
Original post by jedikan
Okay, thanks for the help. I assume this means I'll have to wait till October to reapply to exchange right?

You can contact them now to see whether they can accommodate your request to change but you need to be persistent because they hate change requests.

If not, then ask when will be the best time to change which will probably be in october
Original post by jedikan

I'm not sure where, but I do remember reading that it is highly unlikely that the uni will reoffer accommodation should you reject their initial offer. As for those with special needs, they did mention on their website that such needs should be highlighted during the application process. So I'm not sure if they can accept this as justification for rejecting and subsequent re-applying.
Original post by Johnboi1985
I'm starting at UoM in sept and have just had offer of accom at Weston hall! Can anyone give me a good insite? I'm so unsure about it after reading some online reviews.
Thanks

No wifi lol
Hey, so I have just received my accommodation offer of Opal Gardens, Victoria Park with an ensuite dorm but I would prefer to be in Fallowfields. I applied to Sheavyn House, Richmond Park and Owen's Park but got none of my choices. As I know you shouldn't reject your offer as you would end up with no accommodation I was wondering if anyone would like to trade rooms. Please contact me if you have accomodation in Fallowfields that you would like to swap (preferably ensuite mixed dorn self-catered like the one I have). I am open to any of the choices but primarily Sheavyn, Owen's and Richmond. Thank you!
Original post by Ameen Abdelbagi
No wifi lol

Yeah I seen that Iv rejected my offer and gone private... it didn't look like a nice place to stay lol
Original post by tatumcwells
Hey, so I have just received my accommodation offer of Opal Gardens, Victoria Park with an ensuite dorm but I would prefer to be in Fallowfields. I applied to Sheavyn House, Richmond Park and Owen's Park but got none of my choices. As I know you shouldn't reject your offer as you would end up with no accommodation I was wondering if anyone would like to trade rooms. Please contact me if you have accomodation in Fallowfields that you would like to swap (preferably ensuite mixed dorn self-catered like the one I have). I am open to any of the choices but primarily Sheavyn, Owen's and Richmond. Thank you!

Hey, i just wanna ask: have you been to opal gardens and had a look? Is it ok? I applied for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending