The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
By the way guys what are all of you planning to take for A Levels? :smile:
Edited the document to include no pictures. Can't include pictures as its sensitive information I'm afraid.
I was wondering how you would go about asking for like a long term placement? I always feel awkward asking about it :s-smilie: Luckily now I have started doing work experience I seem to be better at speaking to people I don't know :biggrin:
Original post by MonMon

I've chosen to take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, boring I know! Nearly took French instead of Physics (ideally wanted to do the 5 but it's compulsory to do General Studies at my school, so they said I would have the time 😪 ) but decided that if vet med fails, I would enjoy studying medical physics 😌 what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sent, let me know if you can understand it.. :smile:
Reply 445
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Why don't they want you back? Is it because of insurance or whatever? :frown: Hopefully the people that know you will be able to persuade them! :biggrin: And it was no problem, anything for a fellow vet hopeful :h:

Haha well it's not that they don't want me back. The vets and staff at the clinic are all very nice and caring and wanted me to stay and tried to persuade the bosses against the decision. But the bosses decided to let me go because I was under 16 and it would be affected with insurance and the employees would need to be scroll-checked etc but it wasn't just me there were a few of us all because we were under 16. Thus the bosses seem okay with me coming back when I'm 16 they've sent me a letter and all that :smile: aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 446
Original post by skatealexia
Sent, let me know if you can understand it.. :smile:

Did you get my two addresses? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 447
Original post by Hollyheartsgoats
I was wondering how you would go about asking for like a long term placement? I always feel awkward asking about it :s-smilie: Luckily now I have started doing work experience I seem to be better at speaking to people I don't know :biggrin:

Well mines were by coincidence I thought I was going to do it for X number of weeks but they just said do you want to come back again and so it just developed into a weekly thing plus I enjoy it so I don't say no :smile: but I wouldn't do too many things as a long term because it does narrow precious time for other experiences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 448
Original post by MonMon

I'm taking highers :smile: :
English
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Geography :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Well mines were by coincidence I thought I was going to do it for X number of weeks but they just said do you want to come back again and so it just developed into a weekly thing plus I enjoy it so I don't say no :smile: but I wouldn't do too many things as a long term because it does narrow precious time for other experiences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you :smile: Thanks for the advice :smile: I'd like to do one on say a saturday or something though because then I don't have to just wait until the holidays :biggrin: I'll be sad when next weeks over 'cause then I have to wait until summer to do more :frown:
Original post by MonMon

These aren't definite decisions, but I'd like to do biology, chemistry, maths and physics. :smile:

Original post by skatealexia
Edited the document to include no pictures. Can't include pictures as its sensitive information I'm afraid.

Fair enough. :smile:

Similarly to Canine, I asked for a week and they asked me back! :tongue: Maybe you could ask for a LT placement in your cover letter, but mention that you'd be willing to do a week's 'trial' so that they can see how you are. :smile:
Reply 451

I sent out a lot of long term placement emails out today :biggrin: and actually one let me do it. Basically, the way I did it was email places asking for a regular week's work experience in the summer (that's when they're booked up so they're unlikely to have places), I genuinely wanted that week's work experience, but then she told me that I couldn't do it because they've all been filled. So I sent out another email, asking whether I could do a longer term placement, just one day or afternoon a week and told them how beneficial it would be for me as the vets schools appreciate it more and in general I don't have any holiday's free for a week. And a small animal vets near me agreed :biggrin:
Reply 452
Oh and as for my A levels, I decided to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. I chose Physics at first, but then I realised I would literally drive myself insance if I did that, and English has always been my best and favourite subject seemed kinda sad to drop it :smile:
These aren't definite decisions, but I'd like to do biology, chemistry, maths and physics. :smile:

Fair enough. :smile:

Similarly to Canine, I asked for a week and they asked me back! :tongue: Maybe you could ask for a LT placement in your cover letter, but mention that you'd be willing to do a week's 'trial' so that they can see how you are. :smile:

That's a good idea! :smile: Next week when I'm at the vets at the end of the week I might mention a long term placement and see what they say, I guess there's no harm in asking:smile:
My poor pets have had a rotten day today. :tongue: Vet earlier, and just now I gave them all a drop of ivermectin :redface:
Original post by MonMon
I sent out a lot of long term placement emails out today :biggrin: and actually one let me do it. Basically, the way I did it was email places asking for a regular week's work experience in the summer (that's when they're booked up so they're unlikely to have places), I genuinely wanted that week's work experience, but then she told me that I couldn't do it because they've all been filled. So I sent out another email, asking whether I could do a longer term placement, just one day or afternoon a week and told them how beneficial it would be for me as the vets schools appreciate it more and in general I don't have any holiday's free for a week. And a small animal vets near me agreed :biggrin:

Thank you so much! I'll try that, but maybe after the summer because I have a feeling they might say come back when your 16, and I can then say I'll be 16 in february! Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 456
That's a good idea! :smile: Next week when I'm at the vets at the end of the week I might mention a long term placement and see what they say, I guess there's no harm in asking:smile:

Yeah :smile: they may ask you themselves! Make a good impression and your bound to get a yes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
My poor pets have had a rotten day today. :tongue: Vet earlier, and just now I gave them all a drop of ivermectin :redface:

Aww at least they won't get mites :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 458
Thank you so much! I'll try that, but maybe after the summer because I have a feeling they might say come back when your 16, and I can then say I'll be 16 in february! Thank you :biggrin:

Oh yeah haha! Completely forgot you're not 16 yet, but yeah definitely try that sometime :biggrin: and hope it goes well for you!
Reply 459
Original post by MonMon

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French. I'll most likely drop French after AS. What are you taking? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending