The Student Room Group

EPQ help

Hi,

I'm just starting my EPQ ( I had my first lesson today) and I'm unsure as to what my question should be. Could those of you who did an EPQ question relating to medicine tell me what your title was so I could have some inspiration?
Original post by fluffycloud101
Hi,

I'm just starting my EPQ ( I had my first lesson today) and I'm unsure as to what my question should be. Could those of you who did an EPQ question relating to medicine tell me what your title was so I could have some inspiration?

Hi, my HPQ was med-themed, it was something like 'To what extent should the NHS be expected to fund treatment for obesity-related health issues where obesity is 'self-inflcited'? Or something like that. It included discussions about the NHS's capacity to fund treatment in general (with its chronic underfunding), in what cases, if any, obesity is 'self-inflicted', current available treatments and evaluation based on cost per QALY, how costs can be reduced, , the ethics and logistics of other alternatives (e.g. potentially asking obese patients to seek private treatment?), and obviously all the ethical debates about whether treatment ca n be refused based on the illness being 'self-inflicted'. I think medical ethics topics are good ones, and ideally your question should begin with 'to what extent'. You could do topics like racism or discrimination in healthcare (e.g. to what extent are poorer outcomes in BAME patients due to genuine risk factors linked to ethnicity, vs racism and discrimination), any new technologies (e.g. ethics of gene editing?), maybe things about public health, encourage organ/blood donation (e.g. is an opt-out system ethical?), free prescriptions for over 65s (i.e. isi it fair to give free prescriptions based on age rather than clinical need?). You could do one related to media, for example whether media representation of the NHS/hospitals + healthcare is helpful or harmful, or one related to the increase in the amount of online information (Dr Google) and health information (e.g. Fitbits etc), and wteher this is postove or negative. There are loads of good topics in many different areas, but I hope this is a start!
Reply 2
Original post by bea_murray0
Hi, my HPQ was med-themed, it was something like 'To what extent should the NHS be expected to fund treatment for obesity-related health issues where obesity is 'self-inflcited'? Or something like that. It included discussions about the NHS's capacity to fund treatment in general (with its chronic underfunding), in what cases, if any, obesity is 'self-inflicted', current available treatments and evaluation based on cost per QALY, how costs can be reduced, , the ethics and logistics of other alternatives (e.g. potentially asking obese patients to seek private treatment?), and obviously all the ethical debates about whether treatment ca n be refused based on the illness being 'self-inflicted'. I think medical ethics topics are good ones, and ideally your question should begin with 'to what extent'. You could do topics like racism or discrimination in healthcare (e.g. to what extent are poorer outcomes in BAME patients due to genuine risk factors linked to ethnicity, vs racism and discrimination), any new technologies (e.g. ethics of gene editing?), maybe things about public health, encourage organ/blood donation (e.g. is an opt-out system ethical?), free prescriptions for over 65s (i.e. isi it fair to give free prescriptions based on age rather than clinical need?). You could do one related to media, for example whether media representation of the NHS/hospitals + healthcare is helpful or harmful, or one related to the increase in the amount of online information (Dr Google) and health information (e.g. Fitbits etc), and wteher this is postove or negative. There are loads of good topics in many different areas, but I hope this is a start!

Hello there,
I was planning to do my EPQ on something with QALYS my question being ‘Does the allocation of healthcare resources based on QALYS unjustly discriminate against people with disabilities’. Any advice and if it’s okay, can I read your EPQ?
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending