The Student Room Group

Is all 9s achieveable?

I'm currently in Year 10 and predicted mostly 8s or 9s with odd one or two 7s, do you think it's possible for me to get all 9s? It's honestly something I desperately want to achieve, so I am willing to do anything for it. The subjects I struggle with the most are physics and maths (edexcel higher tier) so if anyone could please let me know any tips to get 9s in these it would be greatly appreciated/
Original post by ms_24
I'm currently in Year 10 and predicted mostly 8s or 9s with odd one or two 7s, do you think it's possible for me to get all 9s? It's honestly something I desperately want to achieve, so I am willing to do anything for it. The subjects I struggle with the most are physics and maths (edexcel higher tier) so if anyone could please let me know any tips to get 9s in these it would be greatly appreciated/

Yes I think so, if you speed up your pace.

For maths: ExamSolutions
Physics: GCSE Physics Online

But is it really worth it to get all 9s? Depending on how much work it takes, it might be better to develop your supercurriculars for university (and maybe extracurriculars). Even Oxford won't mind one GCSE of grade 7, if you have mostly 9s in GCSEs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469

But is it really worth it to get all 9s? Depending on how much work it takes, it might be better to develop your supercurriculars for university (and maybe extracurriculars). Even Oxford won't mind one GCSE of grade 7, if you have mostly 9s in GCSEs.

Hi, thanks for the advice.

By speeding up my pace, shall i just mostly focus in Year 10 on the subjects I find the most difficult and kind of leave the other subjects for the summer/year 11 revision?
Original post by ms_24

By speeding up my pace, shall i just mostly focus in Year 10 on the subjects I find the most difficult and kind of leave the other subjects for the summer/year 11 revision?

A big part of your time should be on subjects you find most difficult.

But if you know which subject you are going for in university, you could use a large chunk of time for supercurriculars.
Original post by ms_24

Best free Maths websites are:

Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13
https://www.drfrostmaths.com/explorer.php

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/
Reply 5
Original post by ms_24

I think it's attainable I got 6 9s and 4 8s and the 8s I got were like 1 or 2 marks off a 9.
My tracking grades in year 10 were not that great either, for most subjects I was predicted a 9 but RE and English lit and lang were 6s on my mocks so honestly you're in a great place just have a study system to help you out with organising and I'm sure you will achieve your dream grades
Reply 6
Original post by ms_24

100%, if your so desperate,then getting all 9s will be easy
Reply 7
Original post by ms_24

Very achieveable. U just need to be willing to put the time in to do exam questions and make sure you are 100% sure u covered everything
Reply 8
Original post by ms_24

it is achievable but at the endo of the day its not that deep if your close but dont achieve it. Lets be real english is a pain and who can be asked to memorise alll those quotes unless your like me and have recently started the grind) As long as A levels are all a stars then its fine. Supercuriculars like having a good github if you want to persue computer science or ahieveing in olympiads matter.
Reply 9
Original post by ms_24

appreciated is the wrong word i menat to say valued
Reply 10
Original post by justlearning1469

legit what i said i wasnt copying you
Reply 11

legend muttley saves the day indeed Jamie frost is an absoloute legend for Dr Frost maths. Also the corbet maths higher 5 a day is an excellent resource for top students who just need a litter push
Reply 12
Original post by ms_24

For Maths - on YouTube, GCSE Maths Tutor (or something along those lines. He goes through literally every possible question by the different topics).

I would say that doing as many papers as you can will also help you to get good at Maths. Do as many exam questions as you can.

As for Physics, purchase the revision guides from CGP as they are so so useful for all of the sciences (except maybe Biology but you seem to be doing OK in that).

This is coming from someone who only dropped 3 marks in their Edexcel iGCSE Higher tier Maths exam and almost got full marks in Edexcel iGCSE Physics.
(edited 2 months ago)
For maths, honestly look at the predicted papers when they're released. I was TERRIBLE at maths and genuinely thought i was gonna get a U, i was predicted a 3 and got a 6 and im 90% convinced it was due to the predicted papers, they were so accurate.
Original post by ellxeeee
For maths, honestly look at the predicted papers when they're released. I was TERRIBLE at maths and genuinely thought i was gonna get a U, i was predicted a 3 and got a 6 and im 90% convinced it was due to the predicted papers, they were so accurate.

is it the mathsgenie ones?
Reply 15
Original post by ms_24
i do aqa physics, but i think i can still offer some help as i went from getting like 7s in it to consistent 9s!! i've been quite consistently at a 9 in maths, but i still have advice for it!

physics: have really good understanding off the basics. as when i realised i'd never fully learnt nor understood energy, took the time to go through and understand it - youtube and bbc bitesize were my best friends - and suddenly i was finding it much easier to understand literally everything else.

also doing (unsurprisingly) past papers and exam questions specific to your exam board really helps because you could be missing out on key terminology that stops you from getting marks even when you understand it. it also helps to check if you understand it in the first place, so you can see which topics you need to go over and need to work on understanding.

with maths, literally just do question after question, if you don't understand something, its on youtube and someone will explain in a way that makes sense - i've looked at a number of topics in advance just so i can predict early on if i'm going to struggle with it, and can therefore work on getting a decent understanding of it before its covered in class: which is where if you really still don't get it, you can get your teacher to help (or other students) - or you can get onto harder developments of the topic earlier, and become secure in it quicker.

look at grade 8/9 targeted questions especially, as this will allow you to test how well you actually understand and can apply a topic! similarly for physics actually, understanding to the point you could apply it to a question where its not explicitly asked will be how you get higher grades!
Original post by ms_24
Hello.
What I would suggest to help with maths is just a bunch of practice. What I've been doing is using this website: https://corbettmaths.com/5-a-day/gcse/ . It basically provides a worksheet for each day of the year for any level you want. If you are aiming to get grade 9's, then you're better off doing the higher plus worksheet, however if it seems too difficult at first you could start from a lower level and work your way up. They also provide the answers, so you can check if you got the questions right. I've got my GCSEs in less than a month, and I've been using these to practice along with some past papers for maths.
For physics I would recommend watching videos, especially if some of the concepts are harder for you to understand. I've been watching freesciencelessons on YouTube and I've found his videos really help. Physics and Maths tutor is also a website that provides a lot of revision materials for many different subjects, including physics. Making flashcards and mindmaps has also been useful to help summarise some of the information. Then I would suggest doing some practice questions and past papers, because a lot of the questions in the papers do repeat themselves from year to year.
I hope this helps. I am also someone who is striving to get most 9's in my subjects, so I can completely understand how you feel, and with a lot of hard work it's definitely possible. Good luck with your revision!
Original post by djdance133
is it the mathsgenie ones?

yepp

Quick Reply

Latest