The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Term Dates

The Bristol website says the Autumn 2013/2014 term starts on September 23rd. Does anyone know if this is when lectures etc. start or is it the start of freshers week? If it is the latter, what is the earliest we can move in to our accommodation?

Reply 1
That should be the start of freshers week, I'm not 100% sure on that as they are changing the timetable to fit in more work before Christmas, but the 23rd is already a week earlier than it was the last couple of years. It's likely you'll move into your accommodation on the 21st or 22nd, you'll get more details once you get an offer of accommodation - it does vary depending on where you end up, some halls are much stricter on move-in dates than others.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Stormbreaker7
The Bristol website says the Autumn 2013/2014 term starts on September 23rd. Does anyone know if this is when lectures etc. start or is it the start of freshers week? If it is the latter, what is the earliest we can move in to our accommodation?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/academicregistry/office/almanac these are the official dates for 2013/2014 :P
Reply 3
Original post by hazel.red.leaf
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/academicregistry/office/almanac these are the official dates for 2013/2014 :P

:O 13 week term.... why does it have to get so much longer this year?
Original post by KAB1010101
:O 13 week term.... why does it have to get so much longer this year?

It's 12 weeks studying actually, as from 23rd to 30th September we're not gonna study, only paartyy :biggrin:

Well, this year the first term was shorter and the first teaching block ended somewhere in the end of January. So next year they are planning to fit the teaching block into the first term, and that's why we're starting earlier. :smile:
Reply 5
It's 12 weeks studying actually, as from 23rd to 30th September we're not gonna study, only paartyy :biggrin:

Well, this year the first term was shorter and the first teaching block ended somewhere in the end of January. So next year they are planning to fit the teaching block into the first term, and that's why we're starting earlier. :smile:

Yeah true :P

Oh right, so Bristol are doing what other universities are doing, fitting first term in before Christmas like an American semester.
Yeah true :P

Oh right, so Bristol are doing what other universities are doing, fitting first term in before Christmas like an American semester.

I didn't know that's what Americans do, but I guess you are right. Anyway, I don't have a problem with staying in Bristol for 13 weeks instead of 11, but I'd love it if they tell us in advance when the exam period in January will be, I want to go home for Christmas, but if I have to get back two weeks or less later, there's no point. Uh, so many questions. :biggrin:
Reply 7
I didn't know that's what Americans do, but I guess you are right. Anyway, I don't have a problem with staying in Bristol for 13 weeks instead of 11, but I'd love it if they tell us in advance when the exam period in January will be, I want to go home for Christmas, but if I have to get back two weeks or less later, there's no point. Uh, so many questions. :biggrin:

Yeah, apparently more and more english universities are trying to split university terms into two semesters to make it easier for American exchange programmes :smile:

Neither do I really, since i live very close to Bristol already :P

I'd imagine we get at least 3 weeks for Christmas...so you should be able to...is home far away?
Yeah, apparently more and more english universities are trying to split university terms into two semesters to make it easier for American exchange programmes :smile:

Neither do I really, since i live very close to Bristol already :P

I'd imagine we get at least 3 weeks for Christmas...so you should be able to...is home far away?

I hope so! Yeah, home is Bulgaria, 3 hours flight, eh. :biggrin:
Reply 9
I hope so! Yeah, home is Bulgaria, 3 hours flight, eh. :biggrin:

Ooooh exciting, which accommodation do you hope to get? can you stay in it over christmas then? (if you decided it wasn't worth going home?)
Ooooh exciting, which accommodation do you hope to get? can you stay in it over christmas then? (if you decided it wasn't worth going home?)

Probably St Michaels Street/Park (poor me is poor :biggrin:), or if I'm lucky, The Hawthorns. I think you can stay during holidays in all halls and houses, so I don't think that would be a problem. But I just suppose I'd be too nostalgic and I'd love to be with my family and friends on Christmas and New Year's Eve.
Reply 11
23rd is the Monday of Freshers' Week. You will be able to move in from 22nd of September, although if you get in touch with the Hall of Residence beforehand you may be able to arrange moving in earlier, at some additional cost. A number of international students move in before the official moving-in date.
Reply 12
Original post by pl1422
23rd is the Monday of Freshers' Week. You will be able to move in from 22nd of September, although if you get in touch with the Hall of Residence beforehand you may be able to arrange moving in earlier, at some additional cost. A number of international students move in before the official moving-in date.

It's normally the Saturday which is the moving in date, so moving in day is probably 21st
Reply 13
Original post by themango
It's normally the Saturday which is the moving in date, so moving in day is probably 21st

The last two years it has been the Sunday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending