do u think the age for voting should be lowered to 16 at 16 we can legally
    pay tax
    smoke
    have sex
    get a full time job
    finsish full time education
    join a union

so should be be able to vote?
    Definitely not for the things you listed, no.

If the age limit is lowered so people are encouraged to become druggies, pregnant, unemployed and abusive at an even younger age, then that definitely is a mockery of the right of "voting".

It should be for constructive purposes only - otherwise let the government decide themselves, least it would be more appropriate than 16 year olds wanting to vote in order to shag and take drugs with an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god...today is my 16th birthday and i have just had like 5 hours of exams...and one of the questions was to discuss whether or not we should be given the vote at 16!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    Hell no.
    I agree, and just look at the list of proposed ideas for what 16 year olds would be voting for! It backs up our opinions anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Oh my god...today is my 16th birthday and i have just had like 5 hours of exams...and one of the questions was to discuss whether or not we should be given the vote at 16!
    Happy Birthday to both of us then.

ReputationRep:
    no taxation without representation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel D)
    can you please justify your opinion
    Probably not as articulately as i'd like

Well, 16 year olds will almost definitely be living at home, and would not have had to fend for themselves before. 16 year olds are too immature, and you could get the monster raving loony party elected. 16 year olds are still growing up, and most don't give a damn who gets elected. Kids might also copy whoever their friends voted for, and not have any political independence.

You have listed a number of things you can do when you're 16, but thats it. You can do them but you may not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Probably not as articulately as i'd like

Well, 16 year olds will almost definitely be living at home, and would not have had to fend for themselves before. 16 year olds are too immature, and you could get the monster raving loony party elected. 16 year olds are still growing up, and most don't give a damn who gets elected. Kids might also copy whoever their friends voted for, and not have any political independence.

You have listed a number of things you can do when you're 16, but thats it. You can do them but you may not.
    yes but i am not asaying that 16s should be for forced to vote just that they should get a choice about wether on not they want to vote

ReputationRep:
    Either taxation starts at 18 or voting is lowered to 16. You cannot tax people without giving them representation in parliament (via voting).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Either taxation starts at 18 or voting is lowered to 16. You cannot tax people without giving them representation in parliament (via voting).
    That is a very good point.

My comment referred to the thread starter's list of priorities - voting purely for the sake of wanting those points on his/her list to be enforced, would be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    The 'too imature' argument isn't really a good one.

If you have an opinions, whether it will change in a couple of years or not you should still be able to vote so that your opinions can be represented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Exactly. I'd say that was the principal point on lowering voting age.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many 16/17 year olds earn enough to pay income tax.

ReputationRep:
    I voted for the first time ever today actually, it was the Student Union elections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    I wonder how many 16/17 year olds earn enough to pay income tax.
    National Insurance too. I'd say a fair proportion.

ReputationRep:
    It seems the most often advanced argument for lowering the age of sufferage to 16 is thar 16 year olds can pay tax.

That may be so. But of course, many (probably most) don't. What does this mean? We have to distinguish those that do from those that don't?

And what does paying tax have to do with anything anyway? What about the thousands of stay-at-home moms for example? They don't pay tax. Should their right to sufferage be denied?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.