Engilsh language and lit
    Maths
    RS-philosophy and ethics
    German
    Geography
    Product design
    Engineering

I'm hoping to be a mechanical engineer when I'm older and so I am
    hoping to do well in all subjects but especially maths and physics.
    My maths teacher says I am on track at the moment to getting A or A* but in physics tests I am getting results around 70% I haven't started gcse's yet and we are doing linear exams when I do. Working at 70% now would I be able to get A or A* in physics?

ReputationRep:
    You're very similar to me. Im in Year 11 at the moment, these are my GCSE options
    English Lang & Lit
    Maths
    Triple Science
    RS
    French
    Geography
    Product Design
    Music
    ICT

I want to be a Pilot, so obviously I have to focus on my Maths and Physics too. Since I am in set 1 for maths, we all completed our GCSE's a year early (2 A*'s thank you very much ), meaning we're now doing a different course called the FSMQ which is basically the first few bits of A-Level.
    In our mock exams, Physics was by far my best out of the sciences, with 148/180 (two exams, 96/120, 52/60), but I remember when I was in Year 9, I was a bit down on my Physics too, getting high B's low A's. What happened? I realised how much I wanted to be a pilot, and therefore how hard I had to work at my exams.
    So my advice is, everytime you have a test or exam, just think how getting a good result would affect your life in the long term, I admit, Im a straight A student, but I wasn't a few years ago, and my preticed grades are (including my maths ive already completed) 5 A*'s, 5 A's, 3 B's

So I wish you luck in your GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Sam, have you got any revision tips e.g. past papers or mind maps?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what exam board your school is on. We're on the edexcel certificate in science, so I would get past papers from there. Actual revision tips, erm. I make flashcards mainly and read through them every now and again so it get planted into my brain, but I can't suggest anything to you as it depends on the person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave1999)
    Hi I'm in year 9.
    My Gcse options are
    Separate science
    Engilsh language and lit
    Maths
    RS-philosophy and ethics
    German
    Geography
    Product design
    Engineering

My maths teacher says I am on track at the moment to getting A or A* but in physics tests I am getting results around 70% I haven't started gcse's yet and we are doing linear exams when I do. Working at 70% now would I be able to get A or A* in physics?
    It sounds like it could be your exam technique rather than your knowledge. Have you tried speaking to your teacher or looking at mark schemes or past papers/answers? And do you know your theory well or are you relying on your maths to solve some of the answers?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in year 9.
    My Gcse options are
    Separate science
    Engilsh language and lit
    Maths
    RS-philosophy and ethics
    German
    Geography
    Product design
    Engineering

I wouldn't worry a huge amount if you're only getting 70% in Year 9. Apart from the fact that you've got another 2 years to improve until your actual exams, the style of questions in GCSE papers is often different to those in KS3 and you will be spending a lot of time on exam technique. Also bear in mind that, depending on which exam board and exams you take, a raw mark of 70% could easily convert into an A (such as with the new AQA science spec).

ReputationRep:
    My schools science board for gcse is OCR I'm not sure if it is gateway or 21st century though. I revised for my 1st chemistry test using a past paper and I got 92% so I think that is my preferred type of revision. My current topic is forces so I'm hoping to get 80-100% when it comes round to the test I will ask my teacher for a past paper when it comes to revision.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about OCR's mark conversion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam596)
    the FSMQ which is basically the first few bits of A-Level.
    I know its the wrong thread but which one are you doing, and when is it because I've got an A* in Maths already and am the only one in my year to do so, so I have to organise everything myself. I want to do something because I'm doing Maths and F. Maths at A level so want to get an extra qualification.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandaman7771)
    I know its the wrong thread but which one are you doing, and when is it because I've got an A* in Maths already and am the only one in my year to do so, so I have to organise everything myself. I want to do something because I'm doing Maths and F. Maths at A level so want to get an extra qualification.

Thanks
    Our entire set is doing the OCR Additional mathematics course. Our exam is on 5th June, same time as Physics...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm in year 9.
    My Gcse options are
    Separate science
    Engilsh language and lit
    Maths
    RS-philosophy and ethics
    German
    Geography
    Product design
    Engineering

To be honest, I don't believe you have a real interest in mechanical engineering yet, and if you even know what it is other than " maths". Right now, just relax, you are only in year 9! And 70% is good, you would have got A's if doing GCSE physics and bio on the AQA course Just go with things and enjoy yourself whilst you still can!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.