The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

What are the areas in Leeds like for non-campus accommodation?

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be starting an MSc this September at Leeds Uni and the only time I've ever been to Leeds was for the postgraduate open day. So I don't really know anything about what the accommodation is like.

I checked out campus accommodation but the only PG hall that wasn't half an hour from campus was en-suite and ~£120 a week. Which seemed to be a lot to pay compared to the private housing in and around Leeds centre. Especially when I'm not fussed at all about having an en-suite.

So I've decided to look at private housing. Mainly I've used unipol to search what's available. It seems to me most housing is either in Hyde Park, Woodhouse or Headingly. The trouble is I don't know anything about these areas.

Could anyone be so kind to tell me what these areas are like to live? If they're safe and quiet areas or not? Is there any other places that I could be looking at too for good housing. I'd rather be as close to the uni as I can as I'm far too lazy to do a commute.

Cheers guys
Reply 1
Original post by Jonnyishman
Hey guys,

So I'm going to be starting an MSc this September at Leeds Uni and the only time I've ever been to Leeds was for the postgraduate open day. So I don't really know anything about what the accommodation is like.

I checked out campus accommodation but the only PG hall that wasn't half an hour from campus was en-suite and ~£120 a week. Which seemed to be a lot to pay compared to the private housing in and around Leeds centre. Especially when I'm not fussed at all about having an en-suite.

So I've decided to look at private housing. Mainly I've used unipol to search what's available. It seems to me most housing is either in Hyde Park, Woodhouse or HeadinglEy. The trouble is I don't know anything about these areas.

Could anyone be so kind to tell me what these areas are like to live? If they're safe and quiet areas or not? Is there any other places that I could be looking at too for good housing. I'd rather be as close to the uni as I can as I'm far too lazy to do a commute.

Cheers guys

I did my undergrad at Leeds and my perception is as follows:

Hyde Park: fairly close to uni, studentville, not that nice

I think its about a 10 minute walk from here
Pretty much everyone you see here around here is a student - depends on whether you want this or not.
I always got the impression that HP was a bit more grotty than other areas and has high crime rates.
I would also that HP is the 'coolest' of the areas you mentioned.

Headingley - further away from uni, cheaper, nicer (where I lived)

Headingley is about a 25/30 minute walk (8 minute cycle if you fancy a sensible mode of transport) to uni.
I think its marginally cheaper, owing to be further away from town, but there's probably not that much in it.
It's a bit nicer than Hyde Park, probably a bit cleaner.
Still high on crime - I got burgled.

You're right next to all the pubs on Otley road which means you can happily have a decent night on your door step, and a cab to town is about £5.

I paid £73 a week for a large double room with large living room, nice kitchen, small garden and garage, sharing with 4 others.

Woodhouse
- nearest to uni - practically on campus

Don't know much about Woodhouse, I would guess its a bit more expensive but super convenient for uni.

Hope that helps. We got our house from oasis properties.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thanks Vousden. That's very helpful. Would you say there's an area I could look at that isn't high on crime or a massively student area? My MSc is going to be pretty intensive so I'm not bothered about being in an area with any night life or stuff to do nearby. I think I could probably push to do £400 a month/£90 a week for a double room (excluding bills).

Cheers
Reply 3
Thanks Vousden. That's very helpful. Would you say there's an area I could look at that isn't high on crime or a massively student area? My MSc is going to be pretty intensive so I'm not bothered about being in an area with any night life or stuff to do nearby. I think I could probably push to do £400 a month/£90 a week for a double room (excluding bills).

Cheers

The problem is that if you don't want a long commute, you will obviously have to live right by uni - the problem with this is that everyone has this idea, and therefore these are the studenty areas. The problem with studenty areas is that thieves that these houses will more than likely have 4+ laptops in so target these areas. Therefore if you want to live close to uni, it's probably going to be a high crime rate.

On a positive note, in student areas the number of houses exceeds the number of people that want them, meaning that the prices will be probably be lower in these areas.

Another area that you could consider is St Anns (search Burley on Google maps), it is very near Headingley, is a bit more awkard to get to uni, but is mega cheap and crime is probably not as high as it is not as studenty.

There may well be other areas that you could consider, but only ever being a student there, I don't really know too much about the more residential areas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for your help man. So by the sounds of it. I need to decide really between either being close to the campus. Or living in a quieter less student-focused area.Which makes sense as you explained it.

I'll check the Burley area. Do you know at all how easy/hard it is to get to the town/uni from there? I'm happy to get a cheap second hand bike for the year if it's a cycle-able distance.

I was just wondering about the city centre. Are there occasionally students do you know who manage to find places there or would it be too expansive for students to even consider?
Reply 5
Thanks for your help man. So by the sounds of it. I need to decide really between either being close to the campus. Or living in a quieter less student-focused area.Which makes sense as you explained it.

I'll check the Burley area. Do you know at all how easy/hard it is to get to the town/uni from there? I'm happy to get a cheap second hand bike for the year if it's a cycle-able distance.

I was just wondering about the city centre. Are there occasionally students do you know who manage to find places there or would it be too expansive for students to even consider?

No idea sorry - just have to look at estate agents' websites...

Google maps tells me its a mile and a half to get to uni from Burley. You can get a bike from the University Bike Hub http://www.leeds.ac.uk/velocampus/hire_a_bike.html
Reply 6
Woodhouse has a reputation for being a crime hotspot. Don't recommend it.

Hyde Park is a bit better, but because it's a studenty area it's a target for theives. Be sensible about your safety (don't get a house with a basement window you can climb through, always lock your doors, hide your valuables from view) and you should be okay.

Headingley's pretty good but it's further away.

You can get away with £75/w including bills if you look hard enough.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Muffinz
Woodhouse has a reputation for being a crime hotspot. Don't recommend it.

Hyde Park is a bit better, but because it's a studenty area it's a target for theives. Be sensible about your safety (don't get a house with a basement window you can climb through, always lock your doors, hide your valuables from view) and you should be okay.

Headingley's pretty good but it's further away.

You can get away with £75/w including bills if you look hard enough.

Woodhouse is the area directly north of the campus wasn't it?

What would you say about this area?
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.803489,-1.561003&num=1&t=h&z=15
Does this still count as Hyde Park technically? A friend said this area is less studenty as it costs more being closer to the city centre.
Reply 8

Does this still count as Hyde Park technically? A friend said this area is less studenty as it costs more being closer to the city centre.

That's Burley. I don't know much about it to be honest, prices tend to be lower because it's not a go-to area.
Reply 9
Original post by Muffinz
That's Burley. I don't know much about it to be honest, prices tend to be lower because it's not a go-to area.

Consider the Burley and Burley Park areas, it's the other side of Hyde Park from Uni, so still within walking distance, and easy to get to town. There are lots of students there but then also a lot of non-students so it's more of a 'normal' area and less crime. The city centre is not too expensive if you are sharing but is usually at least 450 a month for a one bedroomed flat.

Edit: The place you linked to wasn't Burley though sorry - the place you linked to was right next to the university campus. In my opinion that would be a good place to live since it's close to uni and town and not a bad area but might be more expensive.
(edited 11 years ago)

it isn't very 'studenty' round there but you're not far away from all that.

Avoid Woodhouse.
Reply 11
Cheers guys. I'll start checking out more places around Burley. I don't mind cycling into campus if it means I'll be in a nicer area.

I don't think I'd want a place by myself. I'd like to share with other students unfortunately I can't find many places in the city centre on gumtree/spareroom with other students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Here's another site to look at http://www.unipolnetletleeds.co.uk/noticeboard/NoticeboardView.asp?ID=11

Also here http://www.unipol.org.uk/Leeds/IFS/House_hunting/House_hunting_calendar/default.asp#link2 for details (forthcoming apparently) for housemate hunting events.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Hi there. Also this site: http://www.nestoria.co.uk/clarendon-road-ls2/property/rentHope it helps. I'm also looking for a private house to live for my Msc year starting in September, but still not find my dream place TwT.And Unipol manager told me it's quite late in the letting season now.
Original post by EvaL
Hi there. Also this site: http://www.nestoria.co.uk/clarendon-road-ls2/property/rentHope it helps. I'm also looking for a private house to live for my Msc year starting in September, but still not find my dream place TwT.And Unipol manager told me it's quite late in the letting season now.

It might be late in that a lot of people started looking in January but it's not late in that there are still loads of properties left and still a lot of people looking who want to pick up a bargain.
I've also replied to your St.Mark's post and I see you are a postgrad so that might be worth a look.
Reply 15
Hi just wondering how much you pay for bills per week? Im a student currently living in Leeds and trying to convince my friends not to do bills inc. as its more expensive, there is only 3 of us tho.... i cant imagine it being more than £10-12 per week tho, Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest