Engilsh language and lit
Maths
RS-philosophy and ethics
German
Geography
Product design
Engineering

I'm hoping to be a mechanical engineer when I'm older and so I am
hoping to do well in all subjects but especially maths and physics.
My maths teacher says I am on track at the moment to getting A or A* but in physics tests I am getting results around 70% I haven't started gcse's yet and we are doing linear exams when I do. Working at 70% now would I be able to get A or A* in physics?
Reply 1
You're very similar to me. Im in Year 11 at the moment, these are my GCSE options
English Lang & Lit
Maths
Triple Science
RS
French
Geography
Product Design
Music
ICT

I want to be a Pilot, so obviously I have to focus on my Maths and Physics too. Since I am in set 1 for maths, we all completed our GCSE's a year early (2 A*'s thank you very much :tongue:), meaning we're now doing a different course called the FSMQ which is basically the first few bits of A-Level.
In our mock exams, Physics was by far my best out of the sciences, with 148/180 (two exams, 96/120, 52/60), but I remember when I was in Year 9, I was a bit down on my Physics too, getting high B's low A's. What happened? I realised how much I wanted to be a pilot, and therefore how hard I had to work at my exams.
So my advice is, everytime you have a test or exam, just think how getting a good result would affect your life in the long term, I admit, Im a straight A student, but I wasn't a few years ago, and my preticed grades are (including my maths ive already completed) 5 A*'s, 5 A's, 3 B's

So I wish you luck in your GCSE's :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks Sam, have you got any revision tips e.g. past papers or mind maps?
Reply 3
It depends what exam board your school is on. We're on the edexcel certificate in science, so I would get past papers from there. Actual revision tips, erm. I make flashcards mainly and read through them every now and again so it get planted into my brain, but I can't suggest anything to you as it depends on the person.
Original post by Dave1999
Hi I'm in year 9.
My Gcse options are
Separate science
Engilsh language and lit
Maths
RS-philosophy and ethics
German
Geography
Product design
Engineering

My maths teacher says I am on track at the moment to getting A or A* but in physics tests I am getting results around 70% I haven't started gcse's yet and we are doing linear exams when I do. Working at 70% now would I be able to get A or A* in physics?

It sounds like it could be your exam technique rather than your knowledge. Have you tried speaking to your teacher or looking at mark schemes or past papers/answers? And do you know your theory well or are you relying on your maths to solve some of the answers?
Hi I'm in year 9.
My Gcse options are
Separate science
Engilsh language and lit
Maths
RS-philosophy and ethics
German
Geography
Product design
Engineering

I wouldn't worry a huge amount if you're only getting 70% in Year 9. Apart from the fact that you've got another 2 years to improve until your actual exams, the style of questions in GCSE papers is often different to those in KS3 and you will be spending a lot of time on exam technique. Also bear in mind that, depending on which exam board and exams you take, a raw mark of 70% could easily convert into an A (such as with the new AQA science spec).
Reply 6
My schools science board for gcse is OCR I'm not sure if it is gateway or 21st century though. I revised for my 1st chemistry test using a past paper and I got 92% so I think that is my preferred type of revision. My current topic is forces so I'm hoping to get 80-100% when it comes round to the test I will ask my teacher for a past paper when it comes to revision.
Reply 7
Does anyone know about OCR's mark conversion?
Original post by Sam596
the FSMQ which is basically the first few bits of A-Level.

I know its the wrong thread but which one are you doing, and when is it because I've got an A* in Maths already and am the only one in my year to do so, so I have to organise everything myself. I want to do something because I'm doing Maths and F. Maths at A level so want to get an extra qualification.

Reply 9
Original post by dandaman7771
I know its the wrong thread but which one are you doing, and when is it because I've got an A* in Maths already and am the only one in my year to do so, so I have to organise everything myself. I want to do something because I'm doing Maths and F. Maths at A level so want to get an extra qualification.

Our entire set is doing the OCR Additional mathematics course. Our exam is on 5th June, same time as Physics... :frown:
Reply 10
Hi I'm in year 9.
My Gcse options are
Separate science
Engilsh language and lit
Maths
RS-philosophy and ethics
German
Geography
Product design
Engineering

To be honest, I don't believe you have a real interest in mechanical engineering yet, and if you even know what it is other than " maths". Right now, just relax, you are only in year 9! And 70% is good, you would have got A's if doing GCSE physics and bio on the AQA course :tongue: Just go with things and enjoy yourself whilst you still can!

Quick Reply

Latest