The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fate16
Hey guys! Im having an interview in a few days with a vet for my work experience and ill be getting a short questionaire but i have no idea what theyre gonna ask. Does anyone know what they might ask or had an interview themselves before veterinary work experience? Thanks:smile:

I've never had one, but my guess is that they'll ask how comfortable you are with watching surgery, euthanasia etc? Maybe they'll ask about what you've seen/done in the past and what you hope to get out of your placement there? I don't think it will be a proper formal interview thing; if they've asked you to come then chances are they'll give you a placement :tongue:
Reply 1621
Original post by Fate16
Hey guys! Im having an interview in a few days with a vet for my work experience and ill be getting a short questionaire but i have no idea what theyre gonna ask. Does anyone know what they might ask or had an interview themselves before veterinary work experience? Thanks:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya,
I had an interview for one of my vet placements, as far as I can remember it was quite informal, mainly asking what I wanted to get out of the placement, what I was applying for, previous experience I think. Then I had a tour and was told what to wear/when to start etc. I can't remember much of it to be honest but I know it was nothing to worry about, just standard things so that they could have a better idea of what I needed from my experience.
Reply 1622
Been lurking here for a week now, time to write something!:wink:

Got home from holiday last Tuesday and been working ever since! Right now I have 5 ongoing placements, for three more weeks at least! Love working so much but it gets exhausting working 6-9 hours every day:tongue:

Nice to see others have a lot to do as well! Must be frustrating to wait for the exams results! When will you get them?

Hope everyone are enjoying their holiday:biggrin:
Reply 1623
Hey I want to be a vet. I only have one weeks work experience at a small vets and in going to volunteer at the cats protection once a week. I live in scotland and I was wondering if anyone knows any dairy farms that would be happy for me to come for work experience? I'm also a bit worried about when I'm going to do lambing experience because I will be revising for my higher exams in my Easter holidays. If you have done lambing experience when is the best time to go? How did you fit it around exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still having an awesome time at the vet :biggrin: . Not anything especially spectacular in surgery today, just some castrations and dentals, but tomorrow we're doing reconstructive surgery on a tortoise! :biggrin:

Original post by Tyri
Been lurking here for a week now, time to write something!:wink:

Got home from holiday last Tuesday and been working ever since! Right now I have 5 ongoing placements, for three more weeks at least! Love working so much but it gets exhausting working 6-9 hours every day:tongue:

Nice to see others have a lot to do as well! Must be frustrating to wait for the exams results! When will you get them?

Hope everyone are enjoying their holiday:biggrin:

5!? Good for you :biggrin:! You sound like a right workaholic :lol:! Glad to hear that you're enjoying it :smile: .

GCSE results come on the 22nd of August. I literally have no clue what to expect, but I'm trying not to worry at the moment because what's done is done and fretting won't change it :tongue: !

Original post by Tiffanya
Hey I want to be a vet. I only have one weeks work experience at a small vets and in going to volunteer at the cats protection once a week. I live in scotland and I was wondering if anyone knows any dairy farms that would be happy for me to come for work experience? I'm also a bit worried about when I'm going to do lambing experience because I will be revising for my higher exams in my Easter holidays. If you have done lambing experience when is the best time to go? How did you fit it around exams?

Hi Tiffanya, welcome to the thread! :hi:

It sounds like you've made a good start, work experience wise, keep up the good work :smile: ! I'm afraid I live in London so I wouldn't know any places that you could try, but there a few Scots on here (CanineVet, Hollyheartsgoats, chaarlotte...), and perhaps if you send them a polite PM they may be willing to point you in the right direction. I haven't done lambing yet either, but as pretty much everyone is in the same boat I think fitting revision around work experience is something that we all have to contend with. I'd imagine, in that case, that the best time to go would be as early as possible, as that way you'll still have some time before your exams.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1625
Ok thank you I will do that! 😊 when does lambing start? I can't really find much about it on the Internet, except that its in spring! I have heard that some farmers start as early as February, does it just depend on the farmer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thank you I will do that! 😊 when does lambing start? I can't really find much about it on the Internet, except that its in spring! I have heard that some farmers start as early as February, does it just depend on the farmer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it tends to be February-May, with most being March/April. But yeah, it will vary between farms :yep: .
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1627
Calling all the girls- I've been told to wear 'smart/casual' with black trousers for my SA w/e next week, but not sure what kind of black trousers to wear and what shoes to wear with them?! (don't want to look like a complete numpty!) Aghh wellies and waterproof trousers are so much easier :wink:
Reply 1628
For my work experience I just wore black school trousers and black school shoes, I wore a nice tshirt but I got a top to put over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1629
For my work experience I just wore black school trousers and black school shoes, I wore a nice tshirt but I got a top to put over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, we only had skirts for school so I think I'll have to and buy a pair of trousers...:frown:
Original post by ABC05
Calling all the girls- I've been told to wear 'smart/casual' with black trousers for my SA w/e next week, but not sure what kind of black trousers to wear and what shoes to wear with them?! (don't want to look like a complete numpty!) Aghh wellies and waterproof trousers are so much easier :wink:

I've been to two vets, at one I wore school trousers and shoes and at the other I've been a bit more casual (black trainers). My recommendation would be to dress smart on the first day, then when you see what other people are wearing you can judge how to dress for the rest of the week :smile:
Original post by ABC05

In terms of black trousers, they are referring to smart trousers, so not your black jogging bottoms with a stripe down the side. Some smart black jeans would probably be fine, but I personally wear work-style trousers. I picked up some cheap ones from Peacocks for a £10, but Primark and supermarkets might do ones for £10 or less too. Remember they are going to get covered in fur / fluids / etc. so I prefer to wear some I'm not too precious about getting dirty.

As for shoes, either wear your black school shoes or some black trainers. You will be standing up a lot, so make sure they are comfy! Other neutral colours would be fine too if you don't have any black ones.

Hope this helps! Bet you will enjoy your placement :smile:
Reply 1632
Hey, I was thinking about doing work experience at a small vets every Saturday. I've started a letter saying my name and age etc and that I want to be a vet and why, I have also mentioned that I enjoyed observing operations and consultations at a previous placement. Does anyone have any other ideas or tips on what I could include? I really don't want a rejection! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I was thinking about doing work experience at a small vets every Saturday. I've started a letter saying my name and age etc and that I want to be a vet and why, I have also mentioned that I enjoyed observing operations and consultations at a previous placement. Does anyone have any other ideas or tips on what I could include? I really don't want a rejection! 😊

That sounds fab, a long term placement will be awesome :yep: .

It sounds as if you've included pretty much everything. Maybe mention your GCSE predictions and the A-Level subjects you wish to take?
Reply 1634
Thanks that's a good idea! I loved my last placement, I even missed going there when it was over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks that's a good idea! I loved my last placement, I even missed going there when it was over.

If you PM your letter to me I'd be happy to proof read it if you want :h: Feel free to omit names, schools etc. You don't have to, just saying that the offer's there :smile:

Tell me about it, some of my placements that were supposed to last a week have become long term placements because I couldn't bear to go :lol:
Reply 1636
Haha I just loved being there everyone was so lovely. There is a grooming place there too and they let me bring in my dog for a bath!

Oh thanks, everyone is really friendly on here hehe. I have only roughly written it out, but that would be great if I could send you it when it's done. I'm going to wait until next week to do it because then I will get my results so I can just put the actual ones on the letter. ( even though my expected results may be better ahah).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1637
Another one here happy to proof read :smile: Glad your placement was fab Tiffanya, and it's great that you want to go back!
Haha I just loved being there everyone was so lovely. There is a grooming place there too and they let me bring in my dog for a bath!

Oh thanks, everyone is really friendly on here hehe. I have only roughly written it out, but that would be great if I could send you it when it's done. I'm going to wait until next week to do it because then I will get my results so I can just put the actual ones on the letter. ( even though my expected results may be better ahah).

Aww, that's so sweet :tongue: . Is that your little doggie in your avatar?

That sounds sensible, I'm going to be sending out a few letters after results day as well :yep: . Fingers crossed your results are awesome :biggrin:
Reply 1639
Yeah I have a bichon frise called Lola. She is chewing a stuck on my bed right now arrrghh, she is so silly!

I hope that for everyone's results! I know I haven't got all ones because I know I have a 2 for art unless they think my painting is a master piece, but I doubt that! Art isn't really important though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending