The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't put much stock into the iqtest.com tests - I got 167 on that and when tested formally by mensa, I got 150.
There are two scales, this was asked about a while back.
"15 scale" (Test the nation uses this one) and the "24 scale" (MENSA uses this one).
The number of the scale is the standard deviation from the mean average (100). Anyone who is more than 2 SD away from the mean is considered to have abnormal intelligence (abnormally high, or abnormally low).
<70 (15 scale), or <52 (24 scale) means you would have difficulty solving problems, learning languages, communicating with people, performing complex tasks, etc.
>130 (15 scale), or >148 (24 scale) means you are among a small percentage who are significantly "better" at solving problems, learning languages, etc.

Unfortunately - IQ is a load of rubbish, the tests are country-specific, as is the definition of intelligence. It's bloodyhard to put a label on such a thing, as in tribes of Africa there was found to be a completely different definition of the word intelligence (i.e. skill, shooting arrows, blowing darts, etc.).

Just some interesting facts for you.
Reply 61
I've done 3 or 4 internet tests and a MENSA-sanctioned one and received ~133 on all, so I wouldn't dismiss all internet tests. They've proved relatively accurate for me.
I think the further you test away from the mean the harder it is to be "accurate". Especially when there are fewer people at that end of the scale who are able to solve the problems you are setting!
I agree IQ is absolute crap especially on the internet

Highest IQ : 158

Average IQ: around 124

Lowest IQ : 97

I'd say if i did a MENSA IQ test id get around 114 or summat.
Out of all the IQ tests I have taken, I have ranged from 145-165

the 'official' one was a 160.

IQ tests are really nothing though, it is based on someone else's guidelines to intelligence. There are many different kinds of intelligence, and 'overall intelligence' should be based mainly on the areas of intelligence you use/value.
Reply 65
cellochickee
Out of all the IQ tests I have taken, I have ranged from 145-165

the 'official' one was a 160.

IQ tests are really nothing though, it is based on someone else's guidelines to intelligence. There are many different kinds of intelligence, and 'overall intelligence' should be based mainly on the areas of intelligence you use/value.

160? that's pretty high! In the advanced level I think.
Reply 66
stuartw101
I just did a test and found out my IQ was 117, im 17 years old, is that a good score?

Thanks
mines 130, i was 2 points off joining mensa
I've had my IQ measured between about 145 (where that was the limit to the test), and 196.
I think the site was reputable for my 196 score, and the Q's were certainly difficult enough.
But Iq is hard to put any real value on. I'm particularly good at IQ style tests, which is why my score is high, but that doesn't equate to any ability outside IQ tests necessarily.
~*glitter*~
mines 130, i was 2 points off joining mensa

I thought is was 148 to join. Unless you mean 132 to take the invigilatored exam?
Reply 69
i cant belive this keeps popping back up.
Reply 70
NDGAARONDI
I thought is was 148 to join. Unless you mean 132 to take the invigilatored exam?

It depends on which scale it is. A score of 148 is required on the Catell scale (the one that mensa base their tests on), but on the Culture Fair test only 132 is required.
Reply 71
162 on Cattell B :smile:
Reply 72
there just a waste of time :smile:
Reply 73
Invisible
I can't believe that some people take these internet IQ tests seriously.

I've never taken one, so I'm not one to judge... but me neither.
Reply 74
Invisible
I can't believe that some people take these internet IQ tests seriously.

:eek: But they are really serious! One day I took an IQ test on the internet, but didn't put much effort in, and I only scored 92 - the next day I could barely spell my own name! The next week, I tried really hard, and got 197, and all of a sudden I knew everything! I went to write a shopping list, and accidently found that when I turned it upside down I had written a complete Grand Unifying Theory and simultaneously solved world hunger forever, proved the existance of God, invented a new type of vacuum cleaner AND reworked the Mona Lisa even better than the original.

IQ tests are a load of crap. Just like a maths test is only good for measuring mathematical ability, all an IQ test can show is whether you are good at IQ tests. To relate this to intelligence requires the very ignorant attitude of "if your are good at this type of questions then you are intelligent", to which nobody could possibly agree on the questions, as "absolute" intelligence simply does not exist.
Reply 75
calumc
:eek: But they are really serious! One day I took an IQ test on the internet, but didn't put much effort in, and I only scored 92 - the next day I could barely spell my own name! The next week, I tried really hard, and got 197, and all of a sudden I knew everything! I went to write a shopping list, and accidently found that when I turned it upside down I had written a complete Grand Unifying Theory and simultaneously solved world hunger forever, proved the existance of God

I was with you up to there...

Latest

Trending

Trending