The Student Room Group

British/European boys, would you date a Latina girl?

British/European boys, would you date a Latina girl who's 4'9 ft tall?

Scroll to see replies

4ft9 extremely short so prob no
In theory yea.
When you say "British" / "European", do you specifically mean "White?" (Anglo Saxon)

Either way, to answer your question, some will, some won't. However, I don't think this board is the best place to get an accurate answer, as there are a lot of desperate people here with no experience with women, who would literally date anyone who would look at them.

So yeah, you'll probably get a lot of "yes" answers here... but how much it reflects reality (and whether you would date the guys in question) is a completely different matter.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
I went out with a Brazilian girl for a year ish, she was a bit taller though, about five foot two.
Reply 5
Had to Google what that is. Race doesn’t factor into my decisions on this.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Yes, if she meets my requirements: No body count, religious, good personality and attractive.

Sorry but why does race matter? Its 2024

I'll have a stab at it
Original post by Anonymous

Because people generally only date people that they find attractive, and whether or not you find someone attractive will depend on their appearance. People of different races look different, and it's entirely natural that some people will be more attracted to certain races than others. It doesn't mean an individual will always or never find anyone of a particular race attractive, but people will definitely notice patterns in finding people of certain races generally more or less attractive than others. That's not something that people can control. It is just how attraction works.

Which means, in answer to the OP's question, that plenty of guys on here, and indeed in the real world, find Latina girls attractive generally, just as some don't. That's not guarantee that they will find you attractive, of course, but neither your race nor your height will stop guys wanting to date you.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Because people generally only date people that they find attractive, and whether or not you find someone attractive will depend on their appearance. People of different races look different, and it's entirely natural that some people will be more attracted to certain races than others. It doesn't mean an individual will always or never find anyone of a particular race attractive, but people will definitely notice patterns in finding people of certain races generally more or less attractive than others. That's not something that people can control. It is just how attraction works.

Which means, in answer to the OP's question, that plenty of guys on here, and indeed in the real world, find Latina girls attractive generally, just as some don't. That's not guarantee that they will find you attractive, of course, but neither your race nor your height will stop guys wanting to date you.

I completely understand that by definition the prospect of dating someone and being selective is inherently discrimination by nature.

I just think people who exclusively date a certain race are a bit strange (I had a friend in college who loved the idea of being with Japanese women but he refused to date anyone else then after a while he got depressed about it as he was single for a long while) I think a few years later he is normal about it, as in, he doesn't exclusively date a certain race. Just my opinion
Original post by Anonymous #2
I completely understand that by definition the prospect of dating someone and being selective is inherently discrimination by nature.

I just think people who exclusively date a certain race are a bit strange (I had a friend in college who loved the idea of being with Japanese women but he refused to date anyone else then after a while he got depressed about it as he was single for a long while) I think a few years later he is normal about it, as in, he doesn't exclusively date a certain race. Just my opinion

I find it odd for someone to only date people from a particular race but not a member of that race.

On social media, i have watched and read some wild statements such as “I only date black guys” (from a non-black woman) or “I really like only white girls or Indian girls” (from one who is not white or Indian).
Original post by Wired_1800
I find it odd for someone to only date people from a particular race but not a member of that race.

On social media, i have watched and read some wild statements such as “I only date black guys” (from a non-black woman) or “I really like only white girls or Indian girls” (from one who is not white or Indian).

I agree.

I think it's normal to be either a) exclusively attracted to your own race or b) open to dating any race / ethnicity. I'm generally suspicious of those who are exclusively attracted to one race. IMHO, it's almost like they secretly wish they were that race.

I'll maybe make an exception for those who were, say, of race "A" but were brought up surrounded by race "B", so naturally identify with the associated values etc.

For me, as a black guy, I find quite often the black people who exclusively date white people, often have a really hostile and negative view to other black people. I can't speak for other persons of colour who exclusively date white people
(edited 2 months ago)
No, too short

I find most people who are of race "A" but are exclusively attracted to race "B" are often actually attracted to some kind of stereotype that's associated with race "B". If person cannot meet said stereotype, they'll often lose interest quite quickly.

I agree that it shouldn't matter... but unfortunately it does, and it's a big deal for a lot of people.

I've had first hand (online) experience of people who've fancied me following various things I've said etc. but the moment they find out I'm black, I never hear from them again (and this is without even bothering to ask to see a picture of me). If I'm lucky, I'd get some kind of brush-off ("IF I'm lucky?!?"! LMFAO 🤣 )

I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think it's something people can't control... I'm not buying that. Having a racial preference is not the same as being gay / lesbian. Personally, I believe most racial preferences are a result of social conditioning (i.e. they're learnt). IMHO, most people (who are not inherently racist / xenophobic) are capable of finding other races attractive if they're open minded. It can literally take one significant event for people to have their eyes opened.

For example, even as recent as the 1980's, it wasn't "normal" for white people to find black people attractive (unless they were of a very specific demographic and / or personality type). However in 1994, Will Smith changed that in the film Bad Boys. In 2003 Beyoncé did a similar thing with the music video Crazy In Love. These respective performances opened a lot of peoples eyes; many of whom wouldn't have contemplated finding a black person physically / sexually attractive.

Similarly, take a white guy who's only ever looked at white women... and (for whatever reason) he's in some remote part of India for an indefinite period. Chances are he'll start to consider some South Asian women, who can demonstrate they meet some of his other dating criteria (either that, or he'll maybe become a Buddhist Monk, lol). On the other hand, a truly straight guy would never consider a relationship with another guy; even if there was an extreme shortage of women wherever he was (the possible exception being if they were in prison... but even that's just a means to an end).
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I agree.

I think it's normal to be either a) exclusively attracted to your own race or b) open to dating any race / ethnicity. I'm generally suspicious of those who are exclusively attracted to one race. IMHO, it's almost like they secretly wish they were that race.

I'll maybe make an exception for those who were, say, of race "A" but were brought up surrounded by race "B", so naturally identify with the associated values etc.

For me, as a black guy, I find quite often the black people who exclusively date white people, often have a really hostile and negative view to other black people. I can't speak for other persons of colour who exclusively date white people

Yes. I also find it suspicious esp when some try to defend it on social media.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think it's something people can't control... I'm not buying that. Having a racial preference is not the same as being gay / lesbian. Personally, I believe most racial preferences are a result of social conditioning (i.e. they're learnt). IMHO, most people (who are not inherently racist / xenophobic) are capable of finding other races attractive if they're open minded. It can literally take one significant event for people to have their eyes opened.

For example, even as recent as the 1980's, it wasn't "normal" for white people to find black people attractive (unless they were of a very specific demographic and / or personality type). However in 1994, Will Smith changed that in the film Bad Boys. In 2003 Beyoncé did a similar thing with the music video Crazy In Love. These respective performances opened a lot of peoples eyes; many of whom wouldn't have contemplated finding a black person physically / sexually attractive.

Similarly, take a white guy who's only ever looked at white women... and (for whatever reason) he's in some remote part of India for an indefinite period. Chances are he'll start to consider some South Asian women, who can demonstrate they meet some of his other dating criteria (either that, or he'll maybe become a Buddhist Monk, lol). On the other hand, a truly straight guy would never consider a relationship with another guy; even if there was an extreme shortage of women wherever he was (the possible exception being if they were in prison... but even that's just a means to an end).

This is an interesting discussion. As it happens I don't actually disagree with any of this. When I say that people can't control attraction, I mean that they can't make an active choice in the moment to find someone attractive when they do not find them attractive. I entirely agree that social factors can influence that, and indeed I agree that there are things that people can do themselves that can alter who and what they find attractive. Your example in that respect of just spending more time around those of other ethnicities is a perfect example of that. I didn't mean to completely absolve people of responsibility in that respect. If people do not find certain individuals attractive because of prejudices, that is something that can and should be addressed, though probably for better reasons than attraction. I also agree that people indicating that they will only date a particular ethnic group, particularly when it's not their own, but also honestly when it is to a degree, that that is indicative of some sort of prejudice.

So actually, I agree with everything you've said. At the same time, I do stand by my point that not generally finding people of particular ethnicities attractive, or finding them less attractive than others, isn't a discriminatory stance to take, and isn't necessarily indicative of prejudice either (though I can see arguments to say that it will always be indicative of some level of prejudice, even if it's institutionalised or deeply subconscious).
This is an interesting discussion. As it happens I don't actually disagree with any of this. When I say that people can't control attraction, I mean that they can't make an active choice in the moment to find someone attractive when they do not find them attractive. I entirely agree that social factors can influence that, and indeed I agree that there are things that people can do themselves that can alter who and what they find attractive. Your example in that respect of just spending more time around those of other ethnicities is a perfect example of that. I didn't mean to completely absolve people of responsibility in that respect. If people do not find certain individuals attractive because of prejudices, that is something that can and should be addressed, though probably for better reasons than attraction. I also agree that people indicating that they will only date a particular ethnic group, particularly when it's not their own, but also honestly when it is to a degree, that that is indicative of some sort of prejudice.

And that's fine (IMHO) I don't think there's anything wrong with having a mild / moderat racial preference. My gripe is there seem to be some people who are determined never to find a particular group attractive... and then claim that it's something they can't help. I don't mean to make this "all about me", but from post #15, you'll see that I said it's quite common for people online to like my personality, what I say etc. enough to message me privately (well they were definitely interested in me in some form lol), yet as soon as they find out I'm black, they'll drop me like a hot-potato.

Still, I never have any problems like that when I meet people IRL; though obviously they'll know I'm black from the get-go... so I guess those who would have a problem with that wouldn't give me the time of day in the first place.

So actually, I agree with everything you've said. At the same time, I do stand by my point that not generally finding people of particular ethnicities attractive, or finding them less attractive than others, isn't a discriminatory stance to take, and isn't necessarily indicative of prejudice either (though I can see arguments to say that it will always be indicative of some level of prejudice, even if it's institutionalised or deeply subconscious)

Again, this is natural. I think if people were really honest with themselves (TBF, this is a very difficult thing to do, most people would admit to having a natural preference to one particular ethnicity. From my experience, the only types of peoples, where race seems to be inconsequential are:-

1) The elite beautiful people:- I'm talking the model types, the 9/10's and higher. In this world, I've found that the important thing is that you're a beautiful person. As long as you're classically beautiful (e.g. good facial symmetry / proportions, sparkly eyes, a nice smile etc.), then ethnicity is almost completely inconsequential.

2) Athletes:- This is one from experience, I won't bore you with a sob-story, but I was on the receiving end of a lot of racism and hositlity when I was younger, (I'm also dark-skinned) but when I joined an athletics club and was mixing with the people there... it's very much the feeling, if you're an athlete, you're an athlete; regardless of skin colour.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending