The Student Room Group

Should I retake M1?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
You don't need
90%?

I'm in yr11 atm, got 96 in C1 and 85 in M1. Doing C2-4 S1 in June. Should I resit because of M1 :s-smilie: I'm expecting 95+ in the core modules.

The majority of people who are accepted in to cambridge for maths have 90-100% in AS maths modules.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
The majority of people who are acceptet in to cambridge for maths have 90-100% in AS maths modules.

Who.mentioned applying for maths?

Cambridge make it clear they want 90+, though this is an average for the subject rather than every unit
Original post by TenOfThem
Cambridge make it clear they want 90+, though this is an average for the subject rather than every unit

I have 90.5% then so far... And I expect all my cores to be higher.

Oh well, Cambridge isn't the be all and end all.
Reply 24
On a slightly unrelated note, as a current year 13 student, I wish current year 12 Further Maths students or aspiring further mathematicians good luck with 6 maths modules in June only. I think the new exam reform is really harsh on further mathematicians and I hope you guys get lower grade boundaries because it is not fair for exam boards to punish those who want to Further maths.
Original post by jqian
On a slightly unrelated note, as a current year 13 student, I wish current year 12 Further Maths students or aspiring further mathematicians good luck with 6 maths modules in June only. I think the new exam reform is really harsh on further mathematicians and I hope you guys get lower grade boundaries because it is not fair for exam boards to punish those who want to Further maths.

If people are genuine FM students then this should not really be an issue for them

Dude you asked why someone would re.sit yo get 90+ I answered your question....
Original post by jqian

If people are genuine FM students then this should not really be an issue for them

Maths will not be affected... I actually think doing all the modules at once is beneficial.
Reply 28

Maybe, if all they did was Further maths and one science and one arts subject. However, if they did Further maths and 3 sciences then a lot of people would struggle to do well in all 4 subjects. It also depends on the modules that they take, taking m1 and m2 together and s1 and s2 together would almost certainly make it easier.
Original post by IShouldBeRevising_
Dude you asked why someone would re.sit yo get 90+ I answered your question....

But they're not applying for maths. I asked why in this context.
Reply 30
Original post by TheBeesKnees
I've got my results back from my January units and I got 96 for C1 and C2 and 73 for M1. This averages out to be 88%, which is an A. However, I don't know whether I should retake the 73 in M1 in the summer for a higher grade as I know I can do better.

However, I also have another 3 modules to take in the summer (FP1, S1 and M2), as well as 3 other subject exams so do you think it would be more worthwhile to spend more time on these and just forget about M1 as these units will be hard.

Would be great to hear your opinions - resit deadline is tomorrow!

Just retake it but don't study for it if you aren't too fussed
Reply 31
Original post by natninja
Just retake it but don't study for it if you aren't too fussed

Surely that would look really bad on my record if it shows I've done a retake but not done much better/worse?

Quick Reply

Latest