The Student Room Group

Solutions to Racism. Please Discuss :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cl_steele
May i ask how that would solve racism though...?

If anything it would make it worse
Kill everyone. :yep:
Ze final solution! Remove all other races from the planet!
Reply 43
Original post by kevin6767
Remove the hypocrisy if anyone actually can. I saw an interview with Morgan Freeman on youtube a few months ago were he criticised the government for having a black history month. He said why not have a white history month or a jewish history month? The same could be said in Britain. Look at the police for instance. If you can have a black police officers association why not a white one? The more you highlight skin differences the more present they will be in discussion. In my experience culture and systems of belief are a greater divider of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Aww man i was just about to post that video :mad:
Reply 44
Original post by democracyforum
There are none.

Wow that's defeatist! What if the Suffragettes had adopted that attitude? What if Nelson Mandella had given up?
Anything caused by man can be undone by man.
Don't get me wrong, of course it's hard, but people posting negative messages is wrong.
This is the solution I think had the biggest impact:

254651_139412492813275_100002335768416_248439_7603070_n.jpg
Original post by Varsh05
I'm supposed to be doing a presentation on racism in french and one of its aspects is to look at the solutions of racism.
What are your ideas??
Please discuss as this is a big issue in France as well as a lot of other countries! :smile:

Valid research suggest racism (or any prejudice) is a result of different identities/group memberships, eg Black, White, European, Middle Eastern, Muslim, Jewish etc. Creating one big group and identity, eg by endorsing our 'human-ness' and being Human Nationalists might reduce racism. However, this is a very simplistic view of racism. More factors are involved, eg political (read about Marx view of power structures), historical etc.
Everyone says there is a race problem.

Who?

Everyone says the solution is to bring in every other culture and ethnic group to your country via mass immigration and live with them.

No, it's a short term fix too the demographic crisis

What if I told you Korea had a race problem, and the solution was to bring in everyone who wasn't Korean via mass immigration ?

Asian culture is based around social cohesion, so the young are expected to make financial sacrifices for the elderly. Western culture is based on individualism, people don't feel the same sort of responsibility to people here.

These people say there are against racism.
What they are actually against is any sort of ethnic nationalism or homogeneous country

What people?

Almost as easy as copying and pasting some piece of **** which doesn't even make sense.
Reply 48
I can't find the studies I'm thinking of at the moment, but there is a huge link between how accepting of black/hispanic/gay/islamic/etc you are is how many people of that group you know. It's pretty hard to hate people based on a prejudice when you know a decent person from that minority.

Thus a solution would be to have a more open and mixed society, compared to the fairly segregated communities we have at the moment.
Reply 49
I'm no stranger to racism as I've had pretty racist things said to me or that I've seen about my race all my life, it sucks./
Some solutions imo:
-MEDIA: The media needs to stop including the race of the person in headlines when it's not necessary or relevant at all. It makes people associate the race with this one event or with the individual's actions (leading to stereotypes). Plus, the fact that it includes this irrelevant detail makes it seem as if their race is important for us to know, and hardens the labels and clear separation in society.

-TOLERANCE: When racism happens especially casually, people and even the individual to who it's happening to doesn't say anything or show the person that it's not acceptable. This is one of the reasons I think why there's double standards in terms of racism. I feel because certain races stick up for themselves more , the other races that don't say anything get picked on more and people feel a lot more happy to make jokes and racist comments publicly. Perhaps stricter punishments of people picking on others racially would also show how racism isn't acceptable.

-EDUCATE: Being racist is often deep rooted and can come from personal experience or from other people's influence. However I think if more things were set up in school e.g. people who come into high school etc to talk about their racist bullying experience (of someone who's a victim and someone who's views may have changed for the better) then people would be able to see it from another perspective and be able to empathize and thus, be more sensitive in what they think or say.
Reply 50
Original post by cl_steele
May i ask how that would solve racism though...?

Because race is just the mask of racism, its a war of religions. Open your eyes.
Wipe everyone out and start again.
Reply 52
Original post by anil1
Because race is just the mask of racism, its a war of religions. Open your eyes.

heres the dictionary definition of what race is and then what racism is;
Racism:
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Race:
noun
a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
a population so related.
Anthropology .
a.
any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics: no longer in technical use.
b.
an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
c.
a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.

now does it say anything about religion? No so stop being ignorant and 'open your eyes' Someone who hates people based on religion would simply be a bigot.
Islam is a religion not a race of people. Islam is one of the most ethnically diverse religions in the world. Criticising the faith is not racist, it is highlighting hypocrisy and the general bull crap that is religion. In the same respect it is not racist to criticise Christianity, Hinduism, Shikhism etc.

This sounds like an argument that Tommy Robinson trots out when people accuse the EDL of being racist :biggrin:

In my opinion, the less well educated members of society don't have an extensive knowledge of the main tenets of Islam. Neither, I would imagine, do the majority have much of an appreciation of what is 'Islamic' and what is entirely cultural. To them, they're all 'P***s' and should 'go back to where they came from'. That isn't a criticism of religion, that's an overt attack on the heritage, culture and probably appearance of a certain group of people, who in the UK usually descend from the Indian subcontinent. When you say it like that, it sounds a lot like racism and you can understand why people see it as such.

I understand the point you're making and it is technically correct and relevant in most arenas. However, I don't think that it is a particularly pragmatic point or even helpful when applied to grass-root levels.
Reply 54
Remove the hypocrisy if anyone actually can. I saw an interview with Morgan Freeman on youtube a few months ago were he criticised the government for having a black history month. He said why not have a white history month or a jewish history month? The same could be said in Britain. Look at the police for instance. If you can have a black police officers association why not a white one? The more you highlight skin differences the more present they will be in discussion. In my experience culture and systems of belief are a greater divider of people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeixtYS-P3s

Yeah I saw that.
Someone else posted that before.
Reply 55
Original post by mikeyd85
Kill everyone. :yep:

Suicidal much?! -.-
Reply 56
Original post by Snagprophet
Ze final solution! Remove all other races from the planet!

Can't really put that in my presentation now,can I? =/
Reply 57
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
This is the solution I think had the biggest impact:

254651_139412492813275_100002335768416_248439_7603070_n.jpg

Troll?!?!:unimpressed::troll:
Reply 58
we should have more interracial.......
........... dialogue.
Original post by Heliosphan
This sounds like an argument that Tommy Robinson trots out when people accuse the EDL of being racist :biggrin:

In my opinion, the less well educated members of society don't have an extensive knowledge of the main tenets of Islam. Neither, I would imagine, do the majority have much of an appreciation of what is 'Islamic' and what is entirely cultural. To them, they're all 'P***s' and should 'go back to where they came from'. That isn't a criticism of religion, that's an overt attack on the heritage, culture and probably appearance of a certain group of people, who in the UK usually descend from the Indian subcontinent. When you say it like that, it sounds a lot like racism and you can understand why people see it as such.

I understand the point you're making and it is technically correct and relevant in most arenas. However, I don't think that it is a particularly pragmatic point or even helpful when applied to grass-root levels.

It does not matter whether the less educated and enlightened have conflated South Asian culture and Islam due to a lot of its adherents in this country coming from a South Asian background. The fact of the matter is that Islam is an universal religion and not an ethnic religion which has many people from virtually all racial backgrounds and that any criticism regarding Islam is a criticism of the religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending