The Student Room Group

Worried I’m not cut out for the job

I recently applied for a job with the police and was very excited about it, I’ve since had quite a few people such as friends, family and work colleagues pull faces and make comments when I’ve told them about it as they say I’m not gonna be good at it because I’m “sensitive” and “shy” and find confrontation difficult sometimes…

This has obviously got me thinking now and I’m worried I’ll be rubbish at it as people basically just think I’m too pathetic. They also made comments about how I won’t be strong enough as I’m a female and I’m very skinny and tall.

When I applied I thought this wasn’t going to be an issue as I will obviously be trained and I will also focus on my fitness and strength but these comments have really got me thinking and I’m really uncertain now about going forward with this.

How can I show that I’m capable of doing this and stop people thinking I’m pathetic? I was really proud of myself for making it to where I am in the recruitment process and now I’m just annoyed about it all…
Original post by Anonymous
I recently applied for a job with the police and was very excited about it, I’ve since had quite a few people such as friends, family and work colleagues pull faces and make comments when I’ve told them about it as they say I’m not gonna be good at it because I’m “sensitive” and “shy” and find confrontation difficult sometimes…

This has obviously got me thinking now and I’m worried I’ll be rubbish at it as people basically just think I’m too pathetic. They also made comments about how I won’t be strong enough as I’m a female and I’m very skinny and tall.

When I applied I thought this wasn’t going to be an issue as I will obviously be trained and I will also focus on my fitness and strength but these comments have really got me thinking and I’m really uncertain now about going forward with this.

How can I show that I’m capable of doing this and stop people thinking I’m pathetic? I was really proud of myself for making it to where I am in the recruitment process and now I’m just annoyed about it all…

Have you completed your job-related fitness test (JRFT), which forms part of the recruitment process, yet? If you pass that, then you have the required level of fitness. So you can discard and self-doubts on that score. (Also, your height is likely to be a distinct advantage when dealing with the public.)

As for the fact that you "find confrontation difficult sometimes", you'll be trained to deal with a wide variety of situations, some of which will involve an element of confrontation. It likely won't come easy at first, but it will - with training, practice and experience.

Congratulations for getting this far with the recruitment process. Don't let the comments of others put you off. Not every good police officer looks like someone from Gladiators. Most of them are normal, everyday folk. Just like you. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Have you completed your job-related fitness test (JRFT), which forms part of the recruitment process, yet? If you pass that, then you have the required level of fitness. So you can discard and self-doubts on that score. (Also, your height is likely to be a distinct advantage when dealing with the public.)
As for the fact that you "find confrontation difficult sometimes", you'll be trained to deal with a wide variety of situations, some of which will involve an element of confrontation. It likely won't come easy at first, but it will - with training, practice and experience.
Congratulations for getting this far with the recruitment process. Don't let the comments of others put you off. Not every good police officer looks like someone from Gladiators. Most of them are normal, everyday folk. Just like you. :smile:

I have the fitness tests in a few months which I’m confident I’ll pass! It’s just running, I think most people think that the job role is “taking people down” and because I’m very light and not very muscular people think I won’t be capable whereas in my opinion that’s a last resort and won’t be something I’ll be doing often!
Original post by Anonymous
I have the fitness tests in a few months which I’m confident I’ll pass! It’s just running, I think most people think that the job role is “taking people down” and because I’m very light and not very muscular people think I won’t be capable whereas in my opinion that’s a last resort and won’t be something I’ll be doing often!

I absolutely agree. Whilst rugby-tackling a fleeing suspect might be fun :biggrin:, it's not what you're going to be doing day-in and day-out.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Don't worry about what other people think - if that's an issue to you, policing is going to be tough in general.

All you really need is to improve your confidence and how used you are to confrontation / physicality.

To do that, I can only recommend that you start playing rugby or doing Judo. Don't fuss yourself with anything that labels itself as "martial arts". That won't help. You aren't trying to learn how to kick or punch - what you need is first hand live experience of being physically involved with someone, and you will get that from those two sports. I absolutely guarantee you / promise you it will do you the world of good.
Prove them wrong. Working for the police will boost your confidence and your ability to problem solve when dealing with the public. I imagine it's a role that focuses more on people skills and good communication rather than physically tackling people to the floor.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending