The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Postgrad Uploading documents to clear conditions without accepting the offer?

Hello! I have conditional offers from two UCL MSc programs and I was wondering if it’s possible to upload the documents to clear my conditions without accepting the offer?

I wasn’t able to meet the condition on my grades for my first choice but I want to upload the documents and a written letter about some extenuating circumstances. At the same time, I want to hold on to the conditional offer from my second choice ( I meet the conditions fully) just in case I get rejected from the first one.

Is it possible to upload my documents to clear my condition without accepting the offer?
If it is, would I be able to upload the documents for two programs at the same time?
If it is necessary to accept the offer before uploading the documents, would the second offer be rescinded once I accept one?

Since I am an international student, it would be great if I could upload the documents for both programs and have them processed simultaneously, in order to move on to the visa and accommodation application as soon as I can.

On my portico, I have the ‘upload document’ tab on the top of the application page and the message that says ‘We require you to upload additional information. This may refer to the conditions in your offer or to a further email from us. Please go to the Upload Documents link above.’ for both of my programs.

Can I get any advise on what the best course of action is in this situation?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply 1
Original post by al812
Hello! I have conditional offers from two UCL MSc programs and I was wondering if it’s possible to upload the documents to clear my conditions without accepting the offer?
I wasn’t able to meet the condition on my grades for my first choice but I want to upload the documents and a written letter about some extenuating circumstances. At the same time, I want to hold on to the conditional offer from my second choice ( I meet the conditions fully) just in case I get rejected from the first one.
Is it possible to upload my documents to clear my condition without accepting the offer?
If it is, would I be able to upload the documents for two programs at the same time?
If it is necessary to accept the offer before uploading the documents, would the second offer be rescinded once I accept one?
Since I am an international student, it would be great if I could upload the documents for both programs and have them processed simultaneously, in order to move on to the visa and accommodation application as soon as I can.
On my portico, I have the ‘upload document’ tab on the top of the application page and the message that says ‘We require you to upload additional information. This may refer to the conditions in your offer or to a further email from us. Please go to the Upload Documents link above.’ for both of my programs.
Thanks in advance!!

Hi, yes! I've uploaded documents for all my chosen universities without accepting a place yet.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Koo84
Hi, yes! I've uploaded documents for all my chosen universities without accepting a place yet.

Hi, I saw this FAQ on UCL website that said I will need to accept my offer to upload my documents.(https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/graduate-offer-holders/frequently-asked-questions) But this isn’t mentioned anywhere else on the UCL website, email from them or on portico. I am really confused??
But I guess it’s the norm to upload the documents first and receive an unconditional offer before accepting it?
For most unis, you don't need to have accepted before they process documents. I can understand the logic of UCL's policy though, it's a waste of their time multiplied over thousands of offer holders who may not end up joining them.

No harm in uploading them anyway. Worst case they just don't do anything until you accept.

NB. Going unconditional now typically won't start the CAS process. That happens closer to the course start date.
Reply 4
Original post by al812
Thanks in advance!!

I've not come across having to accept the offer first before submitting documents (as it's often the case that an offer is conditional until submission of documents and then becomes unconditional) this is what I've done with all my applications. It's also worth mentioning I work at a university and it's the same process there. It could be an error in the FAQs? Best course of action would be emailing the university postgraduate admissions and they will be happy to advise you.
Reply 5
Original post by Koo84
I've not come across having to accept the offer first before submitting documents (as it's often the case that an offer is conditional until submission of documents and then becomes unconditional) this is what I've done with all my applications. It's also worth mentioning I work at a university and it's the same process there. It could be an error in the FAQs? Best course of action would be emailing the university postgraduate admissions and they will be happy to advise you.

I’ve emailed the admissions team but they take quite a while to reply. I assumed that I’d have a better chance of getting in to the first choice if I started the second assessment sooner?

It’s weird that it’s only written in the FAQs and nowhere else. I got an email telling me to upload the documents and it explained where to click on the portico and everything, but no mention of accepting the offer. Someone who hasn’t seen the FAQs probably wouldn’t know about it.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
For most unis, you don't need to have accepted before they process documents. I can understand the logic of UCL's policy though, it's a waste of their time multiplied over thousands of offer holders who may not end up joining them.
No harm in uploading them anyway. Worst case they just don't do anything until you accept.
NB. Going unconditional now typically won't start the CAS process. That happens closer to the course start date.

I suppose I should upload them anyway and see what happens. Do you know how long it will take for them to make the offer unconditional if you’ve met the conditions?

It says that they will start giving CAS in late spring/early summer if you’ve accepted an offer by then so I guess it’s like May/June?
For accommodation, I suppose I need to have accepted an offer to apply. The deadline is the end of June but do you think I’d have a better luck if I apply sooner?
It feels like everything in the uk unis is on a rolling basis and it’s hard to keep track lol.
Original post by al812
I suppose I should upload them anyway and see what happens. Do you know how long it will take for them to make the offer unconditional if you’ve met the conditions?

It says that they will start giving CAS in late spring/early summer if you’ve accepted an offer by then so I guess it’s like May/June?
For accommodation, I suppose I need to have accepted an offer to apply. The deadline is the end of June but do you think I’d have a better luck if I apply sooner?
It feels like everything in the uk unis is on a rolling basis and it’s hard to keep track lol.

Processing docs can take anything from a few days to several weeks. A unis priority will always be offers rather than making people unconditional at this stage.

Accommodation processes for postgrad from uni to uni. Broadly there’s two key dates, when applications open, and when allocations are made. Depending on their process, there may not be much advantage to going unconditional now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending