The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry C2 Help

Hey, so I'm a little confused on how to answer part B and C of this question. I have answered it but I don't think it's right :/

Sulfur is mined in Poland and is brought to Britain in ships. The sulfur is used to make sulfuric acid. Sulfur is burned in air to produce sulfur dioxide. Sulfur dioxide and air are passed over a heated catalyst to produce sulfur trioxide. Water is added to sulfur trioxide to produce sulfuric acid. The reactions are:

S + O2 = SO2

2SO2 + O2 = 2SO3

SO3 + H2O = H2SO4

A/w How many moles of H2SO4 are produced from one mole
Of Sulfur?

B/ Calculate the maximum mass of sulfuric acid that can be produced from 32kg of sulfur.

C/ in an industrial process the mass of sulfuric acid that was produced from 32kg of sulfur was 94.08kg. Use your answer to part B to calculate the percentage yield of the reaction of this process.
You need to form a balanced chemical equation.

Then you work out how many moles 52 KG is sulphur is (mass / Mr).

Then you use your equation to determine the ration if sulphur to sulphuric acid. And multiply your moles of sulphur to get the number of moles of sulphuric acid that could theoretically be produced.

For part C, mass sulphuric acid they say was made by how much could have been made (your answer to part B, in KG, so use moles= mass / Mr). Quote if you need more help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The spelling mistakes there are as a result of typing too quickly on my phone. Sorry, hope it's still readable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
how do u do that
14.00 of ethene is reacted with excess steam.calculate the maximum mass of ethanol that can be produced, assuming 100 percent conversion of reactants to product
does any one know this ?

Quick Reply

Latest