The Student Room Group

Does Newcastle University Have Much Casual Racism?

Hi, thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question and for contributing if you do so. I appreciate that this would be a generalisation but it is a genuine concern.

I'm aware that Newcastle has the highest number of boarding school pupils and one of the highest number of private schools pupils joining each year and is also quite white. I find this a bit unsettling as I come from a very posh and white private school in a small and very white city and I am really hoping to move away from the casual racism which seems to be very prominent in the culture of my school and also other boarding schools and private schools which I've experienced through sporting fixtures, and I don't want to face the same racist jokes and casual racism at uni as well. It's all in good spirit and is meant to humour - deep down nobody is really racist, but the people tend to make racist jokes and use offensive humour a lot because of the lack of diversity and just the culture in general I guess. I do get on with them very well and it might not happen that much but it's still more than I'd like and I'd just prefer to move away from this culture rather than have another 4 years of it at uni as well. My brother is in his second year at Liverpool Uni and insists that it's an issue at these kinds of schools only and not at uni but Liverpool has one of the lowest private school uptakes and I think that might play a big role.

Thank you so much
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
No more than any other uni. it's the first time I am reading about racism issues at Newcastle.
Reply 2
Ok thanks
Original post by Rafsiddiqui
Hi, thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question and for contributing if you do so. I appreciate that this would be a generalisation but it is a genuine concern.

I'm aware that Newcastle has the highest number of boarding school pupils and one of the highest number of private schools pupils joining each year and is also quite white. I find this a bit unsettling as I come from a very posh and white private school in a small and very white city and I am really hoping to move away from the casual racism which seems to be very prominent in the culture of my school and also other boarding schools and private schools which I've experienced through sporting fixtures, and I don't want to face the same racist jokes and casual racism at uni as well. It's all in good spirit and is meant to humour - deep down nobody is really racist, but the people tend to make racist jokes and use offensive humour a lot because of the lack of diversity and just the culture in general I guess. I do get on with them very well and it might not happen that much but it's still more than I'd like and I'd just prefer to move away from this culture rather than have another 4 years of it at uni as well. My brother is in his second year at Liverpool Uni and insists that it's an issue at these kinds of schools only and not at uni but Liverpool has one of the lowest private school uptakes and I think that might play a big role.

Thank you so much

Hi @Rafsiddiqui

It is important to us that our students feel that they are in a safe and inclusive environment where there is no place for racism or racial harassment of any kind in our university. We have a long-standing commitment to social justice, equality, diversity and inclusion and acknowledge there is still much more that needs to be done to achieve permanent positive change and to eliminate racism from our community.

In line with achieving our aims to eliminate racism from our community, we have several mechanisms for reporting racism and support available for those who have experienced or witnessed racism within the university community.

We have policies and procedures in place for those who experience racism whilst they are a student with us. For more information, please visit our Student Wellbeing webpages.

Hope this helps :smile:

Elliott

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending