The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

Still haven't found accommodation for my second year

I've just finished my first year at uni and have been commuting from home. My plans were to move into accommodation for the second year, but around the time most people started to look for/secure their accommodation, I didn't have the money to do so. I've been spending a lot of time looking for house shares online recently (rightmove, student cribs etc...) but as it's so late, ones within walking distance to my campus are pretty much all booked up. I've done things like apply to waiting lists and make enquiries but I fear I won't have any luck with it. Any personal experiences on finding last-minute accommodation or tips on what to do would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by rubyhesketh
I've just finished my first year at uni and have been commuting from home. My plans were to move into accommodation for the second year, but around the time most people started to look for/secure their accommodation, I didn't have the money to do so. I've been spending a lot of time looking for house shares online recently (rightmove, student cribs etc...) but as it's so late, ones within walking distance to my campus are pretty much all booked up. I've done things like apply to waiting lists and make enquiries but I fear I won't have any luck with it. Any personal experiences on finding last-minute accommodation or tips on what to do would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Perhaps you need to extend your search radius beyond "walking distance to my campus" and consider those that might be a short bus ride away?
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Does your university have accommodation Facebook pages or something similar on Facebook. Sometimes people drop out of their accommodation and advertise rooms going spare on these. You could ring the university accommodation office and ask if they are aware of such Facebook groups if you don't know any. You could ask the accommodation office if anyone has dropped out of anything in terms of student accommodation that they are aware of and ask where you could advertise for something. You could contact all the letting agents/landlords who tend to deal with student accommodation and ask if they know of any students still looking for someone to join them and ask them to let you know if they become aware of anything. I would keep ringing student letting agents regularly and search daily.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by rubyhesketh

Hey @rubyhesketh,

I'd definitely join some of the accommodation social media pages (the facebook ones for PPQ and JL/EC seem quite active!) if you can, as people might also post in there about people dropping out of their house shares. It sounds silly, but it might also be worth asking any of your course mates if they have any spare rooms in their houses, or know of any friends who've got space in a houseshare - obviously I'd recommend speaking with anyone you're planning to live with ahead of time just to make sure you get along! I'd also take a look at other accommodation providers than CLV (e.g. Sanctuary Students, True Student, Riverside etc), as they definitely exist and are based within walking distance/near the 50 bus route of the uni!

I agree with what DataVenia has mentioned below too - take a look at where the 50 bus route goes, and see if there are any house shares in those areas around Salford, as if its a short walk to the 50 bus its a free ride to university!

I'd also look on Manchester Student Homes - they have a student message board area of their site that might be helpful in finding housemates!

All the best - let me know if we can help any further!
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending