The Student Room Group

The Best Martial Art For A Tall Person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akbar2k7
good luck hopefully you enjoy it. I myself will take part in art again at university once I get settled and have the job to fund it. :smile:

Wing chun is very no nonsense when it comes to self defense here check this guy out:

[video="youtube;HCfyEu_wUdI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCfyEu_wUdI&feature=plcp[/video]

Well the session was good! Just had to change my punching style from karate which confused me slightly lol, and the whole blocking and attacking at the same time, that was weird. Just have to decide if I wanna spend £40 (50 euors) a month on it now, cos that's more expensive than doing karate back home in England was. I'd like to think I could maybe learn a lot from youtube videos and good practice, but I'd have nobody to correct my mistakes then...

And awesome video, thanks! xD
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Kiss

So what do you think is a good martial art for a tall guy?? Or should I try to go back to TKD and get black???

At 6'5 'd recommend Muay Thai if you enjoying striking things. Mainly because if you're able to clinch people you should be able to knee a lot of shorter guys in the face with ease. Also you'd probably have a reach advantage over most guys on the outside.

For self defence, most guys are going to look to punch you (mostly in the face) or try and grab you, maybe try and take you down or hockey punch you. Muay Thai deals with strike defence and clinch grappling and striking.

In addition you'll also be able to kick people the legs which is somewhat unexpected.

So i'd advise you to go to your local club try a session and see if you enjoy it.
Can I also ask if you don't mind, how much do you weigh?
Reply 22
If you're tall and skinny, get stronger and gain some weight. Then you'll have an advantage at EVERYTHING. I think I saw you were 6'5? Get up to a solid 220-225.

Learn to fight in all ranges.
Im 6:3 160lbs been tall and lanky all my life due to genetic condition. I was able to train early(ill advised) in GOJU karate(Peter Urban style) as a youth. It was great for the guys lower to the ground who could reach and grab,sweep,throw. Powerful Japanese system. My problem was/is my foot deformity of unbelieable flat feet so hard surfaces are murder to train on for my bony deformed feet. I did however develop one hell of a reverse punch. Dropped several people in tournaments with it even while training in a different system(TKD). I guess it will boil down to which techniques and training regimen you are most comfortable with. I watched the world martial arts competition on eyewitness news here in the states around 1970 and 1971. The Muay Thai cats destroyed EVERYBODY including China. Nobody could get inside their kicks and were just sitting ducks for those devastating round house kicks. The next year had the same result. The next year China refused to send a team claiming Muay was to deadly an art to be a sport.
All standing martial arts are good for tall people.

Wrestling not so much. Brazillian jiu jitsu is a good grappling art for a tall person.

Best striking martial art hands down is straight up boxing. Keep it simple before sticking your leg up in the air. Ryu and Ken might be able to unleash some killer head kicks but your average joe is more likely to follow over. The problem with people trying to learn how to kick is that they're more likely going to use it poorly than use it well.

In the post Tyson era boxing and basketball are competing for the same athletes - tall people.
(edited 11 years ago)
your best shot is Aikido

Quick Reply

Latest