do u think the age for voting should be lowered to 16 at 16 we can legally
pay tax
smoke
have sex
get a full time job
finsish full time education
join a union

so should be be able to vote?

Definitely not for the things you listed, no.

If the age limit is lowered so people are encouraged to become druggies, pregnant, unemployed and abusive at an even younger age, then that definitely is a mockery of the right of "voting".

It should be for constructive purposes only - otherwise let the government decide themselves, least it would be more appropriate than 16 year olds wanting to vote in order to shag and take drugs with an excuse.
Oh my god...today is my 16th birthday and i have just had like 5 hours of exams...and one of the questions was to discuss whether or not we should be given the vote at 16!
kikzen
Hell no.

I agree, and just look at the list of proposed ideas for what 16 year olds would be voting for! It backs up our opinions anyway...
ThornsnRoses
Oh my god...today is my 16th birthday and i have just had like 5 hours of exams...and one of the questions was to discuss whether or not we should be given the vote at 16!

Happy Birthday to both of us then.
Reply 9
no taxation without representation
Reply 10
angel D
can you please justify your opinion

Probably not as articulately as i'd like :smile:

Well, 16 year olds will almost definitely be living at home, and would not have had to fend for themselves before. 16 year olds are too immature, and you could get the monster raving loony party elected. 16 year olds are still growing up, and most don't give a damn who gets elected. Kids might also copy whoever their friends voted for, and not have any political independence.

You have listed a number of things you can do when you're 16, but thats it. You can do them but you may not.
Reply 11
jammyd
Probably not as articulately as i'd like :smile:

Well, 16 year olds will almost definitely be living at home, and would not have had to fend for themselves before. 16 year olds are too immature, and you could get the monster raving loony party elected. 16 year olds are still growing up, and most don't give a damn who gets elected. Kids might also copy whoever their friends voted for, and not have any political independence.

You have listed a number of things you can do when you're 16, but thats it. You can do them but you may not.

yes but i am not asaying that 16s should be for forced to vote just that they should get a choice about wether on not they want to vote
Reply 12
Either taxation starts at 18 or voting is lowered to 16. You cannot tax people without giving them representation in parliament (via voting).
blissy
Either taxation starts at 18 or voting is lowered to 16. You cannot tax people without giving them representation in parliament (via voting).

That is a very good point.

My comment referred to the thread starter's list of priorities - voting purely for the sake of wanting those points on his/her list to be enforced, would be stupid.
The 'too imature' argument isn't really a good one.

If you have an opinions, whether it will change in a couple of years or not you should still be able to vote so that your opinions can be represented.
blissy

Exactly. I'd say that was the principal point on lowering voting age.
Reply 16
I wonder how many 16/17 year olds earn enough to pay income tax.
Reply 17
I voted for the first time ever today actually, it was the Student Union elections.
Reply 18
jammyd
I wonder how many 16/17 year olds earn enough to pay income tax.

National Insurance too. I'd say a fair proportion.
Reply 19
It seems the most often advanced argument for lowering the age of sufferage to 16 is thar 16 year olds can pay tax.

That may be so. But of course, many (probably most) don't. What does this mean? We have to distinguish those that do from those that don't?

And what does paying tax have to do with anything anyway? What about the thousands of stay-at-home moms for example? They don't pay tax. Should their right to sufferage be denied?

Latest

Trending

Trending