The Student Room Group

Which A-level is the hardest and why?

Poll

Which A-level is hardest?

Hey folks :wavey: In your opinion, which A-level is hardest?

Spoiler

Vote in the poll and explain why in the chat :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

Foreign language: specifically Chinese. Imagine doing English lang and lit but in Chinese. Its almost like learning two languages because you have to learn the letter/spelt out form of Chinese and the character written form. Now throw in speaking practice with 4 tones, reading, writing, translation work: English to Chinese (and vice versa). Will take maths over Chinese any day.
Maybe should have had an other option but I’d say:

English Literature (respect to these students considering the types of texts you need to analyse and how you have to analyse them).

Further Maths (self-explanatory really).

Then maybe Physics or Chemistry (probably lean more towards Chemistry).

I’ve heard that A-level Computer Science is hard as well.

I’m saying based on the subject itself I’m ignoring things such as “the subject is hard because it has lots of content” e.g History, Biology, Philosophy etc.
Art is probably hard as well.
Latin is generally considered the toughest.
Edit: Sorry, I remember reading GCSE. However, it is likely still difficult at A-Level.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Rocks are pretty hard, so probably geology.
Reply 6
Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

My brother did A level physics and it was his lowest grade. I'm not doing it but I've heard enough from my brother and my friends. I guess the main issue is that the questions you get as well as the general content make no sense. A lot of people might say chemistry is the hardest but I think that's just because a lot of people take chemistry for the wrong reasons (studying medicine). People who study chemistry because they love chemistry find it perfectly fine.
Chemistry is hardddd
Reply 8
I'm doing French and Spanish A-Levels (I regret both tbh lol), and it's like doing GCSE English literature but in a different language
Plus there's IRP which is like the GCSE spoken language part, presenting a topic in the target language then 8-10 mins of the examiner asking questions in that language

Not my idea of fun coming from someone who really enjoyed GCSE languages
Reply 9
I do Art and Design, and we have to do 20 hours extra work outside of our lessons (5 hours a week). It’s such a shame as a lot of people see it as an “easier” A-level since it’s coursework, which is partly why I applied for it (I was advised to do 2 “academic” courses, and a creative)
Reply 10
Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

Computer Science has to be the hardest.
Just so complex.
Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

Philosophy 😭
Chem - only non-uni subject to make me cry
Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

Out of the three A-levels I study (physics, geography and French) I would argue that physics is the toughest, at least in terms of the exams. As much as I enjoy physics and the content is generally enjoyable (except maybe mechanics) the questions you get require you to have a very good understanding of everything. The calculation questions are usually quite hit and miss; some are ok but there are a few bad apples.
I would also have to give French some note for being quite difficult. There’s quite a lot of information to digest in the reading and listening and some of their questions require you to infer from the text/audio. As of yet I have not yet done a written response to works paper but it’s essentially like doing English again, but in a completely different language.
Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

In my opinion, religious studies in the sense of development. With my GCSE grade going form an 8 to an A-Level Grade E, it was a massive shock due to the essay-writing culture. I would not say that the content is too difficult or too much (even though it slightly is), but the actual exam which is difficult. For me, the most difficult A-Level depends on how suited you are to a specific subject/exam board/exam style as it depends. With business studies, I went from a BTEC Level 2 Distinction (Below Distinction) at GCSE to A*s at A-Level which shows how it depends. When it came to GCSE English, I was predicted a Grade 4 and ended up getting two 8s (2 marks off a 9 in literature); but in A-Level, I am currently sitting at a strong Grade B.

It goes to show how everyone will find some A-Levels trickier than others. Picking a universally difficult A-Level is impossible as people have their strengths. For example, an A* maths student may say their subject is the most difficult but would end up scoring a Grade C in english. These exams are supposed to challenge us as students and are all difficult in their own individual way where a student may thrive better with a different exam board, subject, type of qualification (e.g., IB, A-Level, BTEC, T-Level, etc.), or a mix of these! :smile:

Keep in mind that I am in Year 13 still, these grades will likely change. It was not until a few weeks ago where I went up 3 grades in RS after realising the mistakes I was making in my essays; I was on a Grade E throughout the last few months of Year 12 and first couple of months of Year 13, to go to a high Grade B+ (On the verge of an A).
Original post by Pwca

Spoiler

You missed out Further Maths - which is generally considered the hardest A level - especially the way it is taught in some schools when combined with Maths.
Original post by KungFuRabbit
You missed out Further Maths - which is generally considered the hardest A level - especially the way it is taught in some schools when combined with Maths.

Oops! That was silly of me because I've heard it's super difficult! Do you/ did you take it?

Original post by hannah.06
I'm doing French and Spanish A-Levels (I regret both tbh lol), and it's like doing GCSE English literature but in a different language
Plus there's IRP which is like the GCSE spoken language part, presenting a topic in the target language then 8-10 mins of the examiner asking questions in that language

Not my idea of fun coming from someone who really enjoyed GCSE languages

I had this experience with A-level German. The jump from GCSE was huuuuuuge and it felt like I was starting from scratch. I dropped it for Year 13 but sort of regret it...
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Pwca
Oops! That was silly of me because I've heard it's super difficult! Do you/ did you take it?

I had this experience with A-level German. The jump from GCSE was huuuuuuge and it felt like I was starting from scratch. I dropped it for Year 13 but sort of regret it...

I take further maths -we’ve done everything on the as level apart from mechanics and it’s November of y12. It feels like maths just gets thrown at you constantly but with hard work and a 9 at gcse it’s not bad really.
Reply 18
I take biology, chemistry and maths. Out of my subjects I'd say chemistry is definitely the hardest, although all 3 of them are pretty easy and fun to revise as you don't have to write mountains.
Original post by Pwca

Maybe the PE or Music or sociology option could be replaced with an “other/my subject is not on the list” option :smile:.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest