The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan

Hi! I am an EU student, studying business management with HR at NTU. I'm currently going into my fourth year at the university, last year was a placement year for me. I fall under the EU Scheme (I came to the UK in August 2020 and started uni in October 2020) and I wasn't eligible for a maintenance loan during my placement year due to that.
I know that I need to have a migrant worker status and get a part-time job in order to apply for a maintenance loan.
My placement was fixed term from July 2022 to July 2023. In July it got extended until August 31st, but I was working in a different position (2 months of training another person and doing a take over as in July 2023 another placement student was hired in my place, I’ve also completed all the placement forms and objectives in June 2023), therefore I was working full time in July and August 2023. I also got hired for a part-time work, but I did my first shift at work on September 15th as I wasn’t needed before that.
Would I be eligible for a Maintenance Loan as I was working full time until August 31st and now I’ve got a part-time job?
Please do let me know, thanks
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by natpe22
Hi! I am an EU student, studying business management with HR at NTU. I'm currently going into my fourth year at the university, last year was a placement year for me. I fall under the EU Scheme (I came to the UK in August 2020 and started uni in October 2020) and I wasn't eligible for a maintenance loan during my placement year due to that.
I know that I need to have a migrant worker status and get a part-time job in order to apply for a maintenance loan.
My placement was fixed term from July 2022 to July 2023. In July it got extended until August 31st, but I was working in a different position (2 months of training another person and doing a take over as in July 2023 another placement student was hired in my place, I’ve also completed all the placement forms and objectives in June 2023), therefore I was working full time in July and August 2023. I also got hired for a part-time work, but I did my first shift at work on September 15th as I wasn’t needed before that.
Would I be eligible for a Maintenance Loan as I was working full time until August 31st and now I’ve got a part-time job?
Please do let me know, thanks

Hi there, does your course start in September 23? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi, my course starts September 25th 2023
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by natpe22
Hi, my course starts September 25th 2023

Thank you. To qualify for the full year you'd need to be in employment by the 1st of September. Otherwise it would be for terms 2 and 3 you'd be eligible for the funding only. I know you mentioned changing jobs but were you in employment on the 1st of September? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Yes so I was in employment all August until 31st of August, then I was employed but I dont have guaranteed hours so I had my first shift 15th September as I wasnt needed earlier on
Original post by natpe22
Yes so I was in employment all August until 31st of August, then I was employed but I dont have guaranteed hours so I had my first shift 15th September as I wasnt needed earlier on

Sorry, was it the same company or did this change and if so, on your new employment when on the contract does it state your first day working there was? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Yes so I was with one company until the end of August and then I signed another contract with a different company. My new contract has a different date than my first shift so I’m not sure when they put me in to the system as a starter
Original post by natpe22
Yes so I was with one company until the end of August and then I signed another contract with a different company. My new contract has a different date than my first shift so I’m not sure when they put me in to the system as a starter

It would need to state the 1st of September to qualify for funding for term 1. The reason being is that's classed as the first day of the academic year and you'd need to be working on that exact date to qualify for term 1. You can always upload your evidence and previous evidence including your P45 for the Migrant Worker team to review this but based on guidelines the above would be the likely outcome. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
What happens if my paper contract has August date on it but the company puts a later date as a start date due to the fact that my first shift was 15th September? Would I still qualify or not? If my contract has August date
Original post by natpe22
What happens if my paper contract has August date on it but the company puts a later date as a start date due to the fact that my first shift was 15th September? Would I still qualify or not? If my contract has August date

Yes, if its a date before the 1st of September you'd qualify for this. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending