The Student Room Group

Routes to take to join NASA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bonoahx
The space industry is very hard to get into in any operational capacity. You could look in the private sector, with companies such as Virgin Galactic. I can see the industry becoming bigger within the next few decades.

As far as I know, most astronauts worked in the military before working with NASA/ESA. But then again, I don't know much about it. You could try to become a pilot in the RAF to get some sort of experience (it would be very basic compared to what flying a spaceship is like, but it's something) whilst the industry grows into something more accessible.

As everyone else has said, it is very hard to get US citizenship proper. The majority of immigrants have temporary visas, and many permanent immigrants were able to become permanent from marrying a US citizen. To get a skill-based permanent visa the employer needs to prove that no American can do the job, which means you'd have to be getting extremely good credentials, and most likely have some sort of experience in the UK (in engineering). You then have to wait five years before you can apply for citizenship through naturalisation, which is when you get a US passport, the right to vote, jury service etc.

After that, you will probably still have problems, unless if you have something that a natural-born citizen doesn't. As it is with most countries, they aren't going to divulge state secrets to anyone, especially as you could be working against them in some way (doubtful, but if UK-US relations suddenly take a turn for the worst then you'd be in trouble).

At your age, I'm guessing this isn't some sort of childhood dream, and you're aware of the determination it requires. Not many people are going to believe you can pull this off, I doubt a connexions advisor will give you tips on how to become an astronaut. But if you have the motivation to spend upwards of twenty years gaining experience to work in the space industry, then feel free.

You could always do that Mars in 2022 thing :tongue:

Since I started this thread I've realised this fact about NASA, an ex-astronaut from NASA told me himself it would be best to try to get into a more local area of the space sector (e.g. ESA or Astrium).

Also, I never said I wanted to be an astronaut. While it would be the most fascinating job possible, being British means I don't have the same opportunities to become an astronaut in comparison to those from the USA who can much more simply join NASA, who puts the most amount of humans in space. I know ESA and private companies have astronauts, but they're much rarer and in a smaller quantity than NASA.

Thank you for your helpful and informative reply. :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Indecisive1
huh...thankyou, but the entry requirements must've gone up from last year. I got AAA and was offered direct second year entry into the masters course (the Scottish uni system has an extra year because of the Scottish high school education system, its all a bit messy).

In regards to what subjects to do for A-level, maths and physics are essential for engineering and physics alike. Further maths would also really help as everything (and I mean everything!) you do in engineering is heavily maths based. You will need to be good at it.

When it comes to apprenticeships, I'm sorry but don't know much. I had never considered it. Maybe talk to your careers advisor about it.

No engineering course requires you to do an engineering A level.
I never did it, I never even did technology at GCSE, and, unlike you, I doubt I could even assemble a desk from IKEA.

The common belief that engineers build and fix things is complete rubbish. That's what a mechanic does.
Engineers apply theoretical knowledge to solve complex physical problems through design and analysis. I have been here in Glasgow almost an entire year and I have never once picked up a spanner or hammered anything.

Most of my time is spent in lecture theaters and tutorial rooms, learning the theory. Which is good, because the theory is really interesting and essential for design applications later on in the degree. I don't even have that many labs to do, and when I do I'm using computer programs.
This year I have analysed the thrust generated by a turbojet, I've done a uniaxial tensile test (basically pulling a bit of metal apart to see how it deforms), I've done some very simple finite element analysis (using a computer to find the stresses and strains on a structure), and created a simulation of a moving double pendulum.

Obviously every course is different and so there may be a bit of boring hands-on work in the first year, and when you do labs, like the turbojet lab I did, you won't be allowed to run it, you'll just calibrate it and look at the results after a lab assistant operates it. The uni doesn't want some first year playing with their shiny new turbojet!
But don't worry, as you get more knowledgeable you'll get to do more interesting labs.

So, after deviating a bit (sorry) I don't think an engineering A-level would be more beneficial, especially if your teachers think that you're oxbridge level. The theory is the most important bit. I did maths, physics and chemistry and I wish I'd done further maths as it would have helped.
If you work your ass off and get high grades in maths, physics and whatever else you're doing you should get in to a good uni just fine.

Thank you very much for giving me an inside idea of what aeronautical engineering is like at university. It sounds very interesting, I find myself at a dilemma (but one which wont matter so much for another year or two) in which I don't know whether to go for physics or aeronautical engineering.

Physics is great but I can see it not giving me relevant experience for the space sector. I assume I'd need very good work experience for any company to even consider me.

Aeronautical engineering also sounds fascinating, in fact a week ago me and my father decided to work on a little project to build an amateur rocket and set it off in a field or somewhere. Obviously I wouldn't know as much as you on this matter, but wouldn't I be more desirable/in higher demand to space related companies if I had an aeronautical engineering degree rather than a physics degree?

I'm sorry if I have said stupid assumptions, I'm in the dark in this situation.
Reply 22
Hi there..
I actually applied for aerospace engineering in Manchester, and during the interview I asked the tutor if there is any possibility to get a job in NASA. He actually said that working in NASA is actually more possible than what people think. He even have a student who make it to work there. You just need to be exceptionally good :smile:
well I really think that engineering is the best path to take :wink:
NASA should be shut down. Wasting money during an economic crisis.
Original post by andersson
I haven't ruled out an engineering degree, am I right to assume you don't need an engineering a level to do it? My teachers have noticed me as a student who could possibly go on to an Oxbridge uni, I'll try my very hardest if that is what it takes.

Side note: It doesn't have to be NASA! Any organisation/agency which specializes in the space industry would be just as amazing.

Thank you all for your responses. :smile:

Southampton and Leicester uni's have space science courses, which turn out people to work in the space industry. I recommend that you look at these, not Oxbridge (my dad works in this field, which is how I know about it).

Astrium is the biggest satellite builder in the UK, but there are a lot of companies doing contract work for the European Space Agency (ESA) and EUMETSAT (the weather satellite organisation). ESA has a Young Scientist programme which is very prestigious but hard to get a place on. ESA and EUMETSAT do most of their work in English, but if you can improve your French, German or Italian, you'll have opportunities to work abroad with European companies, in you want that.
Reply 25
Hello all, I'm a 15 year old aspiring to work in the space industry when I'm older. I've applied for physics, chemistry, maths and further maths courses at sixth form, and I'm hoping to do a course in physics at university.

Does anyone know the routes I will have to take to achieve my goal? I will literally do anything it takes. For me, working for an agency like NASA or SETI would be the most fascinating and rewarding career path available.

I'm really in the dark about how one could get into such a prestigious industry. :frown: If anyone has a good understanding on the matter, please enlighten me!

I can't tell you much you haven't being told in this thread already but i do want to say good luck, this is an industry that is developing rapidly attracting major backing from the worlds richest and could actually change the world so it's a great field to go into and a great time. I love space myself and it's a shame companies weren't springing up a decade ago otherwise i may have actually pushed myself for it (that being said i doubt I've got an affinity for engineering).

The only advise i can give you is that the private sector could be a good bet though depending on what you want to do, academia also (there's a university that has actually begun trying to make anti-matter). In terms of the ESA and NASA primarily this will be about probes (planet finding, rovers on Mars, Jupiter mission) and satellites however if the cutting edge of technology or wider applications are you thing then here a just a few things below...

2 companies wanting to mine asteroids (Planetary Resources is backed by James Cameron and the 2 Google co-founders)
Numerous space tourism ventures (Virgin Galactic)
Missions to Mars (at least 4 that i know of)
Space vehicle development (Space X - Elon Musk is a god, Reactionary technologies - Skylon could be revolutionary)
Space stations (Bigelow)

Hopefully you stay on track and make a difference.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Hi,

I'm an aerospace engineer and an US citizen. I would suggest studying for aerospace/aeronautical engineering, although as you can tell, I'm probably somewhat bias. I think aerospace engineering majors have better job opportunities than physics majors. You can also always change your degree or interest area; I did my undergraduate in mechanical engineering and then did my master's degree and soon my PhD in aerospace engineering. I also honestly don't think it really matters which school you attend for your undergraduates as long you get good grades and get experience through an internship(s) and/or research projects.

If you really want to work for NASA, your best chance to study in the US and get an US citizenship. Almost all of the job announcements I have seen for NASA, or any aerospace job in the US, has US citizenship as a requirement because you need to be able to obtain a classified clearance. I'm not sure on the specifics on becoming an US citizen, but I think you need to live in the US for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. So if you complete your undergraduate and master's, or master's and PhD, it should give sufficient time to meet the time requirement. Studying in the US, especially for a graduate degree will also look good on your application when you're applying for US jobs. Otherwise, it is really tough to work in a different country, such as the US. I wanted to work abroad in Europe for a few years before I settle down, but it's really tough to get a foreign job without any ties to the country where you're trying to find a job in. I eventually had to settle for a job in the US before I got accepted for a PhD at University of London. Ironically, my friend from Spain is trying to find a job in the US and she having very hard time of finding one in the US. But, it's relatively easy to go to school in a different country for a degree and get a job afterwards. I was able to get accepted to University of London without any troubles and I could have gotten into several other UK schools if they had funding available. On the reverse side, many of my friends at University of Illinois were foreign and they were able to study in the US without much trouble either. Few of my foreign friends that have graduate already have been to find jobs in the US.

As many other people noted, UK also has many opportunities too. Astrium/EADS have many aerospace jobs and ESA roughly does same thing NASA does. Really, the only area of research and work the US has over the UK is probably man space flight. Whatever you decide to do, get good grades and try to get as much internship and research experience as possible.
Reply 27
Original post by fudgemuffins

NASA generates more money for the US economy than it takes out. It uses only 1 quarter of a cent out of a tax dollar.
Reply 28
Original post by Andrew3
Hi,

I'm an aerospace engineer and an US citizen. I would suggest studying for aerospace/aeronautical engineering, although as you can tell, I'm probably somewhat bias. I think aerospace engineering majors have better job opportunities than physics majors. You can also always change your degree or interest area; I did my undergraduate in mechanical engineering and then did my master's degree and soon my PhD in aerospace engineering. I also honestly don't think it really matters which school you attend for your undergraduates as long you get good grades and get experience through an internship(s) and/or research projects.

If you really want to work for NASA, your best chance to study in the US and get an US citizenship. Almost all of the job announcements I have seen for NASA, or any aerospace job in the US, has US citizenship as a requirement because you need to be able to obtain a classified clearance. I'm not sure on the specifics on becoming an US citizen, but I think you need to live in the US for 5 years before you can apply for citizenship. So if you complete your undergraduate and master's, or master's and PhD, it should give sufficient time to meet the time requirement. Studying in the US, especially for a graduate degree will also look good on your application when you're applying for US jobs. Otherwise, it is really tough to work in a different country, such as the US. I wanted to work abroad in Europe for a few years before I settle down, but it's really tough to get a foreign job without any ties to the country where you're trying to find a job in. I eventually had to settle for a job in the US before I got accepted for a PhD at University of London. Ironically, my friend from Spain is trying to find a job in the US and she having very hard time of finding one in the US. But, it's relatively easy to go to school in a different country for a degree and get a job afterwards. I was able to get accepted to University of London without any troubles and I could have gotten into several other UK schools if they had funding available. On the reverse side, many of my friends at University of Illinois were foreign and they were able to study in the US without much trouble either. Few of my foreign friends that have graduate already have been to find jobs in the US.

As many other people noted, UK also has many opportunities too. Astrium/EADS have many aerospace jobs and ESA roughly does same thing NASA does. Really, the only area of research and work the US has over the UK is probably man space flight. Whatever you decide to do, get good grades and try to get as much internship and research experience as possible.

Thank you very much. I think moving to a whole different country (a far away one at that!) is too big a risk for me just to try to join NASA when there's a chance I wont be accepted and it's much more complicated for a foreigner like me.

How could I go about getting an internship? Also, out of interest, what was the subject of your PhD?
Reply 29
Original post by Rakas21
Hopefully you stay on track and make a difference.

I'll do my best. Thank you.
NASA generates more money for the US economy than it takes out. It uses only 1 quarter of a cent out of a tax dollar.

How? It's not like they are extracting a precious resource off the moon. They are just wasting money trying to get to some barren planets, when there are billions of mouths to feed on our own planet.
Reply 31
How? It's not like they are extracting a precious resource off the moon. They are just wasting money trying to get to some barren planets, when there are billions of mouths to feed on our own planet.

Space exploration has applications that are used every day. I guarantee you use products that have come directly from space research a lot more often than you would think (unless you've been living in a cave your whole life).

Letting NASA have money means they can work on ways which help space exploration which in turn has benefits for us non-space exploring humans. An example is a shock absorbing foam created by NASA for astronauts in the intention of increased safety and comfort when they are under extreme G-forces. This foam has been put in helmets we use today; think of all the lives that have been saved because of this. That example is one of many, many others.

I agree that world hunger is a tragedy and one which must be solved. However, the US government spends more than thirty times more money on war related things per year (e.g. defense and military) than what it puts towards NASA. If people would stop focusing on murdering each other and instead on increasing the life quality of others and advancing humanity as a civilisation everyone would be a lot happier.

The question shouldn't be "Why are we funding NASA?", it should be "Why aren't we funding NASA [that much]?"
Reply 32
Thank you very much. I think moving to a whole different country (a far away one at that!) is too big a risk for me just to try to join NASA when there's a chance I wont be accepted and it's much more complicated for a foreigner like me.

How could I go about getting an internship? Also, out of interest, what was the subject of your PhD?

I would suggest looking at engineering company websites and seeing if they offer any internships or contact them about it. Also, when you start your undergraduate, your university should have a career/counseling service that you can ask about available internships. If your university has any guest speakers from engineering companies, make sure you ask them about internship opportunities. If you also happen to know anyone that works for a company that does engineering work, you can ask them if there is any internships available at their company. I would suggest looking as earlier as possible because internships are really competitive and companies generally offer them through out the year. Even though most internships are gear towards university students, you still have chance to get one if your still in high school.

I'm planning to do my PhD on improving the efficiency of fan blades in either turbofan jet engines or tidal tubines. But, I would like to do research on hypersonic flight or high-temperature gas dynamics some day, but it greatly depends upon what jobs are available.
Reply 33

Do you have any idea how useful many of the satellites we have are? Many were made by NASA (the older ones especially).

Even today missions like looking for other planets via Kepler are yielding massive results (hell we've even found a planet at Alpha Centuri). Is finding alien life or another habitable world not worthy of a few billion dollars.
Original post by Rakas21
Do you have any idea how useful many of the satellites we have are? Many were made by NASA (the older ones especially).

Even today missions like looking for other planets via Kepler are yielding massive results (hell we've even found a planet at Alpha Centuri). Is finding alien life or another habitable world not worthy of a few billion dollars.

No it isn't. And it's 18 billion dollars, not just 'a few'.

Our planet is coming towards it's end anyway, so there isn't much we can do even if we manage to find alien life in the next 50 years. With global warming, depleting natural resources etc, surely mankind would be better off if that money was used to solve some real issues. If nothing else, it would certainly help pay off that massive US national debt.
Reply 35

Our planet is coming towards it's end anyway, so there isn't much we can do even if we manage to find alien life in the next 50 years. With global warming, depleting natural resources etc, surely mankind would be better off if that money was used to solve some real issues. If nothing else, it would certainly help pay off that massive US national debt.

End!

Okay, global warming may potentially be bad but it's not going to kill us all. We are only depleting currently recoverable natural resources and ventures like Planetary Resources are addressing that anyway.

These are real life things, the human race should never limit itself just because of a few problems elsewhere.
Reply 36

Please stop forgetting how much the world's countries spend on the military. They spent 1.7 trillion US dollars in 2010. NASA really, truly isn't the problem here. It does far more good than it does bad, while the military only does bad (killing fellow human beings, I mean, what?!). I'm aware they're necessary for protection, but the fact that there's a need for protection from our own species shows how messed up we humans are.

I wish we could all stop killing each other and focus on sorting out the mess we've created on Earth and then on advancing through the Kardashev scale as a race.

You're views are entirely your own and although I hold completely different views I respect them anyway.

But why?

Why even bother putting such a pointless obnoxious comment on a thread that is dedicated entirely to people who are interested in space travel?
Are you just trying to piss people off or do you have this unyielding urge to force your opinions on people who don't want to hear them?

You obviously think that space travel is a waste of time at the moment, but this 15 year old kid who dreams of doing something phenomenal with his life obviously doesn't!
He's on here looking for advice from people who know what they're talking about and who can actually help him out with this big decision.

But what are you doing?

You're just wasting his time and everybody else's by starting an argument where nobody wanted one!

'If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all'

That you think firing rockets into space is the only thing NASA does shows you know absolutely nothing about what it does.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
You should consider joining SpaceX. If you haven't heard of it, it's a private rocket company founded by a very interesting man called Elon Musk. SpaceX is trying to revolutionise the cost of spaceflight with a long term goal of a manned mission to Mars. In the meantime, it is contracted by Nasa for ISS re-supply missions.

http://www.spacex.com/careers.php

Well worth googling Elon Musk and Space X to get a feel for what they're doing which NASA never managed to achieve..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending